Profile for Philip Wright > Reviews

Content by Philip Wright

Philip Wright

The Founding (Warhammer 40,000: Gaunt's Ghosts)
The Founding (Warhammer 40,000: Gaunt's Ghosts)
by Dan Abnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down,, 28 Sept. 2010
Like the title says, I just couldn't put this book down. If you are into WH40K then you will love this book. It is just full of meaty war. Characters are memorable and complex and the story is pretty solid too, which can generally be a failing of the books in this universe. My only gripe is that I don't have the 2nd omnibus yet. Can't wait to get it.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Upgrade Edition for XP or Vista users (PC DVD), 1 User
Offered by Kryonet Ltd (Est. 2000 & VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good improvements, 13 April 2010
I'm after upgrading from XP and altogether skipped Vista. What I can tell you is I absolutely loved XP and was loath to change. The only reason I did is because of DX11. What I can now say is that I really like Win7. It's fast and easy to use and grants a very good user friendly interface. The new taskbar and library system being on the top of that list. The only reason it doesn't get 5stars is because while it's good it doesn't seem to have pushed the envelope as far as it could. In the end it's still windows and there's nothing that they were going to change too profoundly but so far it's a pretty good product if maybe a bit expensive.

Xbox 360 Wired Controller for WINDOWS PC
Xbox 360 Wired Controller for WINDOWS PC

3.0 out of 5 stars Has it's good points and bad, 13 April 2010
K, so I've tried this with a few games now. Seems to work perfectly with alot of games without any configuration needed in game at all, which is a major plus. It's actually the reason I got it in the first place. It's probably the single most compatible controller on the market. It also has a pretty good build quality and seems sturdy. Still don't know if it's going to stand up to the test of time, but so far so good. My main drawback is that it doesn't work with older games. At least not properly for most of them. Some inputs do, but it will half the amount of controls available to you and it gets marked down one star for that. From what I've read it's to do with the Microsoft drivers. I never was able to get the user made drivers to work that many other reviews have talked about, but from looking at the control panel for them it seems like there is a hell of a lot that Microsoft could do to make them much better for everyone. That's the 2nd star gone. I can understand tho that these wouldn't be problems for everyone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 9:11 PM BST

Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Gaming Mouse
Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, 13 April 2010
What can I say, this is a really really good mouse. Fits in my hand perfectly, has a good weight and obviously good build quality. Since getting this my mouse movement has become instinctive. Not sure what it is exactly, just whenever I aim I do so without any effort on my part, no matter how small the target. I've been completely and utterly surprised by how good my aim has become. True I replaced my old mouse because it wasn't able to do small movements properly, which could be colouring my opinion, but even when my old mouse was perfect it didn't *feel* this good. I thought a 3500dpi mouse was going to be a bit extreme in the sensitivity department, but it seems to have really good drivers. In game I can adjust mouse sensitivity in the ingame settings and it will be as fast as I want, while in Windows it goes back to a basic speed. Don't know if this is intended either but damn it just *feels* amazing. I can't recommend this enough. Even if you aren't into gaming as much as me you will find a great great difference with this compared to a more standard mouse. This very well could be the best mouse on the market and for half the price of my last mouse to boot!! <3

Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" Widescreen 2ms LCD TFT  Monitor with Speakers 20000:1 DVI Connector
Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" Widescreen 2ms LCD TFT Monitor with Speakers 20000:1 DVI Connector

4.0 out of 5 stars Great image terrible sound, 31 Jan. 2010
The image quality is excellent on this screen and playing games in HD is fantastic (if your system can cope). I would warn that if you have a low end system and play games regularly, this may give you laggy gameplay. This monitor, possibly being too good for someone's system, however, isn't really a fault is it?
I was a bit worried that the 24bit colour would lower the image quality but it really doesn't. I can't see any difference, if anything colours seem more vibrant and colourful than my old 32-bit screen.
Like other people have said, the sound is crappy. I'd rather it didn't have a speaker, just maybe a line in and out for if I ever use it for a console or blueray player. Video quality is also freaking amazing. I've gotten blueray films since I got the monitor and have been amazed at the image quality. Some of them I also saw in the cinema and this screen is WAY better!
A word of warning, the drivers supplied with the monitor for the speakers don't seem to like Sigmatel on board sound very much. I don't know if I'm the only one, but they seemed to kill my sound for a few days. It eventually just came back, so I can't say if it was the drivers or if the on board sound was about to die anyway. Just to warn people out there.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 31 Jan. 2010
Gonna keep this one nice and short. When I got this my mind was blown by how good the sound was. I started to hear things in games and music I had never heard before. Installation took awhile because the servers for updating the software seem to be pretty slow but once done everything worked perfectly. What I will say is you need good speakers to hear a difference. I got a brand new headset for Christmas which was good enough for the card. Now I can never think of going back. Also, the mic on my headset is crystal clear with this card too.

Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter
Offered by NETWORK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars repaired my internet, 31 Jan. 2010
These are an excellent product, since getting them I have received no lag or lag spikes while playing my games. I used to get them all the time and it made my game pretty bad sometimes. These have fixed it. They are also extremely easy to install and even work on extension cords.

Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Keyboard, 31 Jan. 2010
It's a nice keyboard, the headset jack has come in really handy, since the headset jack on the front of me computer has stopped working, allowing me to switch between speakers and headset. I wish it would switch to speakers automatically when I unplug my headset, but I don't think that's a problem with the keyboard, just the setup of my computer. It's also nice having an extra usb hub up at the front of the computer thanks to the keyboard.
I love the touch sensitive media keys, but if I'm being completely honest, they may be a little too sensitive, as you can often press 2 at a time by accident very easily.
It looks lovely and the back-light is pretty sweet, and really helps when playing games in the dark as you can see every key. There is also a setting which highlights only the WASD keys and is a really nice touch. Again, being completely honest some of the keys are slightly dim, but it's not bad. The limitations of the power supply of the usb have something to do with it I'd imagine, but could be wrong.
The macro keys could be useful, I suppose, but I never use them. The only function I wanted in macro was the ability to put the computer into sleep mode at the touch of a button, but I can't. And the anti-ghosting is something you never notice till it's gone, but I've had no issues with it either way. And for those of you who don't know, anti-ghosting basically allows you to use alot of keys at once. Some keyboards limit you to 3 keys (it depends on the keyboard) and you hear a beep noise when you try to press more. This can be really annoying in computer games.

Looking back at what I've said, makes me feel like I should give this a 3star rating, but seeing as most the minor problems I've had aren't the cause of the keyboard, and that I haven't really used all it's features (macro keys could be brilliant for all I know) I'm going to give it the fourth star.