Profile for gommine > Reviews

L'Oreal Paris Brow Xpert, Number 105, Brunette
L'Oreal Paris Brow Xpert, Number 105, Brunette

2.0 out of 5 stars No precision application, 10 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried endless eyebrow products over the years as I have a scar on one eyebrow and struggle to find products that will cover it. This Brow Expert pencil is some kind of hybrid product - something in between a traditional pencil and a gel.
The tip is of a triangular shape and cannot be sharpened. That means that once you've used it, it won't offer much precision.
The brush at the end is a standard rounded mascara brush - most eyebrow products now offer that kind of brush, instead of the traditional old style eyebrow 'comb'.
I was very happy with the product's colour (105 Brunette) - which matches my eyebrows almost perfectly.
However, the actual product itself is hard to apply due to the triangular shape of the tip, which makes a precision application impossible. The texture of the actual pencil is also neither here nor there: it's softer than a traditional eyebrow pencil, but it's still a solid product, therefore it's really hard to blend in. Needless to say, it didn't adequately cover my scar.

This is an ok product and will probably be satisfactory for people whose eyebrows are in good shape and only need a little bit of colouring. But if you have patchy eyebrows due to scarring or over-plucking, I really wouldn't recommend this. I personally use a combination of three products now: a gel from a leading US make up brand whose name starts with "B", and a liquid product that has been advertised all over social media (you can find my review under my profile here on Amazon). I apply those with a hard angled liner brush and then add some brown eyeshadow (again from the US brand, but any will do) to completely fill in the patches.

However, for this price, this pencil will suffice for a lot of people.

A Gentleman in Moscow
A Gentleman in Moscow
by Amor Towles

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific second novel by the author of "Rules of Civility", 25 Jan. 2017
This review is from: A Gentleman in Moscow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When Amazon offered me an advance copy of ‘Rules of Civility’ back in 2011, I knew by the first couple of chapters that I had a bestseller in my hands. I was right, and in the following months, Amor Towles’s debut novel took the book charts by storm around the world. Without a doubt, “Rules” was going to be a tough act to follow.

Towles’s second novel is set in the fictional Metropol Hotel in Moscow, where the protagonist, Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, is confined to ‘house’ arrests because of his alleged anti-government poetry. In the hands of a less talented writer, the setting’s physical constraints could have made for a very claustrophobic reading experience, but Towles’s Metropol is such a rich microcosm that you never tire of exploring its corridors, restaurants and barber shops down to the very last nook and cranny.

The story begins in the 1920s through the mid 1950s, and through the passing of decades and the decline slowly befalling the Metropol’s interiors, we are getting a sense of the huge political and social changes unfolding on the outside, interwoven with the Count’s storyline in such a subtle manner that one could easily mistake this novel for something of no substance. But that would be wrong: despite its closed setting, this is a ‘big’ story that successfully combines historical, social and romantic elements, and handles each strand with unrivalled flair and humour.

It must be hard, in this day and age, to write an aristocratic protagonist without descending into parody, or modernising him beyond what would be realistic for their time; but Towles achieved that with Count Rostov, a man who, despite his confinement, manages to live by the maxim that "If one did not master one's circumstances, one was bound to be mastered by them." As such, Count Rostov is one of the most memorable characters I have encountered in a long time - charming, witty and irresistibly debonair - but never shallow. There are darker moments in the novel, but although undoubtedly poignant, they are also brief, and as a result the story never loses that lightness that makes it so easy to turn page after page.

If “Rules of Civility” was a terrific debut, “A Gentleman in Moscow” is an equally terrific second novel, and one which firmly establishes Amor Towles as one of the most talented American writers of this decade.

Post-it Super Sticky Z-Notes, 76mm x 76mm, Bangkok Colour Collection, 6 pads, 90 sheets per pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Post-it Notes Dispensers, 27 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not much one can say about sticky notes but here goes it.
1. Buying brands other than Post-It is a false economy because cheaper sticky notes DON'T STICK. (I speak from experience).
2. These multi-coloured Z-notes fit inside most dispensers - I have an apple shaped one, also from Post-Its. Finally I have been able to feed it.

So go ahead, treat yourself to some multi coloured Post-it notes.

Piz Buin Mountain Sun Cream with SPF 50 50 ml
Piz Buin Mountain Sun Cream with SPF 50 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sunscreen for all outdoor activities, 21 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Piz Buin is a very reliable brand when it comes to SPF so I was keen to try this 'Mountain' variety. It's a creamy consistency, not sticky, easily absorbed on your skin. The 'cold and wind' protection is going to be very useful as I live by the sea in a very windy area - dreadful combination of sun reflection and wind factor. I will update this review the next time I go for a walk (the weather is not making it possible at the moment) but I am pretty sure that in terms of SPF protection, a Piz Buin product can be trusted.

This cream has a lovely scent, like all Piz Buin sunscreen lotions and comes in a small 50 ml tube which as well as being pocket size (thus appealing to men as it will fit in a jacket pocket) it's also cabin approved if you are flying with hand luggage only.

WUNDERBROW - Perfect Eyebrows in 2 Mins - Black/Brown
WUNDERBROW - Perfect Eyebrows in 2 Mins - Black/Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the hype? Yes, after a couple of attempts, 20 Dec. 2016
This product was advertised all over my social network feed and I was curious but worried that it would be a disaster - I am not a fan of that 'slug eyebrow' look that is in fashion at the moment. I looked at some reviews and videos and decided to give it a try. First of all, I sent a message and a photo to the manufacturer's FB page to ask which shade I should purchase; they recommended brown/black and said that they had a 30 day return/exchange policy if I purchased directly from their site. Promising.

The product arrived very quickly and at first I was a bit worried as it looks a lot lighter than what I would class as 'brown black'; however from experience I know that anything too black on my eyebrows is a bad idea (I have very fair skin) so their Jet Black shade was probably going to be too dark.

As other users have also said, the applicator is completely useless - it's like a lip gloss/stain applicator, so make sure you have a flat angled liner brush, or buy the product's matching brush. Following the advice of a YouTube reviewer, I put some product on my hand and picked up tiny amounts with my brush. Don't put too much on your hand as it dries very very quickly. I have to be honest, my first attempt wasn't very good, borderline slug-brows. However, having seen the YouTube video, I knew it could be done, so I removed it (using my own oil based cleanser from a leading brand, but olive oil will do) and started again. The second time round, I got a much better result. The trick, I think, is to user feather light strokes, and build up the product slowly. The blurb says that it's a 2 minute job - I don't think that's very accurate but maybe it gets easier with experience. I also used some of my own eyebrow shadow powder to cover the sparser patches and make the brow darker. All in all, the end result was very good, even covering a scar I have on my eyebrow on which no other product seems to stick.

I decided to test the Wunderbrow's durability and I can say that a shower, most of it was still on.. The next morning, my eyebrows still looked ok. Although I would rather remove all my make up at night, it will be nice to know that my eyebrows will look ok after swimming, exercising or on a hot day.

I must admit, I'm curious about the Wunderbrow's formulation: the manufacturer states that it contains 'hair-like fibers' but the product looks like a very runny liquid. If there are fibres, they must be micronised because you honestly can't see them. I'm not saying that's a good or band thing - just curious.

All in all, I have to say that Wunderbrow is worth the hype, but don't try it for the first time when you're getting ready for work in the morning - it definitely needs a couple of trial runs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2017 2:28 PM GMT

Aussel Transparent Clear Acrylic Lipstick & Brush Holder Storage Display Stand Cosmetic Stand Rack Holder Organizer Makeup Case (Size 3)
Offered by Aussel

4.0 out of 5 stars For a tidy make-up shelf, 19 Dec. 2016
This is such a simple item - a 3-compartment, transparent plastic pot - and yet it makes a huge difference in terms of storing your make up brushes. Now my make up shelf is a lot tidier. I might buy more of these to store my nail polish bottles, mascaras, eyeliners and so on. Great value.

Damn Fine Cherry Pie: The Unauthorised Cookbook Inspired by the TV Show Twin Peaks
by Lindsey Bowden

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' Christmas gift for Twin Peaks fans, 19 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Damn fine coffee!" was one of my favourite catchphrases in my teens, when I was a huge fan of Twin Peaks so unsurprisingly, this book, an unauthorised cookbook based on the show, is bringing back a lot of memories for me. I'd say it's more than just a cookbook: it's a really beautifully made, nostalgia-filled companion to the series, with snippets of information about the show, a section on the characters' trademark fashion, and even the instructions on how to make an origami owl and your own 'Ludo' set (a game featured in the show). Without a doubt, this book was made with love by a true Twin Peaks fan.

I have yet to try and make any of the recipes featured in the book (which, by the way, include cocktails) but Christmas is around the corner so what better opportunity to bake a damn fine cherry pie?

This is a 'must' Christmas gift for Twin Peaks fans.

Neonysweets Womens Capri Workout Pants Yoga Pants Active Leggings Black Rose L
Neonysweets Womens Capri Workout Pants Yoga Pants Active Leggings Black Rose L
Offered by Neonysweets

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and great value, 25 Nov. 2016
I was really impressed by the quality of these leggings. The material is nice and thick and they fit perfectly. As other reviewers pointed out, these leggings are as good, if not better, than those made by rival brands.

Rum The Manual
Rum The Manual
by Dave Broom

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for newbies, 25 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Rum The Manual (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm mainly a whisky drinker but a recent trip to Jamaica (and a second one on the way) have spurred my interest in this drink. As someone fairly ignorant in the matter I can't really give an opinion on the author's critic to different varieties of rum. However, I have similar books on whisky (including the excellent guide by Michael Jackson) and I was expecting more detailed tasting notes and information about the distilleries. Also, as another reviewer pointed out, the author didn't include a price range for the rums which is a shame because I'd love to try them all but some might be way out of my budget.

The most interesting part of the book is the first half, in which author gives a very detailed history of rum and even touches on similar spirits such as cachaça. It's fascinating how the evolution of a spirit is so closely intertwined with a country's colonial past.

One last note - I found a couple of typos in the book - including my pet hate, an 'it's' instead of 'its'. I would expect that a professionally published book would have been professionally proof-read.

All in all, a good addition to your 'drinks cabinet' shelf and a good starting point for newbies like me.

JAPONESQUE Power Curl Eyelash Curler
JAPONESQUE Power Curl Eyelash Curler

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been wasting my time for the last 20 years..., 15 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the same cheap eyelash curler for years - I think I've had it since I was at university. I've always wanted to try a 'good' eyelash curler as mine really made very little difference but it's hard to justify the purchase of something so ...frivolous. So I jumped at the chance to try this Japonesque curler.

Well. This thing actually does what it's supposed to do: i.e. it CURLS your eyelashes! It curls them so well that you have to be careful not to curl too much because otherwise applying mascara becomes really difficult. I wonder what the heck I thought I'd been doing with my old one - effectively it did absolutely nothing. Oh well. This kiddie is definitely what you want to get those big doe eyes that will break many hearts.

PS: Replacement rubber pads are available from the manufacturer (apparently).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20