Profile for Martin J Haresign > Reviews

Content by Martin J Haresign

Martin J Haresign

TeckNet PURE 2.4G Wireless Mouse, 6 Buttons, 18 Month Battery Life, 3 Adjustable DPI Levels: 1600/1200/800dPi, Nano Receiver
Offered by Innovation Goal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value., 23 Mar. 2016
Fabulous value - under £6 when I bought it!
Does exactly what's needed, and very responsive.
Would happily recommend.

Minions
Minions

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Minions (Amazon Video)
Hilarious. Watched it with my 11 year old son, we loved it.

Rolson Tools 62852 2-in-1 Tradesman Knife
Rolson Tools 62852 2-in-1 Tradesman Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars I cracked the safety mechanism!, 27 May 2015
I'm going to echo what the bulk of people have already said really. It's an impressive piece of kit. Beautifully engineered and definitely built to last.
Feels really solid in your hand. The only negative I'd mention is that there were no instructions about the blades safety mechanism. How to change the craft blade was covered, but no mention about the main blade.
I worked it out and I'm going to share the secret with the world!
Pretty straightforward really - once you know.

In line with the blades, inside the handle, are 2 strips of metal. These lock the blades in the open position. To release the blades to close them, push the appropriate strip to the side then push the blade closed.
Simples really, I may even be the only person who struggled. Ah well, I feel better for sharing.
All in all a great piece of kit.

Battle of the Damned
Battle of the Damned

1.0 out of 5 stars But not in a good way. Please, 28 July 2014
Why? What ever possessed me? I just knew it was going to be dire, yet still I rented it.
Absolutely awful, lacking in any redeeming qualities.
IT'S DOLPH LUNDGREN!
Why did I even think, if only fleetingly, that it could be watchable?
It wasn't.
Plot - laughable.
Acting - see above.
Effects - you guessed. Although, to be fair the effects weren't totally hilarious until the 'robots' entered the scene. Oh dear. Then I began laughing, and didn't stop until the end credits. But not in a good way.
Please, save yourselves, it's too late for me.........

Homecraft Savanah Slatted Bath Board - 27 inch/69 cm
Homecraft Savanah Slatted Bath Board - 27 inch/69 cm
Offered by Mobility Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
Excellent product, sturdy and feels safe.

Frozen
Frozen

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Frozen (Amazon Video)
This is a funny hilarious film it has the biggest plot twist disney has ever given us. By Mason & Connor aged 7 & 9.

A Tale of Friends, Enemies and Minecraft: Volume 1
A Tale of Friends, Enemies and Minecraft: Volume 1
by Jake Mayer

1.0 out of 5 stars Lone dissenting voice?, 2 Jan. 2014
I bought the book as a Christmas gift for my Minecraft-mad 9 yr old son largely based on the reviews.
When I started reading it as a bedtime story to him and his 7 yr old brother, I found it hard to believe how kind people had been!
Unless I'm missing something, and it's written by a child, I have to disagree with the number of stars awarded.

The writing style's appalling, stilted and really hard to read. It would be a polite understatement to say it didn't flow.
I found myself having to go back to re-read sections as I found myself tripping up repeatedly.

These are just a couple of the painful passages within the book:

"That really made Mike mad because he had to do it all over again. He was very mad that he had to do it all over again. But he did do it again and it was better than before!"

This is a prime example of the inelegant style:

"That way you don't have to make separate rooms full of red stone to power your machines. Or you don't have to make a basement for your house just for red stone. This was going to be very helpful if he was going to add red stone machines to his house. He could not wait to tell Mark how to make a mini red stone machine."

You get the idea he's happy about red stone, yeah?

Also, the punctuation is sparse almost to the point of invisibility. And for some weird reason the text is justified, i.e the left and right edges are straight, box-like. This might work on a large page, but this is the size of an average paperback, so there are large, unsightly gaps on the page, which again makes for difficult reading.

It's advertised as the author's first book, and in all honesty looks to me like vanity press.

I think it was written by either a seven year old child or a Premiership footballer.

Having said all the above, my boys enjoy having it as a bedtime story, but I wonder if they'd be anywhere near as interested if the subject matter was different......
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 11:22 PM GMT