Profile for Movie Buff > Reviews

Content by Movie Buff

Movie Buff "movie buff" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Moleskine City Notebook Beijing
Moleskine City Notebook Beijing

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 27 July 2014
I thought I'd write a counterpoint to the very damning previous eview. I bought this for a family member and today we got an email saying, "The Beijing subway has also been really cool and my guide of Beijing from Nell has been excellent, the teachers keep asking for it because it's so useful!"

A Gate at the Stairs
A Gate at the Stairs
by Lorrie Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful evocation, 15 Jun. 2010
This review is from: A Gate at the Stairs (Paperback)
I only read this because it was on the Orange Prize shortlist, and I'm so glad I did. It isn't a tightly plotted book but then it's not meant to be. Its an evocation of that period in life when one moves from being a child within a family to being an adult out in the world, and it does it perfectly. Every person in it comes to life.

I haven't read the author's short stories, although I will now, and this wasn't a sentence too long for me. Highly recommended.

Last Rituals: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 1
Last Rituals: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 1
by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Mar. 2010
I couldn't be bothered finishing this. I couldn't believe for a moment that Thora was a grown-up with kids, she seemed much more like a girl in her twenties struggling with her first job. I suppose as a fairly routine detective story, it's not bad, but a successor to Arnaldur Indridason, it ain't.

The Bolter: Idina Sackville - The woman who scandalised 1920s Society and became White Mischief's infamous seductress
by Frances Osborne

2.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, and not in a good way, 10 Feb. 2010
I had a real struggle to get to the end of this because it's written in such a breathless and girlish style. The story of Idina is interesting, up to a point, but far too much of the background has been taken from superficial works and her editor hasn't done her any favours. Roy Hattersley's The Edwardians isn't a rigorous historical text, and 'airforce' isn't a word.

There isn't any attempt to understand why Idina behaved the way she did, except in the most general way in terms of what 'everybody' was doing. I couldn't help wondering if she was bi-polar, given the speed of change in her life and the number of marriages, and the behaviour of one of her sons indicates that he might have been too, so it would have been useful to have some insight into this. She doesn't get the military stuff right; she seems to think 'adjutant' is a rank, not a job and she never says what rank Euan Wallace was at any stage in his career which would have told us something about him; she doesn't say what he got his M.C for which would also have told us something. They weren't just handed out for being in the general vicinity of action. And we don't get told much about her relationship with her mother, which would have been helpful. All in all, it's galloping transcription of the events in Idina's life, without much understanding.

The Second Sex
The Second Sex
by Simone De Beauvoir

1.0 out of 5 stars Translation heavily criticized, 8 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Second Sex (Hardcover)
I'm not in a position to review this translation myself as my French isn't good enough, but readers should be aware of the long and very poor review given to it in the London Review of Books by Toril Moi (Vol 32. Pt 3, 11 February 2010). The reviewer says, "After taking a close look at the whole book, I found three fundamental and pervasive problems: a mishandling of key terms for gender and sexuality, an inconsistent use of tenses, and the mangling of syntax, sentence structure and punctuation."

And, "The book is marred by unidiomatic or unintelligible phrases and clueless syntax; by expressions such as `the forger being', `man's work equal', `the adulteress wife', and `leisure in ch‚teau life'; and formulations such as `because since woman is certainly to a large extent man's invention', `a condition unique to France is that of the unmarried woman', `alone she does not succeed in separating herself in reality', `this uncoupling can occur in a maternal form.' The translation is blighted by the constant use of `false friends', words that sound the same but don't mean the same in the two languages."

Also, "The notes, bibliography and index are riddled with mistakes. Names are misrecognised and bibliographical references are botched."

If you're thinking if forking out £30, or even Amazon's reduced price, you might want to check out the whole review. It looks as if the earlier edition, which was only criticized for the cuts it amde and not for the quality of the translation, might be the one to stick with for a while.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2014 10:47 PM BST

Coco Before Chanel [DVD]
Coco Before Chanel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 7 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Coco Before Chanel [DVD] (DVD)
I'm giving this a five to make up for all the imbeciles who have criticized a French film for being in French, and the other imbeciles who think it should have had more explosions in it. Actually, I thought it was a four.

I don't know how accurate the details of Coco Chanel's life are as shown, but it conveys the period beautifully. I think the French do historical films very well - partly because of their attention to detail, and partly because they concentrate on showing how things were rather than preaching or disapproving.

Audrey Tatou is in every scene and is rivetting. She plays Chanel as the relaistic and determined person she must have been. The other actors are good too, no wrong notes.

And it's stunningly photographed. Whether it's the inside of the convent, the ballroom in her lover's chateau, or the beach at Deauville, you can't take your eyes off it. For myself, I would have liked to know more about the fabrics and the clothes, but I realise I'm in a minority. I had expected to watch this film once and move on, but now I know I'll watch it again - well written, very well acted and beautifully photographed.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Nov. 2009
I don't understand why this book has been so successful. It should have been a good bit shorter - how often do we have to be told someone is drinking coffee? The lead character had that quality only to be found in novels written by men, in that every woman he met fell into bed with him for no obvious reason. I never believed that he was a successful investigative journalist, as he displayed no curiosity and no ability to communicate effectively with anyone - good journalists can get people to talk, and he never did. The girl seemed designed to make a point about Swedish social policy and never came remotely alive, and the scenes of her revenge were as exploitative as what they were meant to show disapproval of. The technical stuff was very uneven and included tiresome passages about Macs which were probably out of date by the time the book was translated. Oh yes, the translation: interestingly, it was into British English, not American English, but didn't seem to be by someone who had lived in Britain recently. I kept re-phrasing bits in my head, which slowed me down. The plot wasn't bad but was dragged out for too long.

I'm really surprised that this book has done so well; it fades away beside other Scandinavian crime fiction like Arnaldur Indridason and Karin Fossum, and Henning Mankell has nothing to worry about.

And the quote from Philip Pullman on the cover about it being a great thriller - how many thrillers do you think PP reads in a year? Not many, I would have thought.

Itty-Bitty Hats
Itty-Bitty Hats
by Susan B. Anderson
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Itty-Bitty Hats (Spiral-bound)
This is one of my favourite knitting books; I return to it again and again. It has patterns for very sweet baby hats, and also some quite funky and unusual ones, and the sizes cover babies to toddlers. You could start off with something very simple and add to your skills, especially as the hats knit up so quickly. I've knitted the Daisy Hat about 5 times now, and four or five of the others. If I had to prune my knitting bookshelf, this is defintely one of the ones I would hang on to.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2013 12:47 PM GMT

Newsroom: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [US Import]
Newsroom: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [US Import]
Offered by The Importer

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, 5 May 2009
This is a very funny sitcom set behind the scenes in a tv newsroom. More Larry Sandler Show than Drop the Dead Donkey, the characters are horribly ambitious, selfish and stupid, in turn. It's written by the actor who plays the most ambitious and unpleasant character and he's very good. Highly recommended.

He Who Fears The Wolf
He Who Fears The Wolf
by Karin Fossum

4.0 out of 5 stars Tightly plotted, 1 Mar. 2009
This review is from: He Who Fears The Wolf (Paperback)
This is the second Karin Fossum book I've read. She's very good at taking plots in a different direction from what you expect. I often find tightly plotted books a bit tiresome, as character can be sacrificed to coincidence, but this is terrific: the characters are all convincing, even the stranger ones, and when they bump into each other one is surprised and gripped, not unconvinced.

I thought I was going to find this too unpleasant to read at the beginning, and I nearly gave up, but I'm very glad I didn't. I genuinely didn't guess what was going to happen at the end - any of it - and the balance between tension and normality is very well maintained. I think it would make a very good film and after you've finished it you can wean yourself away from it by casting the main roles.

Page: 1 | 2