Profile for Asphodelia > Reviews

Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced After Sun 200ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced After Sun 200ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Cold cream?, 5 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really nice lotion - I would use this as a regular body lotion too. Not sure if the 'cold cream' thing is a gimmick - I thought 'cold cream' was what moisturiser was called in my grandmother's day? but eh, it feels nice on the skin.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced Protection Lotion SPF50 50ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced Protection Lotion SPF50 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable SPF, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very reliable, no-frills SPF. I like the travel size (very handy for short trips) and the fact that it's not sticky. I would have preferred a lightly fragranced product but I know that these days 'fragrance = evil' in beauty products because of allergies. This SPF is very effective and reliable and well-priced and therefore I can only recommend it.

Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, atrocious Kindle formatting, 13 May 2016
As a foreigner who settled in the UK, I find this book the most hilariously accurate depiction of life in this country. It's all true. Follow the author on Twitter or read the book and you'll be able to understand Britain.

However: the Kindle format of this book is abysmal. Maybe it's because it contains artwork but it's almost unusable: bookmarks aren't saved, quick flicking through the pages via the upward swipe doesn't work, it's just a a disaster. I wish I'd bought a paper copy. Don't waste money on the Kindle version.

RockJam LED Finger Lights - Pack of 80
RockJam LED Finger Lights - Pack of 80

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for parties, but not for sausage fingers, 13 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These LED finger lights are a great idea for party, open air concerts and other similar events. You put the attached rubber band around your finger, flick the switch on one side and off you go. So far, so good.

However, the elastic band is really tight - I have have fairly small hand and average sized fingers but the band felt quite tight. Some of the lights take a few attempts to stay lit - they are quite flimsy looking and obviously cheaply made. All in all, they're good enough for a one off use and for handing out at parties but don't expect them to last very long.

Hawaiian Tropic 150 ml SPF 50 Pump Air Soft Sun Lotion
Hawaiian Tropic 150 ml SPF 50 Pump Air Soft Sun Lotion

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells wonderful and it's not sticky, 13 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only use SPF 50 so when I offered this Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen, I jumped at the chance.

I have only used it in the UK so far and I don't sunbathe - I use it for day-to-day walking around on areas exposed to the sun. It's been very sunny where I live in the last few days and this product did the job and I came home without even the slightest hint of redness.

The smell is wonderful and it makes you want to reach for that Piña Colada, without however being overpowering. But most importantly, IT'S NOT STICKY. Some high SPF sunscreens are really sticky - the last one I used was so sticky that bugs would stick to my skin! And hair and anything else. This one doesn't and in my opinion this is a massive selling point. I would definitely purchase this product.

Get Started in Brazilian Portuguese  Absolute Beginner Course: (Book and audio support) The essential introduction to reading, writing, speaking and understanding a new language (Teach Yourself)
Get Started in Brazilian Portuguese Absolute Beginner Course: (Book and audio support) The essential introduction to reading, writing, speaking and understanding a new language (Teach Yourself)
by Sue Tyson-Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic introduction to Portuguese, 6 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a bit of a language studies junkie and I've tried many methods over the years, in a variety of languages. I'd been hoping that Amazon would offer me a course in Brazilian Portuguese so I jumped at the opportunity.

The "Teach Yourself" series have never fully convinced me. I tried one for French in the past but I've always found the method slightly chaotic - with the introduction of basic phrases before the building blocks of languages are even introduced - and it's exactly the same in this Brazilian Portuguese course. Unit 1 introduces basic expressions and questions and conversations about professions, before clearly explaining how to say "I am/you are/he is" and so on. Sure, those concepts are introduced eventually but someone with no knowledge of Portuguese might get discouraged. (Disclaimer: I don't know any Portuguese but my first language is Italian, so I have a slight advantage over someone whose native Language isn't Latin-based).

On the plus side, the Audio CD is very good and each section is a separate audio track, which means that you can easily skip back and forward without having to rewind the whole unit all over again.

Some reviewers have complained that this book doesn't offer any interactive/online material. Personally, I think this is a good thing. There are plenty of apps and language learning websites out there who offer that kind of thing. As someone who learnt a second language before all this technology was available, I find a lot of those materials a little gimmicky and often very inaccurate with poorly recorded pronunciation tracks and incorrect grammar. This kind of book offers you a good, solid introduction to the language, at low cost and with no need for an internet connection - useful for anyone who uses their commuting time to learn a language.

One final thing: I found a typo in one of the first pages - in the numbers section, it says 'vinte e quarto' when it should be 'vinte e quatro'. It's a small thing but this shouldn't happen in a language learning book - a beginner needs to have the absolute certainty that the book is *always* correct.

Rapesco Galvanised Staples 26/6 mm - Box of 5,000
Rapesco Galvanised Staples 26/6 mm - Box of 5,000

5.0 out of 5 stars Staples you can rely on, 22 April 2016
When you work in an office you learn that there's a difference between cheap staples and good ones. Of course at my work place we order the cheapest stuff, which inevitably gets jammed in the (equally cheap) staplers. These staples were sent to me by the manufacturer, together with Rapesco Luna Stapler. Safe to say I'm going to keep these for myself and not take them to work - they're very good staples which won't bend and won't jam your stapler. Buy quality.

Rapesco Galvanised Staples 24/8 mm - Box of 5,000
Rapesco Galvanised Staples 24/8 mm - Box of 5,000

5.0 out of 5 stars Staples that do their job without breaking or jamming the stapler, 22 April 2016

Rapesco Luna Half Strip Executive Heavy Duty Stapler - Silver, 50 Sheet Capacity

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my stapler., 22 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my stapler. There are many like it but this one is mine. My stapler is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my stapler is useless. Without my stapler I am useless. I must load my stapler true. I must staple harder than my colleague, who is trying to outrank me. I must staple before he staples too. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my staple and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

I was going to take this stapler to work but it's too good and I am keeping it for myself. The front loading chassis with the magazine release 'for easy loading' makes me feel like a US Marine assembling his rifle. This is truly a bad boy stapler. The manufacturer even sent two boxes of ammo, sorry, staples to try with this baby. How can you not love it.

This is my stapler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2016 7:46 PM BST

Chrome Plated Ice Crusher | Cocktail Ice Crusher, Ice Cube Crusher from Sunnex
Chrome Plated Ice Crusher | Cocktail Ice Crusher, Ice Cube Crusher from Sunnex
Offered by TCB DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but you'll get great results, 15 April 2016
I've tried so many types of ice crushers over the years - they always disappoint. The worst are actually those included with blender and food processors: ice always ends up packed at the bottom of the jug and has the consistency of a slush-puppy.

This inexpensive crusher, however, really does the job. Yes, it's a bit awkward to use - no denying that. Ice is a very, very hard substance and you will need some muscle power to turn that handle. The handle will get stuck sometimes so you'll need to give the machine a little shake, or poke the ice inside with the handle of a spoon (I wouldn't advise sticking your fingers through the mechanism - those blades are sharp!

The only design fault is I find is that the crusher isn't very tall. Therefore when you spin the handle, you will keep hitting your hand on the surface where you are resting the crusher. I managed to scrape the knuckle of my finger pretty badly during one particularly difficult 'turn'.

However, the end result was perfect: ice crushed in the right size. I made some great caipirinhas with the ice I crushed. Not bad for that price at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20