Profile for AnaBea > Reviews

The Sewing Bible - Slip Covers
The Sewing Bible - Slip Covers
by Wendy Gardiner

5.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly surprised, 27 Sept. 2011
There weren't as many projects about covering chairs as I'd hoped, but the other projects really inspired me and I was glad to have them. The project for creating a bench cushion is great (I'd never thought about tackling something like that before) and I've never seen such detailed instructions for making a round table cloth - the photograph is lovely too. Lots of professional home sewing techniques are here (it's written by Wendy Gardiner who I think was the editor of Sewing World mag). This actually a really great all-round home sewing book. The only thing missing is curtains, but Wendy has written another book in the series on this, which I'm now tempted to get too! Curtains: The Ultimate Resource of Techniques, Designs and Inspiration (Sewing Bible)

Countryside Softies
Countryside Softies
by Amy Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Foxy fun!, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Countryside Softies (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the fox on the cover - so cute! Really love the other animals - the way the author mixes the fabrics is really inspiring. They all look well made too - my own effort with the fox wasn't quite so nicely finished, but still looked good! Easy to follow and really nice photos - idealfor anyone who wants to make more unusual animals.

Get the Most from Your Sewing Machine
Get the Most from Your Sewing Machine
by Marion Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and inspiring!, 10 Feb. 2011
I liked the look of this book - I got a sewing machine for christmas and really wanted to learn how to use it. This book didn't teach me HOW to use it, but showed me loads of cool things I could use it for. I especially liked the section about sewing on materials like plastic - the bag project is great and I'm going to have a go. Lots to read too - curled up on the sofa with it for a really good browse for good ideas and inspiration. Great fun book and cool design too!

Simplify with Camille Roskelly (Stash Books)
Simplify with Camille Roskelly (Stash Books)
by Camille Roskelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and inspiring, 9 Feb. 2011
The quilts in here are fresh, modern and irresistible to make up! The designs really do encourage you to simplify, and gave me the courage to abandon pre-cut fabric and cut from my stash instead, knowing the the result would reflect my fabric choice, rather than 'mix it up' too much. Suitable for beginners looking for starter projects, and more intermediate patchworkers looking for fresh inspiration. Just wish there were more projects to choose from for the price, but maybe that's me being greedy!

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars pure joy, 21 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
I have loved this picture since my very first purchase of the heavenly box canvas. The fact is that I am forced to replace it with a new one on a regular basis. The canvas is beautifully finished and textured, but cannot withstand the tears of joy that I weep over it almost daily. It's fine with finger marks, lipstick smudges and even the odd lick, but needs some kind of special coating to withstand tears - perhaps the manufacturers could look into this, as I'm sure I'm not the only person experiencing this problem. However other than that it is perfect - the fact that I have difficulty controlling my emotions should not be of detriment to the score.

Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have it All
by Grace Dobush

4.0 out of 5 stars Really got me thinking and doing!, 12 Jan. 2010
This is a great book - I've been thinking vaguely about starting a small crafting business, and Crafty Superstar posed the pertinent questions I hadn't considered. It's also full of tips and advice. Although it's written with a US bias, it's still totally acceptable for the UK. Grace Dubosh has a really easy-to-read style of writing - casual but still focussed. My only criticism is that it's a bit short on advice about actually doing the making - for example setting up a one-woman production line, how to tackle big orders etc. HOWEVER she only had so many pages, and the book was enough to get me looking for further advice. However I'll be referring back to this as it takes you through the process of setting up really simply.

Fabric Scrapping: Creative & Fun Sewing Ideas for the Home: Creative and Fun Sewing Ideas for the Home
by Katie Ebben

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivating!, 11 Oct. 2009
Glad I bought this after much consideration - wasn't sure whether it would be accessible enough for me, as the cover makes it look like a home-style book. However the projects inside are sweet, charming and totally achievable. There are lots of inspiring and practical tips for making the most of your 'leftovers' stash, with lovely photography to match. Feels like a good investment to motivate me to stop buying new fabric (or at least not as much!) and make the most of my mountain of scraps.

Quilting in No Time: 50 step-by-step weekend projects made easy
Quilting in No Time: 50 step-by-step weekend projects made easy
by Emma Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for non-quilters who want the patchwork look, 4 Sept. 2009
This is NOT a patchwork and quilting book - let's make that clear. I quilt, but also do general sewing (Amy Butler stuff etc), and to my mind this is a sewing book for anyone who wants the patchwork and quilted 'vibe' with that modern Amy look, but without actually getting bogged down in learning to sew the 'quilting' way. If you're already a dedicated quilter, you WILL be disappointed in the disregard for quilting techniques and in fact the lack of much quilting at all (it focuses on the patchwork side). Try Quilt Yourself Gorgeous -lovely projects but written by an experienced quilter. However if you just love sewing with modern fabrics and want the patchwork look, then you'll love this as much as her last book (and the photography is really good here!).

Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
by Anna Maria Horner
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 3 Sept. 2009
Ordered this at the same time as Bend the Rules Sewing, and what different books! Seams to Me is lush and colourful with projects that look well designed and made. Lots has caught my eye already to make, but for now I'm happy browsing. Also a great taster for newbies - really helpful section on all the basics, even including using choosing prints and colours. A really fab package.

Bend-the-Rules Sewing
Bend-the-Rules Sewing
by Amy Karol

1.0 out of 5 stars Sew dissapointed, 3 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Bend-the-Rules Sewing (Paperback)
I was expecting great things of this book, but unfortunately it didn't live up to the rave reviews I've seen elsewhere. So-so projects, inadequate photography and frankly poor line drawings did nothing to inspire or send me running to my sewing machine.I always find some reason to keep a sewing book as I'm one of those people who love to browse through them and even occasionally make something! however in this case, I could find nothing that would make me go back to it. Sorry Amy - hope the next book is better.

Page: 1 | 2