Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Dave > Reviews

Content by Dave

Dave

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
TomTom Golfer GPS Watch - Dark Grey
TomTom Golfer GPS Watch - Dark Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars It's just pot luck that the watch might actually find the course., 17 April 2015
The reason that I'm giving this one star is that it claimed to support my local club, and still does via the very, very poor app, but then the watch can't find it.

Note that the app has a "Is my course supported" link, which then takes you off to a completely unrelated website - that of iGolf.com. From this it's fair to assume that TomTom are getting the course data from iGolf.

However, there is no way to download the GPS information from the iGolf website to the watch, and neither the watch nor the app actually let you search for a course by name.

Hence, there's no way of really knowing whether your course is supported other than by buying the watch, rocking up to your club, and then hoping that it magically finds the course.

Mine didn't.

Would it have been so difficult in the app to have listed the courses and let you pick one? Would it have been so difficult to let you download the data directly from iGolf?

Clearly it is too difficult, which is why this watch can only score 1 star.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2016 6:42 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good at first listen - will doubtless improve with time., 20 Mar. 2015
I have this connected to my V90 DAC, which in turn is driven by an Apple TV, for the times when my wife gets bored of my music belting through the house.

I bought this to replace an old V-CAN II, and whilst it's very early days yet, I really enjoyed listening to some music yesterday evening (paired with my AKG headphones).

It can be connected directly to your computer by USB, but I'm using it with the V90 using line input mode.

It is definitely an improvement over the V-CAN II in terns of appearance, with just the headphone jack sockets at the front and all the other ports at the rear.

Very happy with it.

Musical Fidelity V90 DAC Digital to Analogue Converter
Musical Fidelity V90 DAC Digital to Analogue Converter

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this cute little DAC, 20 Mar. 2015
It's early days yet, but I've been listening to the V90 DAC for the last day or so fairly solidly and I like what I'm hearing so far.

I'm no great audiophile, so I'm not going to wax lyrically about airiness of sound stages or whether its bright, forward, or whatever. And anyway, my ageing ears probably can't tell the difference that much. And I'm using iTunes anyway!

Setting all that aside, I like the simple clean aesthetic of the product - it is so much neater than the old V-DAC II that it's replacing, with all the cables now at the back - and I am already enjoying the sounds it makes. It sounds good across a broad range of musical styles and I gather that it will only improve as it burns in.

I have it powered from my V-PSU II - along with the V90-HPA - so I can't tell you whether it sounds better or worse than when using its supplied PSU (and I'm not sure that my ears could tell the difference).

I was originally unsure about whether an external DAC was worth it, but if like me your music is all stored electronically on a computer, I can honestly say that you'll be blown away by the difference that a decent DAC can make: and this is a very decent DAC for the money.

I'm really pleased with it already (and I have to say that A1 delivered it in record time and beautifully packed).

So I'd highly recommend it.

Building 3D Models with modo 701
Building 3D Models with modo 701

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 16 Nov. 2014
This is an exceptionally lazy book.

Broadly speaking, it is just a catalogue of some of the tools in modo, presented in the most boring fashion.

It is more a glossary of terms than a modelling book.

Avoid unless you have never opened a piece of 3d software in your life.

Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles

2.0 out of 5 stars they're great escapism and I can enjoy a little bit of ..., 30 Oct. 2014
Let met start off by saying that I'm a fan of Bernard Cornwell's novels. On the whole, they're great escapism and I can enjoy a little bit of history and a bit of action without overly worrying about historical accuracy. They generally go along at a decent clip and are good fun.

So given his obvious interest in the period, I had high hopes for this book. I was disappointed.

It really brings nothing new to the battle, except confirming Cornwell's dislike of "Slender Billy", who is unique in the cast of characters for seemingly always being referred to by a (derogatory) nickname. It would seem to be only fair to have referred to Wellington as "the sepoy general" or "nosey" and Napoleon as "the little corporal" if nicknames were going to be the order of the day.

As have been pointed out in other reviews, there are errors of fact, but I'm fairly certain that if you wanted an academically rigorous account of the battle, you wouldn't be using this book anyway.

It's a personal thing, but I disliked Cornwell's switching between present and past tense when describing aspects of the battles. I suppose that he did this to add drama, but I found it disconcerting instead. I'd put it down to poor editing before I realised that it was intentional. Then it just annoyed me.

At the end of the day, it boils down to this: if you've read about the battle before, whether in Longford's "Years of the Sword", Weller's "Wellington at Waterloo" or the brilliant Barbero's "The Battle: A New History of Waterloo" then the only thing that waits for you in Cornwell's book is disappointment.

And if you want to learn about the battle then any of the three books above (and there are others as well) would be a much better purchase than this.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 10:55 AM GMT

Mechanical Engineering Principles
Mechanical Engineering Principles

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for engineering students - but buy the physical copy, 15 Oct. 2014
A really well structured book on mechanical engineering principles, which I'm enjoying working through.

Lots of problems for the reader to play with make it very engaging.

The only downside is that the formatting on the Kindle version is abysmal, and the light blue colouring used for highlights makes it awkward to read.

So forget the ebook version: go for the paperback

Brennenstuhl  1506603  Primera-Line Wattage and current meter PM 231 E
Brennenstuhl 1506603 Primera-Line Wattage and current meter PM 231 E

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs a re-design, 15 Oct. 2014
Someone needs to think through the design of this.

As you can see from the picture, there is a large portion of the device below the plug level, so if you have low sockets, then you can forget about using this.

More stupidly, by definition the cable of anything you plug into this is going to hang down, and thus obscure the screen and the controls.

Finally, the display is microscopically small and hard to read.

The information it gives is useful: it's design leaves a lot to be desired.

NETGEAR GS116UK 16-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch
NETGEAR GS116UK 16-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless so far, 15 Oct. 2014
Hard to love a switch, but there you go.

It works flawlessly, connects at 1Gbps when appropriate, and hasn't gone wrong.

So I can't fault it.

Draytek Vigor 2830 ADSL2/2+ Firewall Router with 4 Gigabit LAN Ports
Draytek Vigor 2830 ADSL2/2+ Firewall Router with 4 Gigabit LAN Ports
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 15 Oct. 2014
I've long been a fan of Draytek routers, and this one is as solid as ever.

Works well for me (I have two) and I use the load balancing and routing configurations to separate the load across our two broadband lines.

It has an easy-to-use management configuration interface and is robust in use.

Overall, a great product.

Koolertron 7" TFT LCD 16:9 1920◊1440 Monitor With HDMI/VGA/AV Input For Multi-Media Use
Offered by Kldeals

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy monitor for my Apple TV, 15 Oct. 2014
I'm using this as a monitor for an Apple TV in my office, because it's small and unobtrusive.

Does the job perfectly, but I'm not really using it for its intended purpose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12