Profile for Kryptos > Reviews

Content by Kryptos

Kryptos (Johannesburg, South Africa)

The Grudge 2 (Ju-On)  [DVD]
The Grudge 2 (Ju-On) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noriko Sakai
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Second Grudge film disappoints., 6 July 2005
This review is from: The Grudge 2 (Ju-On) [DVD] (DVD)
After eagerly awaiting the viewing of this film, since the lack of sleep the first one caused, I finally popped it into the old DVD player and readied myself for more nail-biting moments. Well all I can say is that I was disappointed.
Personally I never found Ju-On: The Grudge to be confusing and it had an edge of anticipation that was lacking from the sequel. Perhaps it is the fact that you are expecting the white faced ghosts to jump out around every corner and then they do. The film seems to show too much.
The film also had a more b-grade feel to it, in my opinion. Where in Ju On: The Grudge I constantly got the pins and needles feeling when something happened, here I felt far too safe. Also gone is the sense of the house as the centre of the danger (as this is very underplayed), the claustrophobic feel that was so prevalent in Ju On: The Grudge. Here the danger seems more general and more disconnected.
Where it is still far superior to disasters like Ju Rei, I would rather recommend something like Dark Water or The Eye. And let us not forget Ring and Ring 2, where the sequel was far better than what we have here.
It is a pity, as I think Ju On 2 could have been much better. If you are new to J-Horror there are far better options to add to the collection.