Profile for Mr. J. A. Taylor > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. A. Taylor

Mr. J. A. Taylor "Mr J A Taylor" (North West, England)

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S. J. Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars As poor as "ROOM" - Totally Non Believable, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
It amazed me how such a book can receive such publicity and great reviews. This is one of the most boringly dull books I have read in years, and believe me, I have read some stinkers. Where, pray tell is all the suspense which hundreds of reviewers rave about? Where too are the cliffhangers? Where are the hooks which want you to keep turning the pages? The first 240 pages are repeat, repeat, repeat. "I went to sleep, I forgot, Somebody told me to write a journal, I went to sleep, I forgot....I read my journal...YAWN". The book did pick up slowly, very slowly after page 240 but what a chore it was to keep turning the pages for more of the same. I don't think I have ever given up on a book, but came very close with "Before I Go To Sleep". What an utterly useless Doctor, uncaring friends and idiotic family....could this really play out the way it does? Read it and find out for yourselves how rediculous it really is.

The Beyond [DVD]
The Beyond [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Warbeck
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beyond or not?, 21 April 2004
This review is from: The Beyond [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this movie when I was young and thinking how superb itwas for the time, a day long gone when the video nasty was indeed a "videonasty". Over the years I forgot that the movie actually existed until Ipurchased it from Amazon. I re-sat through the movie and all thestorylines came flooding back. For its time it was a fine piece of cinemafor its gore and nastiness, but on a second and third viewing you canactually see how normal and average the movie actually is. There is notmuch of a story, and most of the plots do not get explained properly, youjust have to accept things for what they are, as in any Zombie flick. Nowfor the Zombies, anyone who has seen the 2004 release of Dawn of the Deadwill know how the Zombies move with lightening speed, and there is notmuch one could do to beat them en masse. But Fulci's Zombies from theBeyond would still be waiting to finish the "Hare and Tortoise" race. Itamazed me in this movie why the protagonists just didn't simply walk bythem and push them over, the zombies did look threatening with the typicalrotted zombie/newly dead zombie look, but as for their performance well itwas Zombie Comatoze. However the ending will either leave you saying"Wow, a Fulci masterpiece, as in the ending of Zombie Flesh Eaters", orthe ending will leave you saying "What the heck was that all about to endit there"...original, I think not? Endings like this are ten a penny onthe old Hammer House of Horror stories or the Twilight Zone. Altogether agood watch, but caveat emptor to the purchaser if he/she is expecting amasterpiece. One final thought as per the date of the movie, is that itwas a very good picture for its time, which for me is not anywhere in theleague of Flesh Eaters or the daddy of them all "Dawn of theDead...original"...now that is suspense....Enjoy none the less.

Haydn: The Seven Words
Haydn: The Seven Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven last words..only one needed...MAGNIFICENT!!, 30 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Haydn: The Seven Words (Audio CD)
A cyber friend in my classical world put me on to this cd in October, I showered the stored but could not find it anywhere. Praise be for Amazon!!, this is the String Quartet version of Josef Haydn's setting of the Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross, incorporating seven movements with a introduction and finale, here the Rosamunde quartet give us a truly realised version of this masterpiece. Each movement is written in adagio form and set from words to music for quartet. For me its one of Haydn's greatest works. I went as far to say as this cd was my musical discovery of the year, the best cd I have purchased from Amazon this year to date. The Rosamunders play in complete harmony with each other, each instrument violin, second violin, viola and cello working individually but also part of the whole to create such thrilling music making. I also own the orchestral version of the Seven Last Words, but believe me when I say that the personal and intimate way to listen to this work is in the quartet form, with the Rosamunders one can't go wrong, buy it from Amazon because the shops probably won't have it for sale!! 6 stars out of 5, its that Damned good. If you are about to add something new to your collection today, you could do no better. Essential listening, purchased from an Essential provider!! J A Taylor. A sheer delight!!

Tchaikovsky / Myaskovsky: Violin Concertos
Tchaikovsky / Myaskovsky: Violin Concertos

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future of the Violin is in Good Hands!!, 30 Nov. 2003
I recently purchased this version of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto to add to my many versions of the same. This cd for me was like hearing the work anew. Vadim Repin is without doubt one of the new young blood of violin virtuosi to grace the stage. In this, a live performance the Kirov Orchestra conducted by Valery Gergiev has never sounded better. The orchestra compliments Repin to perfection and the event is one of those rare classical experiences which don't seem to be captured live these days. Repin brings the concerto to life, the opening movement briskly paced, never elaborate with a technique to die for. The second movement is lovingly performed, sweet and delicate followed with a finale which starts electrically charged with Repin's improvised pizzicato at the beginning followed by a blaze of glory in the final bars where the violin and orchestra attack each other in a brutal fist fight, the brass exploding onto the scene being beaten down into a frenzy by the powerful bowing of Repin. This is one of the finest Tchaikovsky concertos ever committed to disc, Repin is a star for the future, this version surpasses his recording some 10 years earlier with Emmanuel Krivine, also part of my collection from Amazon, this too is wonderful, but for the sheer excitement of a live performance where conductor and soloist seem to have found a rare, unique balance in providing a masterpiece of a recording. If like me, you love the violin concerto then this MUST become part of your collection, this is a serious contender to rival the likes of Milstein and the unsurpassed or unequalled, until now versions by the legendary Jascha Heifetz. Another reason to add this to your collection is the delectable new romantic concerto by Myaskovsky, a loving concerto, sumptuously played. Violin playing doesn't come any better. Remember the name, you heard it first here...Vadim Repin, virtuosi extro-ordinaire!! GO GET SOME!!!

Symphonie Fantastique (LSO, Davis)
Symphonie Fantastique (LSO, Davis)

4.0 out of 5 stars Davis, A Berlioz legend, its good but not his best!!, 30 Oct. 2003
I have just recently purchased the LSO live version of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique a very well recorded version from Sir Colin. But for me this does not surpass his 70's Concertgebouw version which is his cream of the crop. For £5 we can not grumble, very good liner notes, good performance, cheap n cheerful, quite involving and quite essential from the finest Berlioz conductor of this generation, since Charles Munch. Others to consider are John Eliot Gardiner, Charles Munch & Roger Norrington to name a few which I already own. One irritation about this cd is the grunts by Davis on the famous Sabbath movement, to avoid this minor irritation, do not listen with headphones on, in the finale. The extra bonus of the Beatrice overture is a treat. As I have said, its a good one to have but there are better, Gardiner and Davis' Concertgebouw from the seventies remain the top two.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 8:27 AM GMT

I Couldn´t Have Said It Better Myself
I Couldn´t Have Said It Better Myself
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Meat Loaf Re-Worked, 13 July 2003
After purchasing this album, I felt a little let down, the songs try to stay in the same vein as the Meat Loaf / Jim Steinman vein but sadly come up short. The title track is quite acceptable in the Meat Loaf manor, but the rest is bordering on the average. I have been a Meat Loaf fan ever since the release of B.O.O.H many years ago. This album seems to lack the magic of Jim Steinman and the other "Guest" writers try poorly and mundanely to copy the great man. Much of the old excitement has tried to be revisited once more, and once more it is sadly lacking. Meat Loaf's voice seems a little bit brittle and over stretched in parts and maybe gone forever are those banshee top notes which he seemed to find in a single breath, now the notes appear to be a little on the flat side, which is a shame. Nicki Sixx seems to be trying to revive his career after the defunct days of Motley Crue, to no avail. On the whole the album is acceptable to all Meat Loaf fans, but the halcyon days of Bat out of Hell and Deadringer are long gone. You will notice that every track is trying to be a copy of "What would Jim Steinman have done". Jim Steinman would have taken the lyrics, and wrote far superior music for his old pal. Get back together again boys and show us what you still are capable of. J A T, Lancashire, England.

The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Lynyrd Skynrd, 9 Sept. 2001
What can I say!! I bought this double cd after I had just found my old vinyl 45 of Freebird/Sweet Home Alabama/Double Trouble in the attic, I decided I needed to test out some more of Skynrd as those were the only tracks which I had previously heard. If you are like myself and only know Skynrd for those few tracks then I do strongly advise you to purchase this double cd!! Its rock, its boogie, its bluesy, its smoltzy and the guitar playing is exceptional, this is music which should be listened to, (for those midnight mellow moments), the vocals by Van Zant are fabulous. This is one of my best buys this year along with the Deep Purple 2cd Made in Japan album. If you only remember Lynyrd Skynrd for Freebird, give this a try...you won't be disapointed, you will be taken into a whole new form of music, I was!!. American boogie rock at its best.