Profile for Mr. C. P. Johnson > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. P. Johnson

Mr. C. P. Johnson

Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

2.0 out of 5 stars Football Manager 2013, 9 Jan. 2013
I have played Football Manager and it's forerunner Championship Manager since 1997 and I can comprehensively state that this is the worst game in the series thus far, so much so that I have felt compelled to compose a review which I very rarely do.

The layout, design and content of the game are at the usual high standard, but for me, the game falls apart come match day. The various tactics I employ are quite simply ignored by the players. I have utilised both short and direct passing, employed slow and quick tempos and directed play through either the middle or down the wings, yet, my team NEVER seems to play the way I desire.

Furthermore, the game play just isn't realistic. I have torn teams to shreds, only for my attacking players to miss 10/15/20 chances on goal. Every game, my defenders or goalkeeper seem to make a mistake which leads to the opposition scoring and undoing all your effort in one fell swoop.

As an FM fanatic, I have persevered and started maybe half a dozen career modes, only to get approximately 10-12 games into the new save before I literally tear my hair out and quit in disgust.

I read a lot of the reviews on here before purchasing the game and the problems I have encountered within the game have also been prevalent with fellow fans. It does make me wonder if the problems I have encountered with the match engine are indeed a glitch as they are far too common to be coincidence.

Overall, I am incredibly disappointed as I look forward every year to the release of the new FM and although I will do so again, this years instalment has certainly taken the gloss off a very polished gaming series.

The Lost Army
The Lost Army
by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

3.0 out of 5 stars ChrisJ, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Lost Army (Hardcover)
I am an avid reader of ancient history and a fan of Valerio Massimo Manfredi hence the purchase of The Lost Army. The story begins at an even pace, describing the procurement of a Greek mercenary army (by forces unknown) and their advance deep into enemy territory with the hope of removing Artaxerxes from the throne of the great Persian Empire.

Without giving too much of the story line away, the defeat of the Ten Thousand (and their Persian allies) at Cunaxa leads to an agonisisng and painful withdrawal out of hostile territory that consumes two thirds of the book. As a result, the pace of the story is quite slow and the constant enemy attacks on the column is quite repetitive.

To break this monotony, Manfredi has intertwined a love story involving Xeno and a young Syrian girl by the name of Abira. This manages in parts to provide some light relief from the depressing mood of the book. As the Ten Thousand inch ever closer to safety and head out of modern day Armenia to the shores of the Euxine (Black) Sea, it is here that the book becomes dis-jointed.

After the tedium of never ending withdrawal under attack, in a little over 100 pages the conspiracy surrounding the expedition has been solved, the column has reached relative safety on the Black Sea and is now fast approaching the end. It is here that confusion reigns regarding both Xeno and Manfredi. Where do the survivors go and how does the author finish the story?

I must say at this point I didnt really care, I just wanted to finish the book. After such trials and tribulations for the Ten Thousand, i was expecting a much grander conclusion. After the battle at Cunaxa, the storyline was focused entirely on the Ten Thousand returning home, and when the end finally came it was an anti-climax.

However, portraying the expedition through the eyes of Abira, who thus provides an insight into not only the toil of the fighting men but also the women of the baggage train is not without merit. By doing this, Manfredi provides depth to what could have been a very linear storyline.

On the whole, Manfredi deserves credit for attempting to re-create such a renowned historical event when so little factual information can be gathered. However the uneven pace and lack of structure results in a book that will not last long in the memory of it's readers.