Profile for Mme DLR > Reviews

Content by Mme DLR

Mme DLR (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Delicious Alchemy Gluten and Dairy Free Rice Flake Porridge 450 g (Pack of 3)
Delicious Alchemy Gluten and Dairy Free Rice Flake Porridge 450 g (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for an alternative to oats..., 3 Mar. 2016
I've recently gone off my morning porridge and was looking for an alternative that was sugar and wheat free. These flakes were perfect. They're as filling as porridge, if not quite as tasty. The packaging is good and each packet is lasting me about a week. If you're looking for an alternative to wheat or oats, I'd definitely try these.

The Three
The Three
by Sarah Lotz

2.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't recommend this, 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Three (Paperback)
I gave up with this book on p.129, which is rare for me because normally I will grit my teeth and read a book to the end. Actually, I didn't even make the active decision of giving up. I just put it down and never picked it up again. That's the effect the book had on me: I didn't hate it, it just failed to grasp me in any meaningful way.

I didn't like the 'reportage' style and by constantly jumping around there was never a single character I could identify with and follow through the story. The premise is intriguing (though I felt it owed more than a passing nod to James Herbert's The Survivor) but the execution unengaging. I also felt the book thought it was much more clever than it actually was. Despite using lots of different styles and points of view, to my ear they were all in the same voice. Ultimately I found it rather boring.

Sorry, but I couldn't recommend this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2017 4:47 PM BST

The Grief Recovery Handbook, 20th Anniversary Expanded Edition: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses including Health, Career, and Faith: (20th Anniversary Edition)
by John W. James

2.0 out of 5 stars After so many positive reviews... a voice of dissent, 23 Feb. 2016
Last year I suffered a bereavement and have had a few bad days since. I was looking for a self-help book and based on the reviews here thought I’d give this a go. I’m afraid to say it didn’t work for me.

First, there’s the tone which I found a bit simplistic and patronising. It’s also very much geared towards the US market. The book is repetitive, going over the same material again and again. It is highly critical of distractions from grief, for example (on p. 34) telling you to keep-busy or later to avoid fantasy films/books as a way of escaping. Obviously you can’t avoid your grief indefinitely – but equally, I feel you are entitled to moments of relief. If that means escaping for a couple of hours in a film, that’s fine. And what’s the alternative to keeping busy? Doing nothing and just collapsing into a slump? I found the book was too blunt, suggesting you should avoid such things altogether rather than allowing yourself some respite while making sure they don’t become a crutch.

I didn’t find the whole drawing a loss history graph helpful. Again, it might work for some people but my brain didn’t respond to it at all. I kept thinking of that Robin Williams line in ‘Dead Poets Society’ (where the text book tries to gauge the quality of a poem by means of a graph): it’s poetry, you’re not laying pipe! Similarly with the ‘Grief Recovery book’. Grief is a complex emotion. For lots of people, drawing a graph will be an exercise in pointlessness. If anyone is familiar with Myers-Briggs, I’d guess the writers of the book are very much S-type personalities. Everything is about systems; there’s little room for intuition or instinctively feeling you way through the emotion of grief. If you want further proof of this, on p.130 it tells you the exact measurements of the paper you need to deal with grief: 8 ½” x 11”. Clearly their system doesn’t work, nor can grief be ameliorated, if you’re using paper of other sizes.

By this point I was getting angry! Which brings me on to my biggest criticism of the book. Towards the end it states how its trademarked recovery system works for everyone and – crucially – if you’re not feeling better it is something to do with you. You are failing in moving on from your grief because you have not understood or used the book properly. I felt this was a very ill-judged attitude to take, especially to people who may already be fragile because of a loss.

The above is obviously only my personal opinion. Clearly for other readers it has worked and I’m glad they have found comfort in these pages. But I wanted to be a voice of dissent and say this rather dogmatic book might not be for everyone. I certainly got no help from it. Doubtless devotees of the system will shoot me down which (if it happens) will be revealing in itself. Buy the book and make up your own mind, but if you’re feeling vulnerable after a loss, please be careful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2016 2:56 PM GMT

Milliard Blue Round Yoga Bolster - 25cm W x 70cm H
Milliard Blue Round Yoga Bolster - 25cm W x 70cm H

4.0 out of 5 stars Just to let you know if you're thinking of buying one of these..., 16 Feb. 2016
Nothing wrong with this bolster as such... but if you're thinking of buying one a quick word of warning.

It's much bigger than the 'standard' sized bolster you get in yoga classes. I know the description makes this clear but I didn't realise just how much bigger it was till it arrived. No problem for exercises etc, though if you're using it behind your knees to ease your lower back I'm not sure how the extra height would affect your posture. The main issue for me was storage. It was too big to put away in a cupboard: in the end I returned mine.

So, a good product but maybe too big for some people.

Monsters: Dark Continent [DVD] [2015]
Monsters: Dark Continent [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Johnny Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire...disappointing, 20 Jan. 2016
Dire! I was a great fan of the first movie - an unexpected, surprisingly tender combination of road movie, romance and monster film. I was initially excited when I heard a sequel was in preparation, then feared the worse when I heard it was set in Iraq. But I couldn't have imagined just how bad the finished film would be.

The opening minutes seem to be nothing but thrash metal and men swearing and screaming at each other. This might have been meant as characterisation but to me it was just shouting. Then we move to the Middle East, get a few glimpses of the monsters before the film settles into 'Hurt Locker' mode. I mean, is it a sci-fi monster movie or a war movie? I'm not sure the writers knew. Next a night time mission and then, 30 mins in, I decided I wasn't going to waste any more of my time and switched it off. I can't remember the last time I didn't see a film through to the end but this was so bad, so boring, I couldn't face any more. Terribly disappointing.

The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Saturday night movie, 17 Sept. 2012
This is a perfect Saturday night movie! More than just a dumb thriller, with some real substance - but not so taxing your brain hurts. It's even better if, like me, you don't know what the central premise is and it gradually creeps up on you.

The script is very good, the characters engaging (I really cared for them); this is strengthened by some excellent acting. Even Keanu, who I normally think of as terribly wooden, does a good turn holding his own against Pacino's usual bombastic performance. I also found it genuinely chilling with some jump-out-of-the-seat moments. [Slight spoiler alert]. The double twist at the end is brilliant!

An intelligent, scary thriller.

Iron Sky [DVD]
Iron Sky [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Dietze
Offered by Champion Toys

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
I love alternate histories about the Nazis so have been looking forward to this for ages. From the trailer I knew it was going to be a bit tongue in cheek but even taking that into consideration it fails on almost every level as a film and left me really disappointed.

What could have been an intriguing, exciting film has - as so often happens - been abandoned to the smutty puerility of the teenage boy market. If you think a Sarah Palin lookalike falling off a cross-trainer is funny or a battery running out of power, you might enjoy it but if you're looking for any substance, forget it. Even the plethora of references, everything from 'Star Wars' to 'Downfall', '2001' and Chaplin can't rescue this film.

The real shame is that there are some clever, satirical ideas in there but they're wasted. Even more bizarre is the ending which is solemn, even chilling... but feels as if it's wandered in from a different picture altogether. It only adds to the sense of confusion and confirms how poor the script is.

The only positives are the look of the thing - think Nazi Steampunk - and the special effects which are very impressive given the budget. For these and these alone it gets 1.5 stars. As usual I've rounded up.

Die Another Day - Special Edition [DVD] [2002]
Die Another Day - Special Edition [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Pierce Brosnan|Halle Berry|Rosamund Pike
Offered by Keepersdeane

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly fun for an undemanding evening, 3 July 2012
OK, there's an awful lot I don't like about this film:

-It's all absurd nonsense.
-The jokes are puerile - eg the anger management 'gag' after beating someone up
-Bond manages to survive 14 months of torture with not much worse than a ripped T-shirt and being in need of a haircut; he's certainly not lost any muscle tone
-He can lower his heart rate to zero. I mean!
-Elsewhere, villains can leap off operating theatres and fight like demons. The only time I went under the knife I couldn't do anything for weeks
-Bond has his double-0 revoked... again. How many times has this happened? Can't they think of something else new?
-There's no explanation as to how Bond, outside of MI6's pay, finances all his globe-trotting
-The plotting is daft - eg one villain has a pendant around his neck that leads Bond to the main villain; there's no attempt to conceal the connection. It's as crude and simplistic as that.
-Did they do any research on North Korea? It seems to have some very snazzy technology for hermit, backward country
-The 'jokes' are terrible (have I mentioned this already?)- `I'm Mr. Kill... There's a name to die for'
-Though that's considerably better than the stupid, smutty dialogue. Teenage boys might titter at the double-entendres but I just cringed
-Don't get me started on the cloaking device!
-And why, oh why do we have to have a girl-on-girl fight at the end with both of them in tight tops, their bosoms heaving?
S-omewhere half-way through the film the director discovered the slow-mo button on Avid. After that there's loads of pointless slow shots
-David Arnold's score is all empty, bombast...
-...Which probably doesn't matter given how unbelievably LOUD everything is.

Despite all that, I actually rather enjoyed it! Good, silly fun for an undemanding evening in front of the box. LOL.

Mum to Be Organics Luxury Bath Soak 300ml
Mum to Be Organics Luxury Bath Soak 300ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally fabulous!, 3 July 2012
As with the tummy cream (see previous review) this is a wonderful organic product and perfect for a relaxing soak. It claims to reduce stretch marks and while I can confidently say the cream does help, I'm less sure with this soak. Nevertheless it does leave my skin feeling completely moistured and soft. The scent is lovely: an invigorating lavendery-orangey smell. Just to note - this is a soak, not bubble bath, so it doesn't foam.

Mum to Be Organics Rich Tummy Cream 150ml
Mum to Be Organics Rich Tummy Cream 150ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 3 July 2012
This is the most fabulous product. It's completely organic; has a divine, sweet floral smell (I'm guessing the combination of rose and vanilla); and is very mild and gentle. It also applies well without leaving any nasty residue, the reason I prefer this to the oil. Best of all it genuinely does reduce stretch marks and is wonderfully soothing to the tummy. I'm on my second tub already and recommend all mums to be to get some themselves!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6