Profile for R. Peres > Reviews

Content by R. Peres

R. Peres "Rui Peres" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Web Development with Clojure: Build Bulletproof Web Apps with Less Code
Web Development with Clojure: Build Bulletproof Web Apps with Less Code
by Dmitri Sotnikov

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it so far!, 31 Dec. 2014
TL;DR: Very practical approach on learning to build Web Apps with Clojure. It should be backed up with something like Joy of Clojure, to better understand the syntax. You should also have the will to explore the language as the book won't do a lot on that matter.

Something that I appreciate when starting to learn a new language, is to immediately starting creating stuff with it. Instead of trying to understand every single piece of syntax that is thrown my way, I want to learn how to take to care of dependencies, environment, IDE: things that I will use every day. This books gets it right, by first giving you a tour on the different components you will be dealing with like Leiningen, the REPL the IDE (in this case LightTable or Eclipse). After that, it tackles the creation of a website + webapp. It balances well between the lack of syntax knowledge of the reader and explaining everything about it. So it gives you enough to keep going, but not enough for you to fully understand it. It assumes, and in my case well, that you don't know how to organize your project so it helps you with that. I think that if you are coming from RoR or Django you know how to do it, but I think the author did well on treating the reader as a person that is starting from scratch. It also does a good job telling you about what different libraries are out there, so depending on what you are doing web app or REST API, or something else, it recommends the "ideal" lib for that.

Bottom line: this works well for learning style, but it might not work for other people. This is not for the faint-hearted, as sometimes the REPL will fail (because only god knows why) and you will have to debug stuff and understand why something just broke (right now every piece of code the author has given has worked). Or you just won't understand what the hell the syntax means and you will have to detour into the Clojure Documentation (the further I had to go was into a 3rd party source code). Again, for me it's okay as you learn a lot with these "silly" mistakes and the constant exploration.

Bose SoundLink On-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Black
Bose SoundLink On-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!, 18 Nov. 2014
Normally I don't take a very long time writing reviews, but these bad boys surely deserve it. It took me around 5 seconds to connect it to my iPhone and then I suddenly decided to switch to my Mac, so another 5 seconds. Normally these kind of devices take a long time to be discoverable and to actually connect, so on that matter these were awesome. Another thing is how comfortable they are, a lot of companies focus on the design and sound (and those are very important of course), but if you are going to wear them for long periods of time you should focus on that as well. Finally the volume for me is enough, I read some reviews regarding how low the volume is, but from my side it seems perfectly ok.

Finally, I feel that I can use these on the gym, not for cardio, but for other stuff like weight lifting, which is a bonus to be honest!

Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars I guess for the price it's okay. But I ..., 6 Sept. 2014
I guess for the price it's okay. But I would buy something more for the long term next time. The suction lasted for about 6 months until it died. :/

Moleskine Large Plain Notebook
Moleskine Large Plain Notebook

It's a moleskine... :)

LIFX Original A21 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, Multicolour, Adjustable, Dimmable, No Hub Required, Pearl White - Edison Screw E27
Offered by Dealberry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sept. 2014
Really like this product, delivers what it promises

Sci-Vation Xtend Watermelon Powder 1.12Kg
Sci-Vation Xtend Watermelon Powder 1.12Kg
Offered by Nature's Remedies

3.0 out of 5 stars The taste is good tho., 6 Sept. 2014
Haven't feel anything different. The taste is good tho...

RADEX RD1503+ with Dosimeter: High accuracy Geiger Counter, Radiation Detector
RADEX RD1503+ with Dosimeter: High accuracy Geiger Counter, Radiation Detector
Offered by Quarta-Rad, Inc.

Delivers what it promises

Quest Bar Double Chocolate Chunk - Low Carb Protein Weight Loss Muscle Building (12 Bars)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so good.., 6 Sept. 2014
This is so good... I put them in the oven for about 5 minutes and pffff! You got healthy brownies. :D

Dyson Cinetic DC54 Animal Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner with 5 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee
Offered by Laptop Outlet UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 6 Sept. 2014
There is a good reason why this vacuum cleaner is so expensive: it's good and delivers. I used to have a "Vax U90-MA-R" which costs 1/4 of this one. The problem is that you can't even compare the suction power. I was amazed at how much dirt I had in a supposed cleaned floor. :| I read some reviews stating that the machine is a bit heavy, but:

1) It's not, at least for me (I am 26 years old guy)
2) It's quite flexible, so you don't really feel its height that much.

My flat is a one bedroom with around 70m2, so although this can be too much, I feel that I finally got my stuff cleaned. Having 5 years warranty also gives me some confidence in the product. ;)

Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPhone SE/5 and 5s - Yellow
Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPhone SE/5 and 5s - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 25 Feb. 2014
First of all I am lego fan, so of course I a bit biased in my opinion. Still, I have bought other lego cases, and this is by far the best. The rubber feels really nice on the hands and colours pattern just rock!

Page: 1 | 2