Profile for Moray Greig > Reviews

Content by Moray Greig

Moray Greig (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Irene 3 (Spanish Edition)
Irene 3 (Spanish Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story in an alternative medieval Europe, 28 May 2017
I was hesitant to buy this book. But I am glad I did because I really enjoyed it.

There seems to be a clear shift in genre in the third book which I found more interesting. While the first two books in the series fall firmly into the romance genre, concentrating on the amourous relationships of Irene, the third book concentrates on the politics an intrigues of this alternative 14th century Europe. Irene ceases merely to be the object of desire and becomes immersed in the politics politics and alliances of the world which she inhabits. for me it is a great improvement. I look forward to the next instalment.

As a non-native Spanish speaker I found the book easy to read and understand. The different styles employed in the book (the narrative style of the author compared to the more gushing style of Irene in her journal) added positively to the experience.

If you like Flor de Jade, then this book will be much more to your liking than the heavy romance in boos 1 and 2. In saying that, it us best to read the first two books to understand the actions and feelings of the characters.

TaiPove 8GB 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Iphone6/5 USB Flash Drive Suit For IOS 9.0 with Double Plug (USB and Iphone Interface) for iPhone iPad Computer Mac and PC-Gold
Offered by Roludom

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work properly, 23 Aug. 2016
This product does not work. It does not let me store or access photos or videos in any way that would be reasonably expected from a flash drive.. When I open up the app, it tells me that it is a counterfeit product by the company that produces the app. Perhaps that is why.

I am unable return the product now. So it is a waste of money.

Die letzte Königin der Elfen (German Edition)
Die letzte Königin der Elfen (German Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent war story in a fantasy world, 16 Aug. 2016
This is actually a decent story that is worth reading. It relates a war among elves, dwarves, dark elves, humans, koboldes and ogres. The story is quite interesting.

Don't be put off by the information dump at the beginning. The author spends the first few pages describing the world. It is a bit clunky and hard-going. But once the actual story starts, it goes smoothly at a fast pace.The author does a good job in relating the course of the war, with its defeats, victories and interventions.

The story is told from 1st person perspective of a human noble. He comes across as rather naive for someone in such an important position. But it didn't put me off too much.

I wasn't keen on the ending, which was a little tragic and illogical. But this is a matter of taste. Some may like it.

The Campaign
The Campaign

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak plot, but funny in places, 16 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Campaign (DVD)
I thought the plot was a bit too silly and unrealistic for my liking, even for a Hollywood comedy. It also makes virtues out of attitudes that I believe are bad in scoiety.

However, it was very funny in places. If you enjoy vulgar humour, you will get the occasional laugh.

At 1hr 15 min, the movie was mercifully short.

Allegiant
Allegiant

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the book, 11 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Allegiant (DVD)
I was not a fan of the third book in the Divergent series. I thought it was rather disjointed, departed far too much from the original premise of the first book and had a terrible ending. I also thought that the second movie was a poor adaption of the second book. Thinking that the third movie would be another weak Adaption of a book I didn't like much, I did not have much enthusiasm for Allegiant.

To my surprise, I enjoyed this movie lot more than Han I thought I would. The fact that the movie plot diverges from that of the book was a good move in my opinion. The plot made more sense and had a more logical ending, in my view. I congratulate the producers for making a brave decision to change the story. In this case, they made it better.

The movie is not perfect. In reality, it is still just another action/adventure movie. But it is enjoyable.

Robot Overlords
Robot Overlords

2.0 out of 5 stars Contrived plot, 9 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Robot Overlords (DVD)
I found the plot to be rather contrived. Seemingly undefeated le enemies are defeated quite easily in the end by a number of lucky events.

The whole movie reminds me a lot of Mass Effect. You have a see seeminly invincible synthetic army that is controlled by a teenage boy in a sweatshirt. Even the objectives of the robots are similar to that of the reapers. Unfortunately, the ending of this movie is not much better than that for Mass Effect.

San Andreas
San Andreas

3.0 out of 5 stars Bog-standard 3 star Holywood action movie, 9 Jan. 2016
This review is from: San Andreas (Blu-ray)
This is a standard 3-star Hollywood action movie if I ever saw one. Over-the top action, heros that can do everything, boyfriend of estranged wife who shows himself to be a real git, the smart kid and the resourceful young woman. As a bonus we get a Hugh Grant clone with a non-descript posh English accent for the girl to no and again.

The best thing about the movie was that the heros wife was in Sucker Punch. Anything that reminds me of Sucker Punch will always have a positive impact on me.

The Impossible [DVD] [2013]
The Impossible [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent movie, 1 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Impossible [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is a decent movie potraying the experiences of one middle class family during and immediately after the disaster. I found it watchable and found it to move at quite a fast pace.

If I have one criticism, is that it was not tragic enough. This is not because I am desperate to see human misery and suffering, but because there was a lot of misey created from the tragedy for locals and tourists alike. I feel it was't reflected well in this story.

I get this impression from two things.

Firstly, there were little indication of dead bodies. We see a few in the hospital. But we don't see any when survivors are moving around the wasteland in the aftermath. Without having been there, I would imagine there would be many. But I get the impression the movie was sanitised, perhaps to not appear too gratuitous. Although the family, and especially the mother, suffered some gory injuries, the general death and suffering was not completely reflected.

SPOILERS

Secondly, the generally happy ending also takes away from the tragedy. Although a few families were fortunate to survive intact, this probably did not reflect the reality for most families.

I am in two minds about the ending. On one hand, I am glad the people survived after such a struggle. On the other, it gave a slightly skewed view of the tragedy as a whole.

I understand that this is the portrayal of the experiences of one particular family. On that basis, the movie does quite well and is why I give it 4 stars. However, the narrow view of the story also makes me feel that it wasn't tragic enough to understand what really happened there.

The Host
The Host

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Host (Blu-ray)
I just loved this movie. It's not really my genre. But I was totally drawn in. I love the main heroine and the General unfolding of the story.

The main criticism is there wasn't time to properly develop the male protagonists. But that didn't spoil it me.
For me it is five stars. If I am desperate to watch a movie again it deserves 5 stars. I have watched this at least four times.
I have since read the book. And I much prefer the movie. In general, the changes made to the story in the movie are an improvement in my opinion.

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent game, but not really an adventure game, 2 Jan. 2015
I really enjoyed this game and it is one of the few games I have completed.

However, it is not really an adventure game. It is actually more like a TOS action survival horror with some adventure 'tomb raider éléments thrown in. Also, the heroine kills far too many people to make it feel like Laura Croft. Laura Croft is more an adventurer. But this heroine is more like an assassin.

I can understand why some of the traditional tomb raider fans are disappointed as it does seem like a big change in genre. However, I never played the old games and enjoyed the mix of action and easy tomb raiding in this.

The game itself is quite easy to play. The game automatically saves, so there is never any need to redo lots of stuff if you die. The combat can be frantic at times, but I managed to handle it playing on easy. There are a couple of frustrating bits where I wasn't sure what to do or I had trouble getting past an action scene. But generally, I didn't have any major problems.

In conclusion, I enjoyed this game. I would recommend it if you like a platform er with some combat action.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9