Profile for Dr. John Mcgurk > Reviews

Content by Dr. John Mcgurk

Dr. John Mcgurk "Johnonline" (London)

Where Were All The Coaches When The Banks Went Down? : Advanced Skills for High Performance Coaching
by John Blakey

5.0 out of 5 stars Nailing the FACTS about Executive Coaching, 15 Feb. 2010
The global financial crisis was precipitated by the overreaching risk behaviour of people in the financial sector. Many of them especially at the most senior level had coaches and this book by tope executive coaches John Blakey and Ian day asks precisely what they were doing. They also use the question to probe wider into executive coaching and they produce a neat solution. As the Coaching Adviser for the UK and Europe's largest Network of HR professionals (CIPD), I am interested in how these coaches behaved and to learn the lessons for the future. But I am also interested in how people in business generally behave and how they are supported and challenged in what they do.

In this short but estimable book Blakey and Day ask the questions with penetrating insights In essence they suggest that coaches were complicit in the bad behaviour of bankers because they were either indulgent, ignorant, insipid or all three. For them it's time coaching got out of its precious non directive comfort zone and started to challenge as well as support individuals. Poor coaching allowed people to persist with behaviours which were unsustainable and destructive.

In essence they suggest after the psychologist Cliff Bowman that coaches are unwilling to get into the zone of discomfort with their clients and that too many coaching conversations are firmly stuck in supportive mode. There is nothing wrong with coaches being supportive but effective coaching needs to confront and challenge people as well. They advocate a robust FACTS based approach to get coaching back on its productive twin tracks of support and challenge.

Some will be uncomfortable with this approach if this timely, short and intensely readable book. Many though will see it as an overdue corrective to the mindset of "person centric" coaching which with the best of intentions sometimes encouraged the worst of behaviours.

Radio Retaliation
Radio Retaliation

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing in on my musical tastes like a member of the Shining Path.., 28 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
OK I think the Shining path where a bunch of murderous Maoist psychos, and I am not into infantile leftism but this album stirs in me in these times of unrepentant bankers and unrelenting world poverty a real feeling of affinity. Anger is good. It's necessary too many performer operate in world where they think complaining about their download deals amounts to rebellion or they think stadium posturing is politics. I am sure I could disagree a lot with the TC but this is a stupendous blast of Angry Reggae cum whatever. Anger with sumptuous lounge dub is even better. Love this album and sorry whoever complained about the packaging. Talk about not getting the fricking point? Go and buy a boxed set of fifty cent albums complete with fake diamante pendant if the artifice of the album cover is what you want. I don't listen to a lot of dub world music and this has blown me away. My Bro in Law John Reid bought it for me and I have hardly listened shame on me. Now I have I can't stop, Mandala with it swooning sitars and fantastic bass. Hare Krishna which without being fake bangra does it brilliantly. This album is just brilliant. Pueblo Unido is just brill. i am playing this music at my next barbecue. Radio retaliation and forgotten people, with its spagehetti western influences will let people know they are not listening to something out of the ordinary. As for the packaging. I think its well in line with the sensibilities of anyone with a brain cell. John