Profile for "gil_home" > Reviews

The Nanny Diaries : A Novel
The Nanny Diaries : A Novel
by Emma McLaughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars More than you bargain for!, 6 Sept. 2002
I started this book expecting a hilarious account of a job being a nanny to wealthy New Yorkers. Instead, what you get is a look at an unbelievable world where you begin to wonder on what planet do these people live on? You end up with taking a good hard look at the antics of very cruel, very wealthy, very selfish and very inconsiderate people while feeling terribly sorry for the poor children who have the misfortune to be born into these families. There is nothing funny about this book.
On the other hand, the heroine, Nan, is a little too good to be true in that she never fights back no matter what is said or done to her (including, apparently, being cheated out of her legitimate paycheck) meekly falling in with even the most outrageous suggestions. It seems, though, that she/they got their own back with the book's success. In Park Avenue, they must be desperately trying to figure out who the X's are meant to be!

Barbara Currie's 7 Secrets Of Yoga [VHS]
Barbara Currie's 7 Secrets Of Yoga [VHS]
VHS
Offered by stephensmith_426

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to do it again, 23 April 2002
Which for me, is very good. This is the first excercise regime I`ve tried that actually has me looking forward to repeating it. No stress, no strain and the benefits for an aching back and soulders are tremendous. I have now been doing the 10 minute Beginners Section every day and have been trying to slot in one of the other segments sometime during the day. I find my posture improved and a very great difference in the flexibility of my neck, shoulders and back area. Highly recommended.

Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
by Annie Hawes

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 13 Mar. 2002
This has got to be one the funniest books I have read in the last ten years! Being a Southern European myself (although from Portugal) but having had an Anglo-Saxon upbringing (I grew up in the States)I can fully appreciate the peasant reaction to the English sisters and their very "British" customs. Talk about mad dogs and Englishmen! I found myself reading this book in public places and erupting into gales of laughter. I have subsequently passed it on to several members of my family. My Mother is having a whale of a time reading it. Please Annie Hawes, can we have more? This book is a gem, I highly recommend it!!