Profile for Numinous Ugo > Reviews

Sayin' Somethin'
Sayin' Somethin'
Offered by cdbear1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album Amazon Mess Up on Wrong MP3, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sayin' Somethin' (Audio CD)
This is a great album that has Nat Adderley on top form, Amazon have messed up , again on the MP3 link though. Like so many albums that are sonld on 2 for 1 CDs Sayin' Somethin' was also released as Sayin' Somethin'/Live at Memory Lane. It is annoying enough, although more understandable, that the MP3 link on that page goes to the Live at Memory Lane album MP3 (only half of the CDs contents) but this has been repeated on this album too: the wrong album. Amazon make these lazy mistakes because they they don't care and customers kind of used to being treated with contempt. You can get an MP3 download of this album Sayin' Somethin'

Brazilliance Vol. 2
Brazilliance Vol. 2
Offered by shakedownrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Bazilliance!, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Brazilliance Vol. 2 (Audio CD)
The CD/MP3 download album contains the second Laurindo Almeida and Bud Shank released in 1953, Brazilliance Vol. 2 released here with their entire 1962 follow up album Brazilliance Vol. 3. Perhaps I was just ignorant but I had always had the misconception that the whole samba/bossa nova influence in American jazz started with Jazz Samba but here is Bud Shank playing with Laurindo Almeida 9 years earlier than that album. check out the first album also Brazilliance, Vol. 1 which is also available on an album twinned with Vol. 2. The fusion of Brazilian rhythms and jazz improvisation here is fantastic; where the Getz albums , though still containing moments of excellence, now sound a bit cheesy, these albums just sound great.

If you are into Latin Jazz and have not yet listened to these albums then it is time to start.

Complete Recordings 1953-1954
Complete Recordings 1953-1954

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Fantastic!, 6 Jan. 2014
I was really pleased but slightly disappointed when I saw this. I have Six Classic Albums [Audio CD] Kenny Drew which features as one of the 6 The Ideation of Kenny Drew. This was a fine 10" LP but was later combined contemporary EP releases to form His Progressive Piano (also released as The Modernity of Kenny Drew. I thought I would like to complete that album on my iTunes, perhaps I could buy the missing track? This "Complete" Recordings 1953-53 seemed to offer the answer I was looking for.

The disappointment came when I found that a track was missing. I Can Make You Love Me is not on this CD nor the other MP3 album on Amazon Essential Masters

It is not as if this is a track from a different source. JAZZDICO.org list the 1953 New York session for the Kenny Drew Trio as:

1. 1269-3 Bluesville Norgran MGN 1002
2. 1270-1 Angie -
3. 1271-3 I'll Remember April -
4. 1272-1 I Can Make You Love Me -
5. 1273-1 My Beautiful Lady -
6. 1274-1 Many Miles Away -

I wonder why this track has been left off a "Complete" collection. Unfortunately the Progressive Piano album is only available here for £30 plus and unlike Amazon.com it is not available as a MP3 album on Amazon.co.uk

Complete Live at the Manne-Hole
Complete Live at the Manne-Hole

5.0 out of 5 stars At Home, 3 Jan. 2014
This is Shelly Manne & His men ( Shelly Manne, Chuck Berghofer, Russ Freeman, Conte Candoli and Richie Kamuca) performing at his own club in 1961 and this works very well for this band. I just got this album very recently, I had the Complete Live at the Black Hawk (although as separate albums) and was not sure if this was a necessary addition to my collection, however, my brother played the André Previn and His Pals Play West Side Story album (available on: Four Classic Albums (West Side Story / Collaboration / King Size / Pal Joey) ) when i was over at Christmas and I have been listening almost exclusively to Andre Previn and Shelly Manne since. This is a post-Previn Shelly Manne band with the brilliant Russ Freeman on piano.

In the liner notes to the 1984 album The Shelly Manne Trio in Zurich both Previn and Freeman write warmly about Shelly Manne's qualities as a man, a true friend and as a musician. I would happily recommend this album to listeners without much experience of jazz as well as fans. This is certainly not just another set of live recordings that were chucked out to cash in , this is a really nice album.

If you like this album then you will also like Boss Sounds!

Some Other Spring
Some Other Spring

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Combination, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Some Other Spring (Audio CD)
Vocalists are the area of jazz that I approach with the most caution. The voice is the instrument that most easily strays into sickly sweetness or annoying vocal acrobatics in jazz, more than any genre of music, besides, perhaps, R&B. I noticed this album when checking out Dexter Gordon's discography, looking for albums I had not heard or did not own (these pretty much amount to the same thing in my collection)

I hesitated a bit for the reasons stated above and because this album was pretty expensive on CD but then I realised I could get a bargain MP3 version from Amazon and I am so pleased that I took the plunge.

Karin Krog is a brilliant singer, who judges her interpretation of songs to perfection. there is nothing dated or forced about any of the songs here. Dexter Gordon's playing is wonderful also; a perfect pairing. If you are considering this album but are unsure then my advice is to stop worrying and buy it, I promise that you will not regret it.

SOUL ESPANOL
SOUL ESPANOL

5.0 out of 5 stars MP3 Version!, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: SOUL ESPANOL (Audio CD)
Okay so here this album on CD has been a rarity and (very) expensive import, however, the MP3 version is well worth getting. When you see titles like Mas Que Nada and Call Me you might be thinking that it will all be a bit Austen Powers/Burt Bacharach but whilst I am not saying that that is not necessarily a bad thing Oscar Peterson his jazz magic all over these numbers with his gift for making the music swing.

1966 is a very quiet year in the Oscar Peterson discography, this is the only release that your, the following year he only has a release on the back of The Greatest Jazz Concert In The World whereas in 1968 he has 8 release with his career highpoint being 1959 of 15 albums 13 as leader plus Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio and Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson. The amazing thing is that his quality of playing never dips.

If you are an Oscar Peterson fan then you will love this, if you are not and even if you are not that much into jazz you should give this album a go.

Family Plot [DVD]
Family Plot [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karen Black
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Family Plot [DVD] (DVD)
Hitchcock innovates right up to his last film. I love the way that two character come into contact and instead of continuing to follow the one we were with we switch to the other, a great touch. Hitchcock was one of the greats of cinema and this is ample proof that he was on his game right up to the end.

Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Let No Man Steal Your Thyme

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware The Rip-off Merchants, 6 Oct. 2013
This is a fantastic package containing all of Sheilagh McDonald's 70s output (both Almun and Stargazer plus additional tracks). She is utterly wonderful, however, do not be caught out by the profiteers who are trying to get you to shell out around £40 for this album. Don't get me wrong if a significant part of that was going to the artist herself then it would be well worth it, but it is just someone trying to profit from the "rarity" value. You can get it for a bargain £4.99 as an Amazon MP3 down load at: Let No Man Steal Your Thyme There is no excuse for not having this in your collection at that price!

Look out for Sheilagh's new album coming soon. I will also be checking her out if she plays in her home town.

Album
Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Album (Audio CD)
Sheilagh McDonald is a living cautionary tale against LTD. with 2 brilliant albums under her belt and all the promise of becoming a dominant force in the Scottish or indeed British traditional music scene she had 2 drug expriences that effectively fried her brain and caused her to go into exile. She has recently been edging her way back. On evidence of this album and the follow up Stargazer I wish her every luck in regaining her place in the music scene because this album is just sublime.

Afro Blue Impressions-Exp
Afro Blue Impressions-Exp
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brilliant Mr. Coltrane, 3 Oct. 2013
What a wonderful album this is. As the reviewer in Mojo magazine pointed out it was not until 10 years after John Coltrane's death that this album was first published as a double vinyl LP. Normally that would mean that some barrel scraping had been the basis of the release, but not when it comes to John Coltrane.

This album contains brilliant live versions of a bunch of numbers that demonstrate just how tight and brilliant this band was. One of the Amazon.com reviewers says that Coltrane "...keeps the honking and squealing to a minimum..." I know what he is getting at and I do love this album but I would take issue with him that the honking and squealing is necessarily a bad thing, Ascension is, after all, nothing but honking and squealing but I still love that album; I listen to that album for different reasons than this one but they both have great strength in different ways.
I have not heard this new version of the album but I have the previous CD version (I'm listening to My Favourite Things right now) and I have heard the bonus tracks from the European Tours: Live Trane. The quality here should be no surprise to Coltrane fans, there are so many live recordings of this period that simply sizzle withc creative energy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20