Profile for John Tierney > Reviews

Content by John Tierney

John Tierney (Wirral, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Greenbrook T5 Mounting Bracket clips for T5 Fluorescent fittings (SLL CNJ)
Greenbrook T5 Mounting Bracket clips for T5 Fluorescent fittings (SLL CNJ)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 25 July 2017
Exactly what I needed to reattach the fluorescent light under the kitchen cabinet. Arrived quickly. I will be buying again for spares.

High Quality - Extra High Magnification 12 x 50 Binoculars. Porro Prism. Lightweight. Fully Coated High Quality Optics. 12x50 Ideal For General Purpose All Round Use
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered quickly in robust packaging, these are exactly as ..., 3 Feb. 2017
Delivered quickly in robust packaging, these are exactly as described. Went straight out and did some star-gazing the evening they arrived. Light but powerful.

Clyppi Toenail Clippers For Cool Dudes, Well Groomed Men & Stylish Ladies | Perfect Birthday Gifts For Men & Women | Best Nail Clippers to Trim your Toe Nails | Popular Easy Grip Nail Clipper | Professional Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Nail Cutter | Life ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended., 10 Mar. 2016
Fantastic. I bought some cheap ones from a well-known high street chemist for about a fiver and they were rubbish - couldn't cut my big toenails with them. The Clyppi toenail cutters live up to the reputation from the reviews I read - very smooth and effective. Recommended.

Albert Einstein Mad Professor Fancy Dress Wig & Glasses
Albert Einstein Mad Professor Fancy Dress Wig & Glasses

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes you look like Albert Einstein with a short moustache, 18 Sept. 2015
I bought this for a fancy dress party (I suppose that's fault obvious) and it was reasonably successful. My wife had to dry the hair and cut it a bit, but it was ok after that. I only seemed to get half a moustache so had to make do with that. And the glasses were a bit bent when I first put them on, but were malleable enough. Everyone knew who I was supposed to be, including the guy who heckled me as I walked past Subway on he w to the party.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, 18 Sept. 2015
This cable arrived promptly via Amazon Prime but sadly was dead on arrival. It's going straight back - now I just need to decide whether or not to gamble another £5.68 or whatever it cost.

Glow
Glow
by Ned Beauman

4.0 out of 5 stars Inventive and pacy, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Glow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've enjoyed Beauman's previous 2 books immensely and this third novel did not disappoint me. I think the author's strengths are inventiveness (I have no idea what is going to happen next), attention to details (what seems like meticulous research) and a wonderful turn of phrase.

Glow tells the story of Raf, a young Londoner who finds himself immersed in a drug-themed international conspiracy when he meets Cherish, a mysterious half-Burmese woman, at a rave in a launderette. Whereas Beuaman's previous books have tended to use an style which uses a old-fashioned writing style but with modern concerns, this is very much a high-tech, modern international thriller style, but he transcends the genre through the intelligence and style of his writing. Raf has a sleep disorder that effectively makes his natural day feel like 25 hours rather than 24. So day by day he gets more and more out of kilter with everyone else, cycling round every 24 days - wonderfully described as being like taking a flight 1 hour to the west every day. The drugs theme seems well researched to me and the writing felt likes more streetwise, modern version of a younger, English William Gibson.
There was perhaps a tendency for a slight over complexity and a felt the epilogue was unnecessarily tacked on, but otherwise this was an intelligent, satisfying read.

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, easy setup, dodgy-ish app, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a robust, deceptively heavy speaker which provides excellent sound quality. Despite comments to the contrary in other reviews I found the setup very straightforward - switch on, wait for the solid blue light (a long 40 seconds!) but then just find the device in your wifi networks, name it and tell it your wifi password and you're in. The less clear part is the Panasonic Music Streaming app which is required.
I've only downloaded this on my iPHone 4S so far and once you've got the hang of it it works fine. But it's somewhat counterintuitive and the tutorial screens just get in the way rather than helping. You can switch from phone speaker to ALL8 speaker fairly easily once you've sussed it. But I had songs that I hadn't downloaded to my phone (I.e.in the cloud) and I just got a message saying "Cannot play this song" rather than anything helpful.
Once you've got the hang of it the quality is really good, you can control the volume really easily from the app, queue songs etc. I haven't tried the streaming from Spotify or radio yet, but playing my own music is fine and an get very, very loud.
It's a nice hefty weight and certainly delivers on sound and volume. You could definitely use this for a party in a fairly large room.
Having got this through the Vine programme I would have to say I would probably not have otherwise opted to buy this for the current £197 price tag. Having said that, if I had bought it for that I would have been satisfied with it except for the fiddly app, which I guess they can improve upon anyway.

Ravel Boys/Kids Digital LCD Sports Watch - Gift Boxed - Multi Functional- 14-20cm Strap - 3ATM
Offered by BM ENTERPRISE (UK) LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and accurate, 23 Nov. 2014
Bought this for my daughter and it keeps time really well. Wanted a cheap watch for an couple of exams and it was perfect. Has an alarm and an hourly beep and a stopwatch. She's worn it for months and it's deadly accurate.

Kinetic Sand Box Set Assortment (Multicolored)
Kinetic Sand Box Set Assortment (Multicolored)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 23 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is good stuff. Does what it says - hangs together well and can be used indoors with the shapes that come with it. The three year old really liked this and moved onto to successfully using cakes cutters to make cakes shapes with purple sand. Certainly passes the time on a wet Sunday afternoon. Not massive, but good quality - bit on the pricy side for the amount of sand, but works well.

Ultrasport Basic Nav Run 200 GPS Pulse Computer - Black
Ultrasport Basic Nav Run 200 GPS Pulse Computer - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit complicated and currently lacking transfer ability, 1 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this through the Amazon Vine programme and am not totally bowled over by it. I run 6 days a week, averaging 40-50 miles per week and my route tracking is normally done via Google Maps Pedometer. I've thought about a GPS watch for a while so thought I would give this a test drive.
Possibly because it's my first GPS watch, but even with instructions it's complicated to use. I've done 4 runs with it now, and I still can't remember how to get back to normal time. The printed instructions are ok, but search for an online manual for something slightly better. There are only 4 buttons on the watch (nothing on the front) and they are named S1, S5, S7 and S11. It took me a while to realise that the number refers to the position of the hour on a clock face. It got a bit easier after that.
Once you get the hang of it, measuring a run is fairly straightforward. Go into RUN or CHRONO mode (S7) and then hit S5 to search for a GPS signal. This takes about 60-90 seconds normally but once you've got it (you have to do it outdoors so you need to stand around or warm up) it doesn't seem to lose it. Once your timing your dun you can use S5 to switch between various display modes (Distance run, Time Run, Speed, Pace, Calories). It took the online guide to work out how to switch the units from Km to miles.
Once you've finished your run you can save the data. The version I received (which looks like it retails for £80+) doesn't include anything to monitor the heart rate nor to transfer data to a computer - just a weird (to me anyway) USB connector with what look like snake's teeth to align on the contacts on the back of the watch to charge it. A 10k run seems to use about 20-30% of the charge, so it's not something you can wear all day. I've been using it just for runs. One nice feature is that in DISTANCE mode it automatically shows you the pace for the last mile as you complete it.
I do like the fact that it's not too big or heavy - the Garmin watches I've seen look uncomfortable but this is ok and it water resistant to pouring rain, showers and a bath so far. Depending what mode you're in the main number you are displaying (TIME, DISTANCE, etc) is nice and big, but the other number (e.g. distance if you're measuring time or vice versa) are a bit small - I wear contact lenses when I run and the small numbers are a bit difficult to make out.
I'm still struggling to remember how to exit back into normal time mode after a run and as I've said it would be nice to be able to transfer the routes to a computer and view them. At the moment it's all on the watch so just numbers.
All in all it's certainly ok and I'm sure I will learn to use it properly in the end. Not sure about the value compared with the competition though. 3 stars from me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2014 11:11 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14