Profile for Asphodelia > Reviews

Content by Asphodelia
Top Reviewer Ranking: 931

Asphodelia (Brighton, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Irrefutable Evidence (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 7)
Irrefutable Evidence (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good to be left wanting more, 23 Mar. 2015
After six novels and a novella, you would be forgiven for thinking that, surely, by the law of diminishing returns, the next one in Melissa F Miller’s series might not be as gripping as its predecessors. You might also think that insurance is a somewhat odd choice as the subject matter of a thriller.

Wrong. “Irrefutable Evidence”, the seventh instalment in this hugely successful series, once again grips you right from the first chapter, and if anything, keeps you turning the pages even more frantically than its predecessors did by means of a really convincing plot that starts with insurance fraud and leads straight into a federal investigation into the Pittsburgh mob. Add a generous sprinkling of legal fairy dust, and the recipe, once again, works perfectly.

The only problem with Irrefutable Evidence is that it’s just not long enough - after the last frantic couple of chapters, in which, as I am sure we have all come to expect, our heroine faces imminent danger, I was left wanting more. But the ending - which Miller subtly signposts throughout the novel - does open new avenues for character development, and although that kind of turn is not normally one I tend to favour, I am positive that this immensely talented author will handle it brilliantly and turn it into another success for Sasha. I am very, very curious to see how it will all work out.

Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars A good investment, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used the previous model of this toothbrush before and it has lasted me for years. This newer model offers a wider base stand (more convenient if multiple people are using the device), Gum Care and Sensitive settings and the Visible Pressure sensor, which is very useful for when you're a bit heavy handed as the light flashes and you'll know that you need to be a bit more gentle.
Three brushes are included, which will help spread the cost of the device as you won't need to replace them for a while.
I'd give it 5 stars if it wasn't for the price, which is a little steep - however, Oral B toothbrushes last for several years so in the long term, they're a good investment on your oral hygiene.

OZ Naturals - THE BEST Vitamin C Serum For Your Face - Organic Vitamin C + Amino + Hyaluronic Acid Serum- Clinical Strength 20% Vitamin C with Vegan Hyaluronic Acid Leaves Your Skin Radiant & More Youthful By Neutralizing Free Radicals. This Anti Aging Serum Will Finally Give You The Results You've Been Looking For - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Vitamin C Serum -100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Especially good for sun sensitive skin, 25 Feb. 2015
Please note: I was offered this product free of charge by the seller in exchage for an unbiased review.

Skin serums take a while to yield results and therefore I waited a couple of weeks before reviewing this product. I'd used Vitamin C-based serums before - including one from a leading cosmeceutical brand. This serum is a not a 100% Vitamin C product - it also contains Hyaluronic Acid Serum which is a very popular anti-ageing ingredient. Although some may prefer a serum containing only Vitamin C, I actually prefer this 'combination' product because it doesn't cause the familiar 'stinging' that Vitamin C-only products do, and above all, it doesn't make your skin as photo-sensitive. I once had a very unpleasant experience on a sunny day after applying a Vitamin C serum without layering with SPF, which resulted in a 10-day long course of cortisone. This product is a lot more gentle and I've even used it a few days after a chemical peel (it might have been fine straightaway but I didn't want to take risks).

In terms of anti-ageing effects, it's always hard to give a definite verdict without waiting for several weeks, but one thing I definitely noticed is that my skin looks brighter and, for lack of a better definition, 'tighter'. I have also been using it on my decollte' area with similar results.

I'm very happy with this product - once again, Oz Natural doesn't disappoint.

Thermos Thermocafe Desk Mug - 450 ml, Red
Thermos Thermocafe Desk Mug - 450 ml, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Your drink will stay hot for hours, 16 Feb. 2015
I bought this mug for my husband to take to work so that his drinks stay hot when he's called away from his desk etc.
I can confirm that it's a very effective product - husband says that this mug will keep your drink hot - actually incandescent - for hours. He hasn't tried it with cold drinks yet but I'm guessing the thermo-insulating properties will be the same.

Great value.

Foundation Brush by Royal Cosmetics
Foundation Brush by Royal Cosmetics
Offered by Xtras Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 10 Feb. 2015
I recently started to use liquid foundation again and apparently these days you have to apply it with a brush (in my days, it was your fingers!). I didn't want to spend a fortune on something like that and a quick look on Amazon took me to this product, which had glowing reviews. I can see why - despite the competitive price, it feels like a quality brush. It was very easy to apply foundation with it and it dried well after I washed it with soapy water. The bristles appear to be of good quality and don't feel harsh on your skin.

I might buy other make-up brushes from this brand now: they are much cheaper than what you get at your local branch of the UK's largest chain of chemists, and of better quality.

Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush - 12.4 g, Charmed
Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush - 12.4 g, Charmed

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, creamy consistency, 10 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Recently, I visited a make-up counter and the assistant put some blush on my face: I was impressed - I looked instantly less tired.
I do use blush from time to time but in the morning, when I'm in a rush to get ready for work, I more often than not skip it.
I have used both cream and powder blush products before and in general, I found the cream type easier to use and above all, easier to remove if you accidentally overdo it. This cream blush feels very nice on application - all you need is your fingers, no sponges or applicators required.
The colour I was sent, 'Charmed', is perfect for pale, pink based skin tones like mine - just dab a little on your cheeks (start with a small, conservative amount!) and build up as required. Go easy and you won't look like a clown!

This is a really good product. I have tried a more expensive French brand before and in all fairness, the rival product did have a slightly more 'whippped', mousse-like consistency which was slightly easier to apply. But it also cost three times as much. If you're looking for a quality product at a reasonable price, this is definitely a great choice.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, 10 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lipstick is something in between a lipstick, a lipbalm and a lipliner. It's crayon-shaped but needs no sharpening (a great plus, in my opinion: as sharpening is often messy and wastes product).

I was offered this product in the 'demure' shade which is perfect for me as I have very thin lips and often they can look even thinner if I wear a bright red shade. This 'Balm Stain' feels nice and smooth - unlike any other 'stain' products I have tried in the past (inevitably they end up in the bin as they're very drying). It also has a slight peppermint flavour - but nothing too noticeable and it disappears very quickly. I love the fact that this product has a subtle shine to it, which again helps making your lips look fuller.

I'm very, very impressed with this Lacquer Balm Stain and would certainly recommend it.

Avojo Black Peel Off Mask Set of 4 Sachets (10ml each)
Avojo Black Peel Off Mask Set of 4 Sachets (10ml each)
Offered by Instant Beauty Fix

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff for not much, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried this mask as I have problem skin and blocked pores.

I found the application very messy - the product kind of spills everywhere once you open the sachet, so you have to be careful and use it over the sink. I applied it over my T-zone and let it dry for the recommended amount of time. As I waited, I felt a tightness on my skin but nothing to worry about.

The removal, as other reviewers pointed out, was certainly not a simple case of 'peeling off'. The mask only peeled off in certain places, and I had to really dig in with my fingernails to 'lift' a corner to peel. Some bits just didn't come off and in the end I had to rinse my face with warm water (no washcloth was needed). I think that maybe it's necessary to apply a really, really thick layer of product to make it easier to peel.

My skin did feel soft and smoother afterwards, and the next morning the effect was still noticeable. But is it worth the bother? It's a very messy product to apply and the results are certainly not earth-shattering. I'd rather not bother and stick to my home chemical peels.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin - 30 ml, Sand Beige
Offered by Miss Sunshine Boutique

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for oily skin, inadequate bottle, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I stopped using liquid foundation many years ago because I couldn't find a formulation that worked with my extremely oily skin. So I was keen to try this product.

First I applied a primer also from Revlon: Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml
I applied the foundation with my fingers as I didn't have a foundation brush (I've now ordered one). Due to the oil-free formulation, this isn't the easiest product to apply and it does take a bit of work to ensure that there are no streaks of patches.
I let it dry for a couple of minutes, after which I applied some mineral finishing powder and some blusher.
Despite the fact that the shade I was offered is a little bit too dark for my skin (Sand Beige), I was fairly happy with the overall coverage and colour (if I were to purchase this I would get the lightest shade, which also appears to be slightly more pink based).

Fast forward a few hours and by late afternoon, my forehead was, as usual, quite shiny. I guess there isn't yet a product on this earth that can withstand my oily skin - however, the rest of my face was less shiny than usual. Most importantly, the coverage on problem areas such as my nose and chin was still almost perfect (usually by the afternoon all the mineral foundation on my nose has gone). I blotted my forehead with my trusted Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheetsand looked ok.

My only problem is, once again for a Revlon product, the bottle. The bottle is just a glass bottle, with no pump, no applicator, nothing. So you have to really shake it to get some of the product out, and there's inevitably some wastage. Why can't the Revlon product designers improve this? I would have given this foundation 5 stars but I'm taking one off for the container.

This is definitely a good foundation for oily skin, if you can put up with the inadequate bottle.

3m 3 metre black Cat5e Ethernet RJ45 High Speed Network Cable Lead Cat 5e
3m 3 metre black Cat5e Ethernet RJ45 High Speed Network Cable Lead Cat 5e
Offered by rhinocables

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy cable, 4 Feb. 2015
Ordered these cables for the office as two new PCs have been set up. This cable was recommended by our I.T. consultants so I ordered three of them. I'm happy to say that the cables look robust enough and they do the job perfectly well. It goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot to get good quality cables.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20