Profile for Gra > Reviews

Content by Gra

Gra (COVENTRY)

The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer)
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer)
by Martyn Waites

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful Hammer, 3 Jan. 2014
I have been a massive Hammer fan since I was a boy oh and Mr Waites don't be embarrassed to have a large collection of Hammer films on dvd and Blu-ray just enjoy them. The T.V production scared the life out of me in the 80s. The play made me jump out of my skin . The original book terrified me . Yes I am talking about THE WOMAN IN BLACK the brilliant ghost story written by Susan Hill. Now the sequel is the follow up to the Hammer film version of T.W.I.B which had its moments but not very scary . The problem I have with it is the story is a bit obvious I mean where is the worst place you can send a bunch of evacuees?. Yep to a place that could not be more dangerous for children Eel Marsh House .As for Jennet Humfrye she pops up all over the place sometimes less is more .The last chapter I saw coming and had no shock value whatsoever. The trouble is as I read the book I could see the film and with more than one sequel being talked about I am thinking careful Hammer how far can you take this story ? Remember Dracula & Frankenstein even though I love Hammer films the quality of some of the plots where a little poor (Scars of Dracula , Frankenstein created woman).From the plot of the book I could almost see the negative reviews of the film . Just be careful OH, HERE SHE IS AGAIN I do not want that for THE WOMAN IN BLACK.

The Hammer Frankenstein (British Cult Cinema)
The Hammer Frankenstein (British Cult Cinema)
by Bruce G. Hallenbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to the baron, 15 May 2013
This book is the third book of the series the other books dealing with the Hammer Vampire and the Hammer Fantasy & Sci-FI.
As with the previous books this book is full of interesting facts and photos with a small colour section.There is a chapter on Mary Shelly and the book followed by Frankenstein films before Hammer. This is followed by chapters on all the Hammer Frankenstein films one by one .The last chapter covers Frankenstein after Hammer . If you have many books on Hammer Films and about Cushing and Lee as i have you are bound to read stories and facts you already no but this book still has a lot to offer in that department. As with the other books in this series i found this book enjoyable.

Peter Cushing: A Life in Film
Peter Cushing: A Life in Film
by David Miller

1.0 out of 5 stars LOOKS FAMILIAR, 27 April 2013
I received this book a month ago and wanted to warn people then but could not as Amazon would not let me review the book until the release date.This book is a reprint of the 2000 release THE PETER CUSHING COMPANION . Don't get me wrong this is a very good book about the films and life of the great actor. If you do not already own this book it is worth having . The one star is for the fact that with the new cover and title lead me to think this was a new publication .The book itself is worth five stars

Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Dracula and i welcome you to my house, 21 Mar. 2013
This Blu-ray and DVD set is very much welcome to my house. I have been a Hammer Film fan since i was a kid i remember with my brother trying to stay up late to see the latest Hammer film to be shown on tv .You read about the legendary Japanese print for years backed up by stills from the film then bang there it is to see for your self. Every thing about this Blu-ray is right the colour , the aspect , picture and then you get the added footage. This footage just adds to the film the seduction of Mina is electric and the disintegration horrific . All the extras are worth watching and the commentaries are entertaining . All and all well done to all involved .
Imagine being the chap to discover the lost footage and to see it for the first time , fangtastic . ( I know i could not resist )

By the way any one buying the DAVID MILLERs book PETER CUSHING A LIFE IN FILM ? I received this last week and it is basically a reprint of THE PETER CUSHING COMPANION first published in 2000. Still a very good book

Devil Rides Out (Blu-ray + DVD) [1968]
Devil Rides Out (Blu-ray + DVD) [1968]

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont look at the eyes Rex, 23 Oct. 2012
Thats better after my negative review of the BR CURSE OF FRANKENSTIEN i am more than happy with this version of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT . I think the new CGI helps the film even adds to film with out losing the Hammer charm . I will keep my old copy as well so i have the choice to watch either version . I wonder when some company will at last give us a decent copy of THE SATANIC RIGHTS OF DRACULA .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 11:42 PM BST

The Curse of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1957]
The Curse of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1957]

1.0 out of 5 stars Hi Def ?, 17 Oct. 2012
I was looking forward to this Blue Ray release and now i have it i feel let down.They must have found the worst print they could find . The colour looks washed out , the picture looks blurred . I hope The Devil Rides Out is better as this is with a different company .Oh well back to my Warner DVD .
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 9:03 PM GMT