Profile for beaky94 > Reviews

Content by beaky94

beaky94

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kindle Paperwhite 3G E-reader, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi (Black) - Includes Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this makes the kindle feel even more like reading an actual book and I found it easier ..., 18 Nov. 2016
Bought this to replace my kindle keyboard which I had had for a number of years. The most noticeable difference about it, apart from having no keyboard, is the lovely bright white screen, I think this makes the kindle feel even more like reading an actual book and I found it easier to read than the old keyboard (although that too is good). There seems to be quite a few enhancements such as being able to preview pages, easily look at footnotes that I had not discovered on the old kindle. The page turning is quite sensitive so you do need to keep your fingers away from the edges of the screen. Once you get used to the new way of using the kindle (everything is by touchscreen) it works well and feels good. Can recommend this product without any hesitation.

SweetDreamers ewan the dream sheep - grey
SweetDreamers ewan the dream sheep - grey
Offered by Baa Baa Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonferful Gift, 9 Feb. 2016
Brilliant, just what I was looking for.

Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot

3.0 out of 5 stars It gave no real sense of adventure although it was very obvious that the author greatly enjoyed his work and was hopelessly in l, 17 April 2015
Whilst this is an interesting and enjoyable book, it was not the book that I was expecting. I was hoping for an account of the work and experiences of a pilot on a 747 airliner. What I got was some of this but mainly musings and thoughts of a pilot as he spent endless hours overflying the planet. It gave no real sense of adventure although it was very obvious that the author greatly enjoyed his work and was hopelessly in love with being a pilot and all of the privileges of observing the earth from above that this brought. .

Technoline WS 9257-IT Weather Station with Outside Sensor/ Aluminium Body and Transparent Frame

4.0 out of 5 stars A Weather Station worth considering., 27 Jan. 2015
I bought this weather station after reading numerous reviews to replace my ageing Oregon Scientific machine. The readouts are clear and whilst there are some differences between the two instruments they essentially do the same job. I especially like the ability to set the sun-rise clock to my local area rather than have a "London standard setting" I also liked the fact that the outside max/min temperatures are constantly on display. The only point I think users need to be aware of is that one can inadvertently set the instrument up showing absolute air pressure rather than relative air pressure (normal expression of air pressure). Otherwise the instrument is good, robust and very easy to set up.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must Read, 31 Aug. 2014
I quite enjoy historical novels especially if they are based on actual factual events (Ken Follett springs to mind as an example). I was therefore drawn to this novel as it was based on the Dreyfus affair although I had not read any Robert Harris novels before.
The story is set in the late 19th early 20th century in France. A spy in the French army has been identified as Alfred Dreyfus who is publicly humiliated and sent into exile. The central character in the novel Major Georges Picquart is appointed head of the army secret service and promoted to Colonel. Within a few months of his appointment he forms the opinion that the real spy is not Dreyfus but someone else. The main body of the novel describes his efforts to persuade his superiors of Dreyfus's innocence.
The book is exceptionally well written, the reader is captured from page 1 and is almost impossible to put down. Fast moving, intricate but never dull. All characters in the book are well developed and believable. A superb book which I cannot recommend highly enough.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 12 Jun. 2014
I as looking forward to reading this book as I greatly enjoyed Kite Runner. The book started well enough but even by chapter 2 we were getting back stories from character we had first met in chapter 1. This may have been tolerable if the author had kept the thread of the main story running but instead we got back stories from characters that we had not come across previously. In the end I had to give up reading the book and I was only just over halfway through. I hate doing this when reading but this book had become boring, irrelevant and there was no coherent thread running through.

Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Philips NT9110 Nose Hair Trimmer
Offered by US international service

4.0 out of 5 stars Pain Free Trimming, 13 May 2014
Having reached that certain age it became necessary to invest in a nose hair trimmer. I was really impressed with both the results and the fact that it was pain free. This is the only trimmer that I have used but I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper - Glossy photo paper - 13cm x 18cm - 255 g/m2 - 30 sheet(s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Paper, 13 May 2014
This really is top quality photo paper. Lovely sheen on the sheet and makes all photo prints look professional. I use it in my Epson printer and get first class results but I am sure that the same result would be achieved with other printers.

Procter Pest-Stop Cat Repeller Rods (pack of 4)
Procter Pest-Stop Cat Repeller Rods (pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars No convinced, 13 May 2014
Whilst these rods may have helped to repell cats from soiling the garden I am not convinced that they would be very effective used on their own. I have used them in conjunction with other cat repellent measures, such as scare cats and used in this way I believe they help.

Beat The Pest Set of 3 Garden Scare Cats - Pest Control Scarecrow Bird Deterrent

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Cat Scarer, 13 May 2014
Having been plagued with cats soiling our garden we placed these scarers at strategic places within the garden. The results have been good. Whilst they have not eliminated the problem it is now only on an occasional basis as opposed to daily before the scarers were put in place.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3