Profile for Man of the Third Eye > Reviews

Content by Man of the Thi...

Man of the Third Eye "Iago" (Glasgow, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Oliver Twisted [DVD]
Oliver Twisted [DVD]
Dvd ~ Signe Kiesel
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars as the production quality is poor and the acting is awful, 20 July 2017
This review is from: Oliver Twisted [DVD] (DVD)
Personally I think the reviewer rating this as 2 stars was being generous...this film is woeful. It has a zero budget and an incompetent feel to it, as the production quality is poor and the acting is awful. I'm amazed it was made in the 2000's, as it has a very old and outdated feel to it. The acting is terrible and it is lacking in all the usual slasher tropes, such as nudity and a 'scary' baddie. I picked this up new for £2 and I feel robbed at that amount. Watched once and sent straight to a charity shop for some other dumb schmuck who is intrigued by the title to waste their time on.

Skechers Shape Ups Xt All Day Comfort, Men's Fitness Shoes
Skechers Shape Ups Xt All Day Comfort, Men's Fitness Shoes
Offered by NUWAVE
Price: £89.98 - £213.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sizing, 10 Feb. 2017
I previously bought a pair of these in UK size 12 that have worn well and are still very comfortable. However as I've had them a couple of years, they have begun to wear out. So I thought I'd pick up another pair, as Skechers shoes are so comfortable. My previous pair I picked up in a factory outlet shop for a steal at £25. I had no objection to paying the higher amount for good shoes. However when I got these shoes home and took them out the box I noted how much smaller they were to the previous pair I still own. I admit that I can vary in shoe size between a 12 (for my Hush puppies work shoe) and a 14 - usually a 13 - but because of the size of the previous shoe, I thought the 12 would be enough. I admit the old pair will have stretched, but they were comfortable from day 1, which these were most definitely not - my feet felt like they were suffocating in these shoes. I have since ordered a pair in size 13, but a different colour, so here's hoping they actually fit this time.

Four Square Media 10 CD DVD Disc Clear Cover Cases Plastic 100 Micron Sleeve Wallet - 10 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Great covers for CD's!, 5 July 2015
Good quality item, worth every penny, as they are very convenient for transporting CD's. Four Square Media are on to a winner with this one. I would recommend to all.

Batman: Dark Night, Dark City TP
Batman: Dark Night, Dark City TP
by Peter Milligan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not essential by any means, 16 April 2015
The artwork is solid, especially with the first storyline, but the stories themselves are a major let-down. The first issue looks and sounds intriguing with The Riddler attempting to summon the demon of Gotham (after a failed attempt some 100 years previous) it is interesting to read the (sort of) back story to the home of the Batman. A similar storyline was picked up some several years later by Garth Ennis in The Demon (volume 3) issues 42-45 where The Demon enlists the aid of Hitman in taking down the usurped and exiled arch-fiend Asteroth who is attempting to raise the demon of Gotham called the Gothodaemon. That latter story never alludes to the previous one however. With this trade we are then greeted with three average batman storylines, one a two-parter that I hoped was connected to the previous one, but wasn't and was below average at best. That was then followed by one about a multiracial immigrant community in Gotham being targeted by Neo-Nazis and the Jewish portion of the community sensing similarities to what their elders had experienced in Nazi Germany then successfully raising a Golem to defend the community, which subsequently goes on the rampage. There is one other story, but I can't remember it as it was completely forgettable. Even the great artwork of Jim Aparo can't save the weaker stories.

All-in I regret buying this trade, as I felt it was misleading in that although it featured the title story, the rest was weak filler at best. I would not recommend buying this graphic novel and suggest that instead you hunt down the 3 comics that feature the Dark Knight, Dark City storyline. In fact I find it rather odd that it was even collected and printed in the first place, other than because of the current interest in writer Peter Mulligan.
Star ratings for the individual story numbers:
1 - 4 stars
2 - 1 star
3 - 2 stars
4 - 2 stars

Mens Boys Plain Canvas Wallet with CHAIN & Belt Clip (Black)
Mens Boys Plain Canvas Wallet with CHAIN & Belt Clip (Black)
Offered by Biggest Little Shop Online Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars I am now left with a useless wallet that has only just fallen short of Amazon's ..., 10 Mar. 2015
I bought this wallet on 15/12/2014. By yesterday (9/3/15) the change purse zipper part of the wallet had burst and come away from the rest of the wallet. Now I don't even use this wallet every day and there was hardly any change kept in it. Absolutely raging, as the previous wallet I owned was bought on a market stall in the south east of England for a mere £4 and lasted all of 8 years - zip still intact! I had to bin it eventually because the fabric inside the change pouch had torn, whereas with this wallet here the zipper completely came away from the material of the wallet.
I am now left with a useless wallet that has only just fallen short of Amazon's return policy. The zip on this particular one was flimsy to begin with and there was hardly any space for change and the attached keychain was really flimsy and useless. All in this is a wallet of poor quality and cheap design, without the cheap price tag to match.

FYI - I bought from the seller Leather Express Dispatch. Perhaps other sellers provide a quality product, this one does not.

We Are The Night [DVD]
We Are The Night [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karoline Herfurth

2.0 out of 5 stars Reality check; this is no Near Dark, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: We Are The Night [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film in the great 4 for ten quid deal that Amazon are currently bringing to us. Now it's not awful, but it is certainly no five star effort. The acting is ok, the story is not too bad, but we've seen it all before. Admittedly it is great to see a modern vampire film not taking the whole Twilight route, but then even this features romance. The film is very gritty and in no way glamourous, but the cover is VERY misleading. The vampires look glamourous and the blonde looks like an older Emma Watson. The women in the film are very plain looking (nothing wrong with that), but they have 'sexed' up the cover to sell the film and it appears to have worked quite well. In an age of all out remakes and dull vampire films, this is a bit of a breath of fresh air, but it is still not that great. The story isn't hugely engaging and is certainly not that original or inventive. I may seem a tad harsh, but I bought this film on the strength of all the five star reviews here and comparisons to Near Dark, which are completely redundant. The only similarity is the way the vampires emit smoke when touched by sunlight. Nothing else. These are not nomadic vampires and it does not carry the strength of the acting or directing of Near Dark.

Another negative point about this film is it is blatantly sexist. Very blatantly anti-male (the only existing vampires are female because they killed off all the male vampires, "who needs men", one of the characters professes). It's really not all that great. For a FAR superior story and character development about all-female, ultra-feminist vampires, try the comic series/graphic novel series from Vertigo comics called VAMPS.

On the positive, it is nice seeing more of the beautiful city of Berlin.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2017 1:57 PM GMT

Patisserie de Bain Sugared Violet Hand Cream 30ml
Patisserie de Bain Sugared Violet Hand Cream 30ml

5.0 out of 5 stars It seems to last a good couple of months even with frequent use, 20 Nov. 2014
I bought this as a present for my Mum when she was feeling under the weather due to stress at work. It really helped to pick her up. The hand cream seems handmade and is packaged in a lovely box. It seems to last a good couple of months even with frequent use. it also appears to be safe to use for those with sensitive skin. The hand cream has the pleasing, but delicate aroma of parmaviolet sweets. I can highly recommend this for anyone out there looking for a different, useful and thoughtful Christmas, Birthday or Valentine's Day gift for any or all of the ladies in their life. I'm sure they will be delighted, as it would probably be appreciated by most women of any age (and especially those in their late 50's, like my Mum!).

Pin [DVD]
Pin [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Hewlett
Offered by dave38957

2.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for the film. 1 star for the truly poor sound quality., 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Pin [DVD] (DVD)
I really can't say much negative or overly positive for the film. It was ok. It was 'meh'. Nothing terrible but nothing special either. The acting was mainly good (a few supporting actors were dubious) and the story was dark and twisted, without being anything new or totally original (the film is quite similar in alot of ways to the Michael Redgrave segment of the film Dead of Night - especially the ending). The picture quality was decent, but the soundtrack transfer was abysmal. I mean truly abysmal. I had the laptop volume turned up full and it still sounded like the characters were talking through a fish tank. It did impact, for me, on the film, as it was a struggle to hear what the actors were saying. It may be it is a faulty DVD, as it is certainly not a problem with the laptop, as other films work fine. Disappointed.

Fear X [DVD] [2004]
Fear X [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ John Turturro
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars Life in agonisingly slow, pretentious motion, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Fear X [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
l picked this up because I think John Turturro is a vastly underrated actor and the film has received such vast plaudits and kudos. It turns out that it was nothing but self-indulgent, pretentious tripe. Fair enough the visuals ARE stunning and the plot IS intriguing (at least initially), but the story is so over-stretched to ridiculous proportions and you end up with a film where not very much happens. The main character finds the tape showing the death of his wife, he chases after the 'killer' and then just as he nears finding the truth, the film ends. I realise this is done for impact and to make the film memorable, but it is just frustrating. One of the worst scenes was when he was being interrogated by the coloured police officer. It just went on and on with the hope of building tension, but instead it built nothing but annoyance. I do wonder if Nicolas Winding Refn places the pauses visibly on his scripts 'Character stops speaking and looks into the distance blankly for 30 seconds'. Followed by the word 'No' with a pause of 1 and a half minutes. I can appreciate slow burn films and films that make you think, if done properly. This is not one of those films. The Director's Hollywood films have been a mixed bag with 'Drive' being a commercial and critical hit (even if it did retain the Director's strong, Dario Argento/David Lynch-esque use of strong, almost violently vivid reds - which this film boasts) and Only God Forgives being easily one of the very worst films I have ever had to endure. An hour and a half of eternity that passes slower than time can keep track of filled with about 4 paragraphs of dialogue and about 8 words uttered by 'The Gosling'. It was yet another study in pretentious arthouse drivel, initiated by Fear X.

Such a disappointing film. I paid a quid for it - and I feel robbed not only of a solitary pound coin, but over an hour and a half of existence.

The Spectre Volume 1: Crimes and Judgements TP
The Spectre Volume 1: Crimes and Judgements TP
by John Ostrander

5.0 out of 5 stars About time too!, 9 Jun. 2014
This series has been far too long out of print. You could still get hold of tatty copies of the original trade, but I was much happier to settle for a nice new book. Although I already own the entire Ostrander/Mandrake run (and what a run it is!) it was great being able to 're-discover' the character all over again. This was back when DC comics were at a really creative high and were churning out worthy prize winners by the truckload, as such it has a real darkness to the book and a neo-noir feel. This is certainly not a kids comic. I have often wondered why this series did not fall under the 'Vertigo' banner of comics, other than due to that character ties to many Golden Age heroes and the Justice Society, it was felt it would be better to keep him tied in with the rest of the mainstream DC comics characters.
However I digress; The series re-introduces us to Jim Corrigan; old school police detective who is willing to bend the rules to get the job done and who gets his man no matter the cost. He uncovers his own mortal origin and how he became the Spectre, via the backdrop of helping an AIDS victim named Amy, avoid the serial killer who is hunting down women with AIDS/HIV and who eventually has Amy in his sight. All the while this is happening a Detective, who soon become a series regular, is investigating the mysterious Jim Corrigan.
In the mid issues we are re-introduced to Madame Xanadu who was an 'ally' and lover of The Spectre/Jim Corrigan in his previous 1980's series. She is out to possess the power of the Spectre, because with that power comes the ability to re-make the Universe.
The series also re-introduces us to old villains Shaitan (from Showcase 61) and his emissary Azmodus (from Showcase 60 - the first silver age appearance of The Spectre). The early issues of the series also help to build the foundations to many later story arcs, such as the origin of the Spectre and the questioning of his actual role in the scheme of things and his mission to confront and destroy evil. In the series we are also introduced to the archangel Michael and series regular Nate Kane.

All in I highly recommend this to readers who have never picked up The Spectre before, or those who enjoy the supernatural heroes and villains of the DC Universe, such as The Demon Etrigan or Justice League Dark. The Spectre is easily the most powerful being in the DC Universe who requires his human side of James Corrigan to keep him in check. He is the embodiment of God's wrath and was the angel of death who slew the first born of Egypt. The series is great because Ostrander brings a real human quality to such an inhuman character. Tom Mandrake's artwork is also first rate and reminds me of Bernie Wrighston's from his Swamp Thing days - high praise indeed!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6