Profile for Clare Davidson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ella's Kitchen: The First Foods Book: The Purple One
Ella's Kitchen: The First Foods Book: The Purple One
by Ella's Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is helping me cook food my baby loves!, 26 Aug. 2015
The presentation of this book is lovely. Every page is set out in bright colours, with different coloured section labels, so it's easy to get to the weaning stage you're up to. It's got lots of advice, from what equipment you need to information on allergies. In the centre, there are two pull outs. One is a quick reference weaning guide in the form of a map and the other is for keeping a record of your little one's weaning journey. I haven't actually used either of them, but they do look fun.

We started off on a two week taste exploration where he got a different single vegetable/fruit puree every day. Tastes included potatoes, broccoli, avocado (a firm favourite), butternut squash and green beans (which he hated). After that there's twenty combination purees to choose from until baby reaches 7 months old. Most of these recipes make multiple portions (pears and avocado being the notable exception as avocado does not keep).

I haven't made every recipe, but every recipe I've tried has turned out well. One or two have been a bit on the watery side, but I suspect that was my fault! There's only one Alec hasn't really liked (swede, carrots and cinnamon), but I've kept the extra portions anyway to try him again. I like that there's a mixture of fruit and vegetable purees. I tend to make him one of each, so he effectively has a main meal and a pudding. The extra portions are handy for lunch times, too.

The recipes are grouped by age: 6 months, 7 months+, 10 months+ and one year and beyond. At 12 months, the recipes are all big enough to feed big mouths as well as little mouths. I love that every recipe tells you how many portions it makes (number of ice cubes for the purees up to how many adults and kids a meal serves). There's also finger food recipes, which I'm looking forward to trying.

All the recipes are fairly quick to cook, so I do them whilst I'm cooking everyone else's dinner! And if there's an evening where I can't be bothered, or haven't been to the supermarket to get fresh ingredients, I have a variety of pots in the fridge that I can turn to.

So far, I think this book is wonderful. In a couple of weeks I'll be moving on to the seven month recipes (it's scary how fast time is flying!), which start to introduce meat and fish. (There's still a good selection of purely vegetarian recipes!) I've already bookmarked the recipes I'd like to start with.

The Water Dragons: Too Heavy to Fly
The Water Dragons: Too Heavy to Fly

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for younger children, 13 Aug. 2015
I'm posting this review on behalf of my 6 year old daughter, Eleanor:

I really liked the pictures and the two dragons, Pearl and Silver. Pearl was my favourite. I liked spotting the plants, birds and animals on each page and finding out what they were at the back of the book. I think the story is better for younger children, but you'd need to read it to them. I'm going to read it to my baby brother when he is older. It has a nice message about being happy with who you are.

MegaGear "Ever Ready" Protective Leather Camera Case, Bag for Canon PowerShot SX720 HS (Dark Brown)
Offered by MEGA WEST

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely retro camera case, 18 Jan. 2015
I love this case! It has a retro feel and the colour goes nicely with the red of my camera. It's very secure as the bottom of it attaches to the camera's tripod mount. I like that you can completely unclip the main part of the case if you want to (front and back), whilst still having it securely attached to the neck strap.

Wanway B22 to E27 Socket Converter,BC to ES Extend Lampholder Base,Bayonet to Edison Screw Socket Adapter, for LED CFL Smart RGB Playbulb Music Light Bulb Speaker
Offered by guangguanguk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptors for Hue lightbulbs, 18 Jan. 2015
I have a few of these now for Hue lightbulbs, which are only available in Eddison Screw fittings, even though most modern lighting systems in the UK are bayonet fittings. They are a secure socket adaptor and are a very good price. They do the job! What more can I say?

Fae - The Realm of Twilight (The Riven Wyrde Saga Book 2)
Fae - The Realm of Twilight (The Riven Wyrde Saga Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweeping battles, personal terror and political intrigue, 8 Dec. 2014
If you enjoy epic fantasy, with multiple points of view, then you'll enjoy the middle book in the Riven Wyrde Saga. The Realm of Twilight is written in a sweeping, complex style, with several plot threads that are beginning to converge as more about the mysterious Fae is revealed.

The Realm of Twilight follows characters we got to know in the first book and a few more besides. For me, Ylsriss' plot thread was the most riveting, as she struggles to find her baby in the Fae realm. Aided by a young man named Joran, she defies, escapes and discovers more about the Fae. We will have to wait until the third book to find out if what she learns will be enough to help the humans defeat the Fae.

There are some interesting revelations. Some were hinted at in The Wild Hunt, whilst others are a surprise in this book.

Austin King details a complex setting, with different cultures, races and political systems. There's plenty of sweeping battles, personal terror and political intrigue to keep readers entertained.

Fairy Ponies: Unicorn Prince (Young Reading (Series 3))
Fairy Ponies: Unicorn Prince (Young Reading (Series 3))
by Zanna Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Unicorn Prince, 28 Oct. 2014
I'm posting this review on behalf of my five year old daughter, Eleanor:

"I enjoyed the story because it is exciting. I didn’t know if Puck and Holly would be able to stop Shadow. It was also very funny in places. I also like the pictures in it. It was the best of the Fairy Pony books that I’ve read so far. It was fun reading about Puck and Holly again. I liked reading about new characters like the unicorns and the guards. The guards got turned to statues by Shadow.

I think both girls and boys would love this book."

Crowned
Crowned
by Julia Dweck

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming story, with beautiful illustrations, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Crowned (Paperback)
My five year old daughter, Eleanor, and I received a preview copy of Crowned! in exchange for an honest review.

Eleanor's review: Crowned! is about a fairy called Quinn. She wants to be the fairy queen. She makes stuff to be a queen like a dress and a crown. She reads stories and thinks she needs a king to rescue her. The only king she can find is a two-headed ogre king. He is mean to her. She learns an important lesson about doing things herself without a king helping.

The message of the story is you have to make your own dreams come true.

I enjoyed it so much I want to read it again. I liked the rhymes. I loved the pictures, because they are colourful and detailed.

I think every girl would enjoy the story, because it's about a strong girl. I want to be like Quinn and make my own dreams come true.

My Review: Crowned! is a lovely story about following your dreams and not relying on others. Whilst the message was clear to me as an adult, it's also spelt out at the end of the story, for the benefit of children. Julia Dweck's rhyming prose is absolutely charming and the illustrations are very beautiful. There are some amusing nods to familiar fairy tales, such as the Frog Prince and Snow White, which make the story very accessible. At the end, there are some activities for children to do, such as finding the frogs and identifying the queens, so the fun doesn't end when the story does. Overall I would recommend Crowned! It is a good book to read to younger children, or for older children to read to themselves.

The Anonymous Blog of Mrs. Jones
The Anonymous Blog of Mrs. Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful imagery, lovely romance, 25 Sept. 2014
First, let me state that I don't normally read women's fiction at all. That said, Ellen Harger has a beautiful, lyrical authorial voice which really dragged me into the narrative. A devastating fire is the catalyst for the events of the novel, but fire imagery also provides a strong descriptive backbone to the whole novel.

I loved the juxtaposition of real-time narrative alongside the blog posts and comments, especially as this technique allowed us to get into the head of Mr. Write as well. It was a very clever way of including two distinct viewpoints in a first person narrative. I would like to think that this narrative structure is both unusual and original in its genre.

Harger includes beautiful imagery throughout the novel. The characters are well developed and the plot has a lovely romantic twist, which whilst not totally unexpected, was the outcome I found myself hoping for.

The House on Sunset
The House on Sunset

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope that there is escape from and life after abuse, 25 Sept. 2014
When writing this review, I feel it's important to remember that The House on Sunset is a memoir. In that light, the writing within the book is incredibly brave, but utterly uncomfortable to read, especially as I (luckily) haven't ever been in a similar situation. The writing is understandably raw, due to the painful topic and how recent the events depicted are.

The book puts forward an important message of survival and hope. There's an audience of men and women who have suffered, or are suffering, abuse who need that message. I'm not that audience, but I was still affected by the content on a deeply emotional level.

iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Washing Robot
iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Washing Robot

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at cleaning, but short run time., 6 Sept. 2014
I was a bit sceptical about how good a job the Scooba would do, so I watched a lot of YouTube videos by owners demonstrating its cleaning ability before I took the plunge and ordered one.

I have to say, it does do an incredibly good job. It's very quite and did a very good job of cleaning our kitchen floor. We have two cats, a dog and a five year old so a lot of mud gets tracked in. The Scooba cleaned it all up without any problems at all. I was actually amazed by how clean the floor was afterwards.

So, if it did such a good job, why 4 stars and not 5?

There are two things that let the Scooba down:
The charging time versus its running time;
The inflexibility of the cleaning cycles.

It takes roughly 8 hours to charge the Scooba, which is an incredibly long period of time. This wouldn't be such a problem if you could then use it to clean all your hard floors off one charge, but you can't, because the running time is only about an hour. Which feeds into the second issue. Rather than cleaning the floor and stopping like its vacuum counterparts, the Scooba has two wash time options: 40 minutes for a large room or 20 minutes for a small room. You decide which you would like it to do. It basically continues to clean the room its in for that length of time, even if the room would need a shorter clean cycle. Either one of these issues on their own would be ok, but both together are just annoying.

That said, it does such a good job at cleaning that I can almost forgive it for these two shortcomings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5