Profile for LuluT > Reviews

Content by LuluT

LuluT

Dark Blood (Logan McRae, Book 6)
Dark Blood (Logan McRae, Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Aberdeen Romp, 12 Sept. 2016
I did struggle a little to keep up with all the different bits to this story but perhaps I should have read it faster. Steel is really getting into her stride and is almost as canny a character as Logan. I wish he would stick up for himself more although he did stand up a couple of times when he got cross and I thought good for you, Logan. But how does a man get so beaten up so many times and survive?!

The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2 (Simon Serrailler series)
The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2 (Simon Serrailler series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Transfixed, 7 Aug. 2016
Loved this book from beginning to end. The atmosphere, the nice mix of people who have nothing to do with the crime but are happy players in a well written book, the sense that their roles will enlarge in future books, that as you read on their lives will unfold. And the crime that is the main reason for this book - unfathomable and far reaching.

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny easy to read novel, 4 May 2015
Loved this book. It was both funny as in laugh out loud funny and full of pathos. Don Tillman is obvious from the beginning. His obsession with detail, with routine, a certain rigidity, oddly makes him loveable. Rosie is a lovely character. The dialogue is witty, fast, so humorous. I really recommend.

A Lonely Pigeon
A Lonely Pigeon
by Twenn Tiffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Curiosity gets you everything, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: A Lonely Pigeon (Paperback)
This is a good fun and yet also poignant book of verse that made me smile and laugh but also made me think. Some curious stuff going on here.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not engaging overall, 5 Jan. 2015
I found this novel a bit dull. The narrator's voice was enjoyable and captivating to begin with. And I would agree that leaving our discovery of who her sister is til page 77 is probably for the best but I just couldn't ultimately get into the story. I think I would rather read about the brother's attempts to become more animal like in deference to his lost sister. Something passed me by but I'd like to have read more urgency in the tale. It just felt very stretched out though I believe the concept to be powerful.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous sumptuous read, 27 Jun. 2014
This book made me cry a little and gasp a lot. The sheer horror of what the two main protagonists go through, their victory (of sorts), a future which we know is still uncertain, and the great hope that life in Afghanistan will one day once again be one of happiness - all this makes this book a terrific read. The story feels immensely real and is of course based on facts. You feel for the characters. Passion drives the reader I think, the need to know what will happen, the certainty that it will be awful, the relief when things slowly begin to work out. Though not for everyone. Twists and turns. Above all, love and compassion, the siblings of respect, run through this novel, entwined though they are with hatred and disconnection.

Lighthousekeeping
Lighthousekeeping
by Jeanette Winterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious and lyrical, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lighthousekeeping (Paperback)
I absolutely adored this book. I couldn't put it down. I hadn't read JW since Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit yonks ago. It is like a fairy tale - it's mystical, it's lyrical, it's intriguing, it's inspiring, it's fantasy, it's emotional, it's funny, it's so imaginative and yet feels so true. It pulls at the heart strings of your mind. I loved Silver and her curiosity, her desire to know more, her dream of belonging. You want her to succeed. You root for her to find love and belonging. She's a wonderful character and JW is, at least with this book, a wonderful uplifting writer.