Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Content by Avid Reader

Avid Reader "AvidReader" (Bristol)

WordBrain
WordBrain

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 28 Nov. 2015
This review is from: WordBrain (App)
Addictive gane but will not be sucked in to buying hints!

Good Husband Material
Good Husband Material
by Trisha Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Same formula - less charm than the others, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Good Husband Material (Paperback)
I have read all Tricia Ashley's books recently and whilst I enjoyed them I have to say they've all started to meld into one - female lead character has great relationship with grandmother but not her own mother, is self-deprecating about her looks/weight, has a partner not worth having who is clearly playing the field. She works from home in a creative way and has almost missed the boat as far as pregnancy is concerned. Mix this with several eccentric local characters and a love-hate relationship with man who is the eventual romantic lead and that pretty much sums up the plot. I love the books with recipes and the characters which appear from the others but wasn't enamoured of this one.

Wideacre (The Wideacre Trilogy, Book 1)
Wideacre (The Wideacre Trilogy, Book 1)
by Philippa Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst book I have read in years, 3 May 2009
Full of cliches, predictable, and very disappointing! Certainly no desire to read a book that revolves around incest with quite ludicrous storylines that get more contrived by the page. Melodramatic claptrap!!

Year of Wonders: A Novel Of The Plague
Year of Wonders: A Novel Of The Plague
by Geraldine Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read Spoiled at the End, 18 Feb. 2007
Having visited Eyam several times I was well acquainted with the history of the episode which forms the basis of this story. To begin with I really enjoyed the style, language and narrative - altho slightly irritated with the changing of names of real people and their historical circumstances (Mompellion for Mompesson etc). I was absorbed by the story enough to want to sit down and read for as long as I could and devoured it in 3 sessions. I have to say that the last few chapters fail to live up to the promise of the rest and sit very awkwardly with what comes before. The end belongs to another book entirely and left me wondering why I had bothered to read on! So a word of warning to would be readers - avoid the epilogue and you'll feel much better about the book as a whole.

Thirteen Moons
Thirteen Moons
by Charles Frazier

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, 25 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Thirteen Moons (Hardcover)
This book made me want to go and read Cold Mountain again - why? Because Cold Mountain was so much better. I loved the beginning of this book and was totally drawn in to the story AND I really felt that this was going to be the kind of book I wouldn't put down until it was finished - but somehow or other the substance of the story dwindles as the chapters progress and for me it became a bit of a drag. As I got towards the end it just became a series of interconnected passages which covered appropriate points in the history of Will's life. At first the characters are drawn really well and so are their relationships with each other but the level of detail is not sustained. It's almost as if Frazier realises he's got a lot of ground to cover historically and so moves on at a pace, losing sight of the characters he initally creates so well. Will's on/off relationship with Claire gets completely lost amongst a myriad of other stories which have to be told and along the way and it became so frustrating that I actually stopped caring whether or not they would meet again. This is certainly not a book I would rave about to my friends.