Profile for Pashtie > Reviews

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
by Simon Garfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Just my type, 19 Nov. 2010
It's all about typefaces and fonts. Geeky indeed. It includes a brief history of the printing game, from Guttenburg to Letraset. The book goes off on a tangent about an important font every couple of chapters, giving us a more detailed look at the most widely used (Futura, Optima, Gill Sans). I found the parts on how a different typeface affects business - ie in terms of branding and product perception verrrry interesting (See easyJet [Cooper Black], Ikea [formly used Futura, now Veranda]) It would have be an inert read without hearing the human side to it. There are interviews from important figures (Nevile Brody, and Margaret Calvert for example) and these are worked into the text well. It's poppy, anecdotal, easy to read and of the times, just like font should be, I guess.

Excellent as an introduction to the whole font business, I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for the books and websites that Garfield mentions in his bibliography.

The first gripe I have with it is easily dismissed - it doesn't go deep enough. [In fact I'll dismiss it myself - it's meant to be light enough so that someone who isn't into the semantics of font can enjoy it, and those of us who need more can, well, go read more.]

Secondly, I'd love it in coffee table book-size. With colour pictures, this could be as good-looking inside as it is on the outside. Font is graphic design, so it seems strange having finished read it, that it isn't big and chunky like other such reference books. Having said that, its format makes it more appealing to pick up in a shop. It's probably just my horrible eyesight speaking, but I'd love if the example fonts and the pictures were a bit bigger. Maybe it'll be really successful and get an update!