Profile for JanieLane > Reviews

Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
by Rose Elliot

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 20 April 2012
There are a host reviews praising this book, but I thought I'd add just a few of the aspects that really make this book work for me:

-the sheer number of recipes, so I really feel like I got my money's worth and it really is the "complete vegetarian"

-cupboard items are used again and again. I often find with cookbooks that if I follow a recipe to a "T" I have to spend 20 quid on cupboard items. Not so with this book. I've made a list of less than 30 cupboard items that will get me through this entire book.

-the serving sizes are reasonable and consistent. Recipes are easily adjusted to your needs, as you don't go from a soup that serve four to a casserole that serves 12!

-"base" recipes are almost always used in the same quantity. For instance, the recipe for stock makes 2 pints, and almost every soup in the section calls for 2 pints of stock.

It's true that this a very basic cookbook, but that's why I love it. These are tried and true, go-to recipes. I've made notes all through the book of techniques and flavour additions that make the recipes my own!