Profile for D. Whitehead > Reviews

Content by D. Whitehead

D. Whitehead "Stagsman" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Evil Games: A gripping, heart-stopping thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Ordinary, 27 Jun. 2015
You know what I like about Angela Marson's books? They're written for ordinary people in a down to earth writing style and I don't need to keep referring to my Kindle dictionary for definitions of "clever" words. After loving Silent Scream I was looking forward to the follow up - Evil Games. My love affair continues. DI Kim Stone was, at first, a really cold fish. But the more I learn about her, and her awful childhood experiences, the more I am getting to warm to her. And the characterisation of her police colleagues, especially the wonderfully supportive Bryant, is exceptional. In Evil Games the "baddy", Alex Thorne, is a ruthless and manipulative psychiatrist and the mind games between Alex and Kim are very skilfully written as the story develops. The themes of child abuse, revenge murder and violent attacks made me gasp at times but Angela has obviously done her research about the subject matter - especially into sociopathic tendencies - which makes the plot and sub plots so very convincing and believable. I can't wait for the next instalment and hope Angela is working on it now.

The Diamond Ring Collection: 9ct White Gold Heart Shaped Amethyst with Diamond Set Shoulders Engagement Ring (Size O)
Offered by The Diamond & Wedding Ring Bargain Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 28 April 2015
Beautiful ring. I bought wrong size. Amazon exchanged it and advised re return etc. Fabulous ring, fabulous customer service and fabulous wife loves it!

Insularfield
Insularfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on England, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Insularfield (Kindle Edition)
My Kindle has allowed me to sample a good number ofnew authors for the bargain price of 99p. I've liked quite a few and there's been the odd one or two who just didn't do it for me. Insularfield grabbed me from the beginning. It's a gritty tale set in a North Midlands town and what appealed to me most was that I was reading a book from an author with a real talent for storytelling. The characters are skilfully crafted and I was so taken by the book that I read it over 2 days. It isn't a book for the squeamish and it made me gasp in parts. It's as dark as a pint of Irish stout and I felt I was living the story I was reading. And Insularfield has a real twist in the tale ending. Top marks to Mark England. I can't wait for the Kindle editions of his other books.

Cameron's Coup: How the Tories took Britain to the Brink
Cameron's Coup: How the Tories took Britain to the Brink
by Polly Toynbee

5.0 out of 5 stars You Spin Me Right, 2 Mar. 2015
Some hard hitting facts and stats in this book - most of which you won't have seen in the British press. It demonstrates how a well organised PR machine can make people believe, through skilful and targeted spin and newspaper friends, in an Emperor's New Clothes job. Very thought provoking.

The World According to Bob: The further adventures of one man and his street-wise cat
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob On, 2 Mar. 2015
James Bowen's world changed remarkably when Bob came into his life. And vice versa. These further tales once again wrapped me in a warm blanket of joy. Buy this book and vote for the JimBob party.

Bling Jewelry Animal Horse Head Pendant Sterling Silver Equestrian Necklace 16in
Offered by Bling Jewelry

5.0 out of 5 stars Bling it on.., 13 Feb. 2015
Bought this for my wife. A delicate and beautifully crafted necklace and my wife is delighted with it.

Sailing Close to the Wind: Reminiscences
Sailing Close to the Wind: Reminiscences
by Dennis Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanfare for the Commons man, 17 Jan. 2015
I found Dennis's book very refreshing and honest. And honesty is not a word you can attribute to many politicians these days. I learned a lot about Dennis from his love of singing to the pleasure he gets from sitting in parks and admiring the beauty of nature. We have differing views on certain aspects including the British Royal Family but this does not diminish my admiration for the man and his principles. Dennis tells it as it is in a book his family urged him to write. At the end he hopes "it turns out alright". It's much better than alright. And I hope he has more to tell.

Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Little gripe, 20 Oct. 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the historical mix of fact and fiction. Loved the characters and their inter relationships. I find Ken Follett's books so easy to read and became totally absorbed. Sorry that this was the last of The Century Trilogy. Just one little gripe. on page 921 of the hardback there is a sentence which reads "Most man who followed them in here would be conspicagents were men, and any uous." Not sure what it means but shame on the proof reader.

Le Toy Van TV442 Construction Set
Le Toy Van TV442 Construction Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson loves it, 1 Oct. 2014
My 2 year grandson loves this set. And that says it all.

The Bluffer's Guide to Opera: Bluff Your Way in Opera (The Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Opera: Bluff Your Way in Opera (The Bluffer's Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenorific, 11 Aug. 2014
Loved this whiz around the world of opera. Informative, educational and very amusing. Great buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5