Profile for Rational Plan > Reviews

Robopocalypse (Robo 1)
Robopocalypse (Robo 1)
by Daniel H. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars This is no World War Z, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Obviously the structure for this book was 'homaged' from World War Z, from the short tales telling you about the war to the potted chronological history of the conflict. But is has non of it's depth of character or skill.

Putting that aside, this just seemed to be a rehash of a 'Terminator: Rise of the machines' book I read years ago. From the tales of growing infiltration by Skynet, oops sorry Archos/Rob whatever, we then progress to the humans being trapped and killed by automated cars and robots before moving onto the battle. As I went through it, I kept thinking I had read it all before, Whether it was stories of people trapped in their automated cars or killer gardening robots, but no that was the Terminator book, the only thing missing was the launch of nuclear missiles to finish us all off.

I suppose it might be difficult for a machine revolt to be shown differently, but he did not try. I don't care how ubiquitous these robots are supposed to be but that Billions were killed in hours seems a stretch, also no one noticed all these robots infiltrated programming, etc.
I have many nitpicks I could go into but in the end this book left me with a strong sense of deja vu and a pretty boring and bland one at that.