Profile for Liz C > Reviews

Content by Liz C

Liz C

Page: 1 | 2
How to Fall: Stories (Mary Mccarthy Prize in Short Fiction)
How to Fall: Stories (Mary Mccarthy Prize in Short Fiction)
by Edith Pearlman

5.0 out of 5 stars Edith Pearlman's collection of stories "Binocular Vision" was recommended to me and because of my very positive response ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Edith Pearlman's collection of stories "Binocular Vision" was recommended to me and because of my very positive response to these pieces I bought "How to Fall" and was not disappointed. She writes so tellingly of human conditions and relationships, without ever being sensational, that it is easy to relate to her characters and feel their hopes, fears and frustrations. The stories are of sufficient length to have, each of them, a real and separate identity though some places and people reappear in different pieces. Some critics rate Edith Pearlman as the world's best short story writer: certainly, for me, she is up there with the best.

Canon EF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - Black
Canon EF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite one-off lens, 16 Dec. 2014
I bought this lens when it first came out and used it with a canon 550d. In a fit of madness - it cannot have been anything else - I sold it to a friend and replaced it with a 28-300mm lens from a different maker. This convinced me that the canon 18-200 is a world beater if you are going somewhere and can only take one lens. I have always found it superb over the whole range and although I accept that the absence of a locking device when using the extended barrel does mean one needs to exercise a little care and thought, it is a small price to pay for the versatility and overall excellence of this lens. This one I keep.

Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter
Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars A recommended filter, 16 Dec. 2014
As is to be expected from Hoya, a very competent, well-made piece of equipment.

Canon EOS 70D Body Only Camera (20.2 MP, 3.0 inch LCD) - Black
Canon EOS 70D Body Only Camera (20.2 MP, 3.0 inch LCD) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A wow factor!, 16 Dec. 2014
This camera really hits the spot between full frame and entry level DSLR and it does it with style. There are so many nuances of focussing, exposure etc. available that I think an independent guide, written by someone who has used the camera exhaustively, helps enormously to get you on your way to making full use of this magnificent piece of kit. I am enjoying it greatly and am encouraged to experiment in ways that are often rewarding. Practice makes perfect!

Snowy Cityscape - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher
Snowy Cityscape - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift!, 23 Jan. 2014
This is such an easy way to send a gift and yet it is flexible and easily personalised. I shall use this again.

Bizet: Te Deum / Gounod: St Cecilia Mass
Bizet: Te Deum / Gounod: St Cecilia Mass

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a sixth star!, 21 April 2013
Years ago I had a cassette of the Bizet that was "borrowed" by a friend (was she really?) and lost. It is not an easy piece to find but it is here, together with the Gounod, which was new to me. Te Deum is a punchy piece that combines power and sweetness to good effect and the soloists, choir and orchestra are very successful in their delivery. The St Cecilia Mass is more solemn and sombre but with an underlying beauty and softness that, again, the performers deliver with confidence. These are rounded, satisfying performances that delight on first hearing and reveal more and more each time they are heard. Music to be listened to with 100% concentration.

Chemistry of Tears
Chemistry of Tears
by Peter Carey

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the effort, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Chemistry of Tears (Paperback)
I can understand why this book has failed to achieve the public acclaim and popularity that has accompanied most of Peter Carey's fiction: it has a quiet, scholarly atmosphere -aided by the paperback cover - and reading the back cover blurb reinforces that view but, for me, the first page enticed and as I read on the stories, for this is a tale within a tale (something that can prove very irritating but here, for me, it worked well), unpeeled like onion layers and I became completely absorbed in both narratives and needed to know what would happen. It is not the easiest book and certainly not to be picked up for a few minutes of spare time but to read it properly is to be rewarded richly.

Barcelona [Special Edition]
Barcelona [Special Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Barcelona!, 18 Nov. 2012
Freddie Mercury and Queen had passed me by - or I them -though I do remember hearing the title song "Barcelona" and thinking that, rather surprisingly, the combination of Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe worked well. Recently, a television programme on Freddie Mercury used Barcelona and other footage from his work with Montserrat Caballe. I was interested and decided to buy the album. The remastering has allowed orchestration to be introduced and the voices added over this. It is a stunning result: the voices blend, complement each other and produce a full palette of sound, ranging from soft and dreamlike, through lyrical to bold triumphal noise. Such a tragedy there couldn't have been more .... .

Bring up the Bodies
Bring up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Potted history with a touch of class, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Bring up the Bodies (Audio CD)
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall was superb and this is a worthy successor. The reading by Julian Rhind Tutt is excellent and provides a good seven hours of compelling listening. My only reservation is one I have with abridged versions of all good books that there is a sense of something missing from time to time. Nonetheless, it is good and I don't doubt will be long enough for some listeners.

A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
A Good Year [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Provence ...., 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: A Good Year [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
A fairly predictable storyline, though with the odd quirk but, for me, it's the setting. Provence at it's best: an old chateau, the vines, the countryside, a couple of those marvellous old villages and the sun, always the sun. A great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon or a cold winter's evening.

Page: 1 | 2