Profile for Welesmere > Reviews

Andrew James Halogen Oven Cooker With Hinged Lid, 12 Litre, White, 1400W
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor first experiences, 10 July 2016
Copy of letter to Customer Services dated 9.7.16:

Evidently you did not read my earlier e-mail properly, since in that I stated that no spare bulb was found in the packaging as received by me, nor, indeed, was there a user manual. The latter point I was able to resolve by downloading a PDF from online.

We did not use the machine (a gift to my wife which has gone horribly wrong) for about a month, since we were still using a similar type of unit from another manufacturer. On only the second use of your machine, as already pointed out, it ceased to operate. I contacted your head office to report the problem and was then told about the spare bulb. The non-receipt of it was received with some scepticism by your colleague. I was told to go and look harder for it! On going back to this person,it was reluctantly agreed that a spare bulb would be sent out. You will see from one of my pictures attached that the replacement is indeed different in appearance to the original and at first sight seems to be slightly thinner.

I can now report that I have replaced the bulb but I reiterate what I wrote earlier, namely that this operation can, albeit rarely, be hazardous for the consumer. The original coil split diagonally so that there were two sharp protruding ends of glass which were dangerous. Sure enough, despite all the care I took, I cut my thumb (this can be seen on one of the photos). Also, the fan blades are quite sharp themselves and make it decidedly uncomfortable to change the bulb.

I have very briefly tested the unit and the light does come on, but I have little faith in the product. You may be sure that it will be given very poor feedback. Nor do Customer Services, with their scepticism, come out very well in this, likewise the company as a whole. I earnestly believe that probably nine other companies out of ten would have provided a no-quibble refund.

As I am very uncertain how long the unit will operate for before the bulb goes again, I think the least Customer Services could do is to provide me with another spare.

As mentioned, this unit was a gift to my wife but the frustration and irritation at this end have proved that your product was a very unwise choice indeed.

My four photos [not provided here for the review] show, respectively, the previous coil, the coils compared, a rather poor close-up of the split coil and a slightly more distant picture of the split coil, which also shows the cut on my thumb – thanks for that, Andrew James ...

Sussex and Hampshire (Branches & Byways)
Sussex and Hampshire (Branches & Byways)
by John Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Feb. 2016
Fantastic detail and images - a superlative publication.

Sussex at War Through Time
Sussex at War Through Time
by Henry Buckton

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, with some serious mismatching of images and text, 10 Jan. 2016
I totally agree with the review by Benjamin. I consulted this volume for background in connection with a project on Brighton during the war. Disappointingly, there are serious mismatches between the images and the subject dealt with in the text. On page 71, which covers the tragic bombing of the Odeon cinema in Kemp Town, we are - amazingly - presented with two images of the King's Road. Similarly, pictures are displayed of the West Pier in supposed relation to a serious raid with many casualties which took place in Kemp Town on 25 May 1943. Buckton does not even give the date of this event. Regarding the Palace Pier (few people locally accept the name Brighton Pier coined by its managers), we are presented with an Edwardian picture of the Pier from its far end, yet pictures are available of the removal of the central portion of the pier against Hitler's threatened invasion, had the author bothered to undertake some research.
Yes indeed, as Benjamin points out, this is a very shallow and unbalanced book, with West Sussex unjustifiably predominating. Save your money …

If War Should Come: Defence Preparations on the South Coast, 1935-1939
If War Should Come: Defence Preparations on the South Coast, 1935-1939
by Philip Macdougall

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but marred by some carelessness, 31 Dec. 2015
A comprehensive review of the subject and a valuable historical work, marred by some sloppiness in relation to BRIGHTON, which is my interest. Quoting from a book on HOVE in the Great War, the author places the National Kitchen established in that town as being in Brighton (p. 37).
The Index records a reference to Brighton as appearing on p. 39 but I cannot see it. The same applies in the case of p.65.
On p. 89, the writer refers to (shelters at) schools in Brighton quoting from Brighton Museum Collections but he (or perhaps the Museum?) writes 'Standford' for 'Stanford' and 'Xavier College' for 'Xaverian College' - which I attended. Again, possibly the Museum's fault - will check.
Was very tempted to give only 3 stars for this book, as I cannot believe there are not errors in relation to other towns but I am unqualified to identify them.

Emilia La Oinguina Smarrita/Emilia the Lost Penguin: An Italian/English Dual Language Story
by Maria Rossi

2.0 out of 5 stars Haven't looked at the book itself but may I gently ..., 8 July 2015
Haven't looked at the book itself but may I gently point out that the Italian for 'penguin' is in fact 'pinguina' and not 'oinguina'? I feel this is rather important, especially for a learner's book.

Andrew James Electric Egg Boiler In Black With Poacher and Steamer Attachments 7 Egg Capacity
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jun. 2013
I keep trying to find a reliable egg boiler and have just ordered one of another make to replace this one. The bottom plate gets very dirty and cannot be dishwashed - it should ideally be removable. The eggs just don't seem to turn out as per the selected option. I hard-boiled two eggs the other evening and they came out soft. I had used two large eggs (which I prefer) and set the hard-boil level to 3 eggs to allow for the size yet I got soft eggs - useless for our prepared salad.
Try another make - although I have yet to find one that ticks all the boxes ...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 3:09 PM BST

LEC White Fridge Door Handle DT94
LEC White Fridge Door Handle DT94
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited life, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: LEC White Fridge Door Handle DT94
Poor design with built-in breakability, however careful one is with it. The part is overpriced. Am now obliged to buy my second replacement - with no choice in the matter.

Avanquest - ABBYY FotoReader - Complete package - 1 user - Win - French
Avanquest - ABBYY FotoReader - Complete package - 1 user - Win - French

5.0 out of 5 stars A breakthrough in text recognition, 1 Aug. 2011
I have used this product for a number of years and the quality and ease of use match those of other Abbyy products. The program offers recognition of an unusual kind and the facility to take snapshots of items of information in reference libraries, archive centres, etc. and read them at home at one's leisure is invaluable. There is competition out there now in the form of scanning apps for upmarket mobiles but Fotoreader holds a unique place in this niche market.
Refreshingly, help is at hand if need be from Abbyy staff over a telephone line. Customer service is second to none. The purchase of this product is strongly recommended.

Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump
Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 19 Nov. 2010
I was very disappointed with this. I bought it in order to suck up water from plant pot bases without having to lift sometimes heavy pots off of them. The suction didn't work at first many did for a few squeezes, after which it failed to work at all, even when I use it in the kitchen to transfer water from a bowl down to a basin on the floor. My refund is currently being processed by Amazon.

Brother MFC-5490CN Network Ready Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with Fax
Brother MFC-5490CN Network Ready Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with Fax

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising bit of kit but contact with company not sraightforward, 12 Sept. 2010
I have just purchased this printer and it looks and sounds great. It comes with full documentation which is easy to follow, although the only technical help number given was in Ireland and assumed you were going to ring from within that country. The number 01-2411911 should have been made available to UK users as 00 353 12411911. When I did get through, I learned there was actually a UK number - 08444 999 444!Hey ho.

Page: 1 | 2