Profile for Louise > Reviews

Content by Louise

Louise (West Midlands, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
California
California

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soundtrack of Summer 2016, 20 July 2016
This review is from: California (Audio CD)
I've been a Blink fan since the "Enema" era, which I guess is when they broke through with big commercial success. I've been an Alkaline Trio fan for a similar amount of time and would have to say I'm a bigger Alk3 fan than I am Blink 182, so when I heard Matt Skiba was stepping in to fill Tom's shoes I was pretty excited.
This album delivers the goods, it is full of catchy lyrics and riff's and it is definetly a Blink album. It's it the epitome of summer, and I kinda like the "Na Na na's" and "Whoa oh's" that other reviewers have mentioned their distaste for. I can imagine seeing them live and the whole crowd "Na Na Na"-ing along with them! My only gripe is that I would have liked Skiba to do more of the lead vocals rather than more of the backing for Mark Hoppus, but being an Alk3 fan I guess I would say that.
Stand out songs for me are Bored to Death, Sober and I think my absolute favourite is Left Alone.
Give the Skibafied Blink a go, what's the worst that could happen?

Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars Only half the season has been aired so of course it's only the first half of the season!, 15 May 2013
First of all, Season 5 so far is outstanding - it amazes me how Breaking Bad keeps getting better and better! Walter is certainly going over to the dark side and it makes for excellent viewing.

Second of all, to everyone that has posted 1 star reviews - do you really think the whole of season five is going to be released before it has even aired on TV in the States?

Of course not, common sense people!

If you want to wait until the whole of season 5 has been aired to buy it , do so, but you'll probably have to wait until the end of the year or early next year.

The five stars is for the actual show, not the box set because it isn't out to buy at the time of posting this review.

King of Conflict
King of Conflict

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock music my old friend . . . . it's so good to finally see you again!, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: King of Conflict (MP3 Download)
In a world dominated by the likes of Will.i.am, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber (for Christ's sake) I had started to believe rock music - PROPER rock music - was a dying art. I frequently have a flick through the music channels on TV and frankly it makes me want to cry, there just didn't seem to be anything exciting out there anymore. Even the likes of Kerrang seemed to play the same stuff all the time, All Time Low, You Me At Six, Paramore etc and while they are all okay that is pretty much the most positive thing I can say about them. They're just okay. It was depressing.

Enter the Virginmarys.

I hadn't heard of the Virginmarys until I saw them support Feeder in November last year and I was blown away. You know how it is when you go to gigs, sometimes the support bands are okay, sometimes they are bloody awful but on occasion you come across a band or an artist that knocks your socks off and the Virginmarys are such a band. They opened with Bang Bang Bang and it was one of those jaw dropping "wow, this is amazing" moments. It's been such a long time since I've been so impressed by a band - their dynamic on stage, the vocals of Ally Dickaty, the drummer totally beating the crap out of the drums, you could tell it was a pleasure for them to be playing and they were simply spectacular. I got the two EP's they were selling after they finished playing and looked forward to the release of the album.

A few months later King of Conflict is released. It is perfection.

It's the best album I've heard in such a long time and most definitely the best debut I've heard in years. Both Ally Dickaty's vocals and guitar playing are amazing with great riffs and solos, Matt Rose is a fantastic bass player and Danny Dolan is awesome on the drums - the album is 50+ minutes of excellence. My personal favourites are Portrait of Red (written about domestic abuse with the less thought about scenario of the male being the victim), Bang Bang Bang, Running for my Life and Dressed to Kill. The hidden track at the end of the album (about 12 minutes in) is also fantastic and shows the band's "softer" side but without them losing their edge and going all "ballady" (I know that's not a real word but you know what I mean).

I had the opportunity to see them play live again last week at a small venue in Birmingham and they were outstanding, they OWN the stage. I honestly can not say enough good things about this band and the album. If you ever have the opportunity to see them play live, grab it with both hands because you will not be disappointed.

This band has restored my faith in rock music!

iTré!
iTré!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a "grower", 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: iTré! (Audio CD)
I've been a Green day fan since 1994 when they broke through with Dookie, however I was torn between apprehension and excitement when I heard about the "Uno, Dos, Tre" album trilogy. Whilst the prospect of three Green Day albums being released in such quick succession was in some ways a dream come true, I was concerned there would be more emphasis on quantity than quality. I feel that some excellent songs have been delivered over the three albums, but there are more songs that aren't. Personally I would have preferred to have one outstanding album of songs than three albums that have some good tracks and some that are "meh". When I first played Tre, I admit, I wasn't bowled over - I thought it was a little soft. But after putting it away for a few weeks and coming back to it more recently, it has grown on me. The high points of Tre for me are Brutal Love, X-Kid, Walk Away and The Forgotten - these are the four songs that I find myself skipping to more frequently. I could have done without Drama Queen if I'm honest, I'm just not keen. One the whole, Tre is a good album - Dos is the weakest of the three in my opinion - but I feel like they maybe bit off a little more than they could chew with releasing the three albums so close together and I think it shows.

iDos!
iDos!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better after a few listens, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: iDos! (Audio CD)
I've been a Green Day fan since I was 12 (ish) years old when they broke through with Dookie but I had mixed feelings about them releasing a trilogy of albums. My biggest concern was that there would be more quantity than quality and while the three albums deliver some excellent songs, there are too many that don't really get me excited. Personally I would have preferred they take the best songs from Uno, Dos and Tre and create one outstanding album instead of three albums that are okay. I personally prefer Uno and Tre - Uno has more of a punk rock feel and Tre is more mellow. For me the high points of Dos are Lazy Bones and Amy, both of which are pretty great. Low point of Dos (and ALL Green Day albums) for me is Nightlife - I can understand the band experimenting etc but this song is not for me and I just don't like it. On the whole Dos disappointed me, I expected more.

Demos
Demos

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Alkaline Trio fans, 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Demos (Audio CD)
I'm a big Alkaline Trio fan and think that Matt Skiba is somewhat of a genius when it comes to a lot of the songs he's written, so I was very excited when I heard he was releasing a solo/ demo project. On first hearing I was on the fence, but it has most definitely grown on me a lot and I do really love it now. The downside for me personally is that I feel it's a little overproduced - I would have preferred it if it were more accoustic, just him and and a guitar kind of thing. His voice almost sounds a little computerised in some songs - I prefer the production on Heavens, Patent Pending. The songs on Demo's that really stand out for me are "You Didn't Feel A Thing", which is beautifully haunting and "SOS" which I think has Alkaline Trio written all over it.
A must for Alkaline Trio fans and if you enjoyed Heaven's I'm pretty sure you'll love this.

American Idiot - Original Broadway Cast Recording [2CD]
American Idiot - Original Broadway Cast Recording [2CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb take on some Green Day greats!, 10 Feb. 2012
I love these CD's! I was fortunate enough to go see the show on Broadway in September 2011 (which was amazing!) and the cast recording takes me right back there. The production is excellent and admittedly, it's a little strange hearing some of the songs sang by girls at first but I think they do a superb job, especially on "21 Guns" and "Letterbomb". I think that most Green Day fans would enjoy the cast recordings and although they are different to the Green Day versions, they are performed very well.

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

1.0 out of 5 stars I'M CAITLIN MORAN AND I LIKE TO SHOUT!!!, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
My husband bought me this book for Christmas after I had seen it our local Waterstones and thought it sounded quite funny. I hadn't heard of Ms Moran before so I went into reading the book with no idea of her writing style. I agree with Al's review dated the 30th July that the book started off pretty well and was quite amusing. But for me personally, after about page 100 she started to slightly annoy me and by the end she had well and truly done my head in. It was a struggle to make it to the end.

First of all I want to say that having looked at other reviews of this book, I am in 100% agreement that her flippant reference to the child covered in napalm and comparing the sight to how a 9 year old boy would react if you showed him your bra. Simply no -or as Caitlin would write SIMPLY NO!!!! How anyone can joke about such a thing is beyond me.

One of the many, many (it feels like there are millions when you're reading them) sweeping generalisations that frustrated me was her comments about brides to be believing their wedding day to be the most important or most wonderful day of their lives. I would imagine that most women want their wedding day to be one of the most special day of their lives, or at least a day that they can look back on and treasure. One of Ms Moran's comments on weddings and brides to be was "when I hear women talking about how their wedding day is going to be/ was the best day of their life, I can't help but think, you just haven't taken enough MDMA in a field, love". Okay Caitlin, I'll go and take drugs in a field then shall I, and then I'll have all the "worldly knowledge" you obviously have.

The typing in capital letters at various points throughout the book screams "LISTEN TO ME, I KNOW EVERYTHING" and is very annoying. I found the way the book was written to be patronising and very much like her opinion is right and if you don't agree with her you're an idiot. Not in any way thought provoking and I have taken absolutely nothing away from this book. Silver lining - at least I have something to burn if the central heating breaks down.

How to be a woman? How to be arrogant and smug is more like it.

Summer Sisters
Summer Sisters
by Judy Blume

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Sisters . . . . . Simply Wonderful, 30 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Summer Sisters (Paperback)
I love Summer Sisters by Judy Blume, it is simply one of my favourite books and I have read it probably once a year for the last ten years. Judy Blume just gets it. The journey of self discovery that Vix is taken on after meeting Caitlyn and becoming her best friend and "summer sister" is one that I think many girls can identify with. Personally I had a friend who I adored all through my teens, who I thought I would be friends with forever, but discovered after "growing up" that it wasn't meant to be.

The book is extremely well written, I enjoy the story being told from the different perpectives of the characters. I still love the book as much today as I did when I first read it when I was 19 (I'm 29 now!) I'm dying to read it again now but am determined to wait until my vacation this year to read it on the plane.

The Secret Circle: The Initiation: The Initiation and The Captive Part 1
The Secret Circle: The Initiation: The Initiation and The Captive Part 1
by L. J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, even more than 10 years after my first read!!, 13 Jun. 2010
I bought these books many moons ago when I was a teenager myself (I'm 29 now!) and loved them, I thought they were wonderful. I loved the characters and how there was a real good/ evil split in the group of friends. I discovered my old books back in March after they had been boxed up when I moved out of my parents house and I read the trilogy again in less than a week - I can honestly say I enjoyed them as much as I ever did. They are great for young teens right through to people who are still teens at heart. There's just something about Smith's writing style that enables you to relate to the characters really well. I also loved the Vampire Diaries, Forbidden Game and Dark Visions series but the Secret Circle books have always been my favourite. Awesome books!

Page: 1 | 2