Profile for Naley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Days of Throbbing Gristle
Days of Throbbing Gristle

5.0 out of 5 stars The best roller coaster ride of my life!, 10 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It didn't drag at all for me - I think this was, in part, due to the very interesting, morally ambivalent character Sam Hay.

Township
Township

4.0 out of 5 stars hiccups?, 12 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Township (App)
Does anyone have problems with opening the game? This game is awesome but now and then little bugs stop me from playing the game :(

Lovely Vicious
Lovely Vicious

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Lovely Vicious (Kindle Edition)
This was recommended to me by a group user. I am so glad I took them up and bought the book. It is witty and I was utterly engrossed in the book. I will definitely read the next one.

The Rice Paper Diaries
The Rice Paper Diaries
by Francesca Rhydderch

2.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story poorly executed, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Rice Paper Diaries (Paperback)
I read this book because it was selected by my local book club. I don’t think I would have chosen to read it otherwise. Admittedly, the book wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The content was actually pretty interesting. What was disappointing, however, was that the author failed to develop the story. I realise that it is based on the experiences of her great aunt, which perhaps influenced the structure of the book, but the book would have been more enjoyable if it had been fleshed out. For example, it would have been nice to have a little background on the conflict and the links between the different sections (divided up according to the main characters) could have been much stronger. In fact, I am not sure there were any links. The events in each section follow on from the ones before it but the author fails to provide any linking paragraphs to make up for the time gap. Also, we are told snippets of information, such as the state of the relationship between Elsa and Tommy, but it is not expanded on at all. Having a number of chapters told from the perspective of a certain character isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if it’s done well. In the book, however, it left me with a few unanswered questions. Each section provides only a brief snapshot of what life was like before the author moves on. And reading the chapters that are told from the point of view of Mari seem unnecessary. As I was reading them I wondered why they were included. If it was to show the difficulty of returning to normal life in Wales after the war then the author did a poor job.

I am giving the book 2 stars simply because the content was enjoyable, even if the potential of the book fell short of what it could have been.

The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
by Glen Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 22 Jun. 2013
I didn't make it past the 4th chapter. The style of writing annoyed me so much. Like another reviewer said, it's as if he's more concerned with showing off how smart he is rather than writing a good book. For example, on the very first page he writes "vague ontological vertigo". WTH? I have no idea if the story is any good because I couldn't read anymore. It's a shame you can't give a book zero.

Entwined With You (Crossfire, Book 3)
Entwined With You (Crossfire, Book 3)
by Sylvia Day

1.0 out of 5 stars All filler, 9 Jun. 2013
This book was such a disappointment. I expected this book to focus more on Gideon and his past but it didn't. Instead it was just sex scene and sex scene interspersed with unnecessary drama (the whole Nathan issue was supposed to be closed at the end of book two - now there are apparent links to the Russian mafia - huh?). Nothing that happens in the book advances the story. There isn't even any character development. Eva, Gideon and Cary all have major issues to deal with but there is no mention of them dealing with it. One of the major issues I have with this book is that there is little discussion between Eva and Gideon about what happended with Nathan. It was a major event and yet they don't address it.

I even skipped through some of the sex scenes - too repetitive. Yawn! I get that Eva and Gideon are a couple who like sex but they don't seem to be able to just hang out.

This book is nowhere near as well written as the first two in the series. The way she writes about Eva has managed to put me off her - Eva is really irritating in this book. Take the whole issue with her rocker ex - it's frustrating and contradictory. I was rooting for their relationship in the first and second book but now I think Gideon could do better.

I am not sure I'll bother with the next book. I wish I could get my money back on this one.

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Song of Achilles (Paperback)
This book presents a stunning retelling of The Iliad. It is well written and very absorbing. On the front cover is a quote from Donna Tartt: "Captivating...A hard book to put down." I completely agree with that statement.

Apparently, Madeline Miller is writing a second novel based on The Odyssey. I hope this is true and, if it is, I very much look forward to reading that.

BAKUMAN GN VOL 13
BAKUMAN GN VOL 13
by Tsugumi Ohba

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when it looks like smooth sailing *spoilers*, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: BAKUMAN GN VOL 13 (Paperback)
This volume has a lot of drama in it; fortunately, it's focused on Muto Ashirogi and doesn't involve their respective love interests. It seems like the future isn't going to be great for Muto Ashirogi when Takagi decides to work on Loveta and Mashiro decides to work on the one shot alone (he's seeking to test his skills as an artist). However, Takagi's absence from the partnership was done with the aim of improving his skills as a writer and, thus, it is only temporary. So it seems like life is back on track for Muto Ashirogi when a new potential rival appears on the scene. I'm looking forward to the next volume to see what comes of this new potential rival and what it will mean for MA.

Tiger And Bunny: Part 1 [DVD + Blu-ray]
Tiger And Bunny: Part 1 [DVD + Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Hiroaki Hirata

5.0 out of 5 stars T&B one of the best anime shows, 21 Feb. 2013
Tiger and Bunny is a really good series. It presents an interesting twist on the American idea of super heroes. I liked the idea of the heroes being in a reality show. I thought it was a cool spin on what would happen if super heroes existed and ordinary humans knew about them.

This box set only covers episodes 1-7 which is a shame because I thought the series goes from good to great from episode 6 onwards. The introduction of the Ouroboros storyline, as well as the character with the mysterious blue flame (Lunatic), help to draw the series together and elevate it so that T&B is not just some silly anime about super heroes.

This series is well worth watching.

Rexel Ecodesk Compact Stapler 47mm Throat Depth Black (20 Sheet Staple Capacity)
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 May 2012
A great price and it works really well. I only need to staple about 5 sheets at a time and it's perfect for that. It also feels sturdy so I think it will last for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3