Profile for Dreamfly > Reviews

Requiem for a Species
Requiem for a Species
by Clive Hamilton

2.0 out of 5 stars Foregone Conclusion, 29 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Requiem for a Species (Hardcover)
This book contains some interesting analysis of the possible reasons why we don't accept the reality of climate change, some of which was new to me. Unfortunately the author has already decided from the outset that the case is hopeless and there is no solution. By the end he's telling us that nine-tenths of the world's population is going to die, and hinting that global warming is Divine punishment for mankind's hubris in divorcing ourselves from Nature. Well, it's a point of view, but not one that lends itself to the search for positive solutions to the difficult and painful dilemma the human species finds itself in at the moment - as the author proves by rubbishing every effort to actually do something (geoengineering, technological solutions to carbon emissions, etc) as yet more hubris, bound to fail and likely to make things worse. I think of myself as a bit of a pessimist and find most people's relative lack of concern about global warming worrying and irritating, but this book did not help me find a way of addressing their attitudes in a positive way which is actually likely to help us all face up to the new reality.