Profile for AW Bradbury > Reviews

Content by AW Bradbury

AW Bradbury "Wayne Bradbury" (Bristol UK)

Watch My Back
Watch My Back
by Geoff Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Normal Everyday Inspirational Book, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Watch My Back (Paperback)
This book is the true story of the trials and tribulations of Geoff, a night club bouncer. At first he was afraid of his own shadow, but then grew to love the violence, along with the camaraderie, that he immersed himself in.

The story is told with feeling and humour (imagine a Jasper Carrot and Billy Connolly collaboration) about violence, revenge and sheer lunacy that will have you rolling with laughter, cringing at the pain and crying at the sadness. Over time Geoff realises it is time to change before he becomes a casualty of his own making.

Spending time writing and training harder as a martial artist he eventually works his way out of the emotional and physical turmoil going on to be a successful martial artist and author, eventually receiving a BAFTA award.

The book is lot deeper than it first appears with tales and thoughts that are written from the soul. I originally bought the 3 books that formed this omnibus addition. Then at one of Geoff Thompson's seminars I asked him if his new book was worth buying given that I had all three of his earlier books. To which his reply was, with a wry smile, "of course". Book signed and bought, it sat on my shelf for many years until one day I needed some inspiration and humorous reading in one.

It was worth buying, because what GT had done was fill in the gaps between the original books and added, quite significantly, a top and tail to the book. This top and tail now gave me a greater understanding of GT's journey and why he started it. The end of the book shows great humanity and strength. I won't give you the details as if you have not read this version it will spoil your reading. And yes once again I was inspired by his writing.

This review is about the hardback and maybe the latest paperback has more still, I am not going buy the paperback - that is of course if GT does not sell me a copy at his seminar I am attending later this year...

UNDERSTANDING QUANTUM THINKING
UNDERSTANDING QUANTUM THINKING
by Mark Dawes

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Understandable, 4 Feb. 2012
Mark has captured, in this well researched and practical book, the essence of quantum thinking, NLP or any other name you may wish to call this subject area. In short it is a handbook for getting more out of life, helping you to live your life in a more positive and harmonious way. It will also help you face the trials and tribulations as you weave your along life's fickle path.

Mark explains about the limiting factors in life (we all have some somewhere) and how to find out what they are and how to remove them. Using simple and practical mental exercises along with the relevant information that explains why it works.

I have read many books on this subject area as a martial arts instructor to help my student s and also as a professional trainer of management skills, but I have not found a book that captures the principles with such clarity.

If you are going to buy any book in this genre I would go for this one first.

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
by Gavin de Becker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, 29 Sept. 2009
I have had this book for many years and as a martial arts teacher (Kamon Wing Chun Kung Fu) I refer to it on a regular basis. It contains information that helps you to understand violence and other human traits. It is probably one of the most informative books I have come across and is useful to the non martial artist as well. It will help you tap into the primitive self protection system that exsists within our brains that has long been disregarded by society. If there is only one book that you are going to buy to understand the darker side of human nature this is the one.