Profile for Derek Jones > Reviews

Content by Derek Jones

Derek Jones

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
XM-PRO II TREADMILL - NEW 2017 Model Motorised Running Machine, Lightweight Folding Space Saving Design, Powerful Motor 1.0CHP, 10KPH Speed, Fixed Incline, 8 Auto + 1 Manual Program, Drinks Holder & Towel Rail
Offered by PrestigeSports

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but do note the 10% incline, 7 Dec. 2016
I bought this directly from Prestige because it cost a tenner less than buying it via Amazon. After spending a couple of weeks considering all the options regarding weight, features, reviews and price I decided on this Prestige treadmill. To be honest I believe that for an extra 40 or 50 quid the Pro III and the Dynamic are better value because they are slightly bigger and have more features. However, I opted for the Pro II because it suits my needs and weighs only 21 kg (which enabled me to carry it upstairs unaided). Because this treadmill is compact and lightweight the advertising is directed primarily at women but as a man I have found it perfectly satisfactory. It is quiet in operation and much the greatest noise - except for a few squeaks - is the pounding of feet. I am able to watch a video during brisk walking, though it is more difficult when jogging or using an automatic program with changes of speed. The rails are at a suitable height for those that use them.

Delivery was within two working days. The instructions are rubbish but it was relatively easy to assemble because there is so little to do. After use it is easy to fold it and store it upright.The machine shows time, distance, speed and calories burned – but only one at a time via scrolling. However, I did not find any machine in this price range that offered all of them simultaneously. Unusually for a machine in this price range it offers eight automatic programs in addition to manual mode. They involve changes of speed up to a maximum of 9 k/h (though it will operate at 10 k/h in manual mode) and the user determines the length of an automatic program between 5 and 30 minutes. If you want more than 30 minutes you can reset and start again.

I think it is necessary to point out that this treadmill has a fixed incline of 10%. This will be a bonus for some and a no-no for others. A 10% incline is quite steep and it is harder work walking or jogging on this treadmill than it is outside on level (or even undulating) terrain. I prefer brisk walking or jogging outdoors but this treadmill is useful during bad weather. For the price, the guarantee, and the lightweight but sturdy construction this treadmill is good value.

Robert Welch Handheld Knife Sharpener Replacement Ceramic Wheel
Robert Welch Handheld Knife Sharpener Replacement Ceramic Wheel
Offered by Purewell Electrical sold as an Agent of Euronics Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 18 April 2016
A necessary purchase because the original wheels in knife sharpeners have a limited life,and though not cheap it is much cheaper than buying a new sharpener. It is in fact much cheaper than at least one of Robert Welch's main competitors. Easy to fit and does the job.

Life At The Bottom
Life At The Bottom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that rings depressingly true, 21 Oct. 2014
A brilliant book that should be much more widely read. However, I am conscious that it will be read mostly be people predisposed to agree with the author, just as most readers of "Chavs: the demonization of the working class" by Owen Jones are probably left-wing. I do not agree with Jones but he makes a good case and it is instructive to read Dalrymple and Jones in the same week.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cartridges but it is more economical to buy the Apples cartridges with greater capacity, 21 Oct. 2014
I have had unfortunate experiences with compatible cartridges so I now always buy genuine Epson cartridges. The price here is competitive and I was happy with my purchase at the time. However, I now always buy Apple T1295 instead of these Fox cartridges. Apple cartridges hold more ink but the price does not rise proportionately, so you get more bang for your buck.

1x CKB LTD Microfibre CORAL Washable Pad Fits H2O H20, VAX S2 & Bionaire Steam Mop
Offered by CKB LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 21 Oct. 2014
It's OK but nothing to get excited about. I find it more difficult to push the mop with this pad than with the microfibre pad supplied with the Vax without it doing a discernibly better job.

Bosch AKE 40-19 S Electric Chainsaw, 40 cm Bar Length
Bosch AKE 40-19 S Electric Chainsaw, 40 cm Bar Length

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chainsaw I have owned, 20 Oct. 2014
I bought this Bosch chainsaw because I had purchased a Bosch hedgecutter and was very impressed with it. I also own a petrol chainsaw but this is lighter and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that it is safer. I use it for pruning trees in an orchard and it does a very good job.

BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking - Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally pleased with it, 20 Oct. 2014
I have not used the nuisance call blocking because I do not receive too many such calls - perhaps because I am ex-directory or perhaps I am just lucky. I was not looking for an Answerphone facility but I am now glad I have it since BT have started to charge for 1571. I noticed a couple of reviews that said the range was poor but I have used it at 50+ yards from the base without difficulty, My one complaint is that when on loudspeaker the sound is often distorted. What is strange is that it is not always distorted.

T&G - Set of 6 round tablemats in FSC® certified cork
T&G - Set of 6 round tablemats in FSC® certified cork

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodish quality, 20 Oct. 2014
Goodish quality and heat resistant. Six in a set is a very useful number. Will tolerate some spills if they are wiped immediately.

Laurel & Hardy - The Collection (21-disc Box Set) [DVD]
Laurel & Hardy - The Collection (21-disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stan Laurel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on a computer monitor, 26 Aug. 2014
I have watched all these films on a high quality computer monitor whilst using my exercise bike. The length of most of these Hal Roach comedies makes these films ideal for that purpose. I am more than satisfied with the quality of the picture and sound and it is interesting to see the colorized versions.

However, inflation seems to have taken hold. I bought this L&H collection from Amazon 3.5 years ago for less than £25. The current price as I write this is almost six times as much. At less than 25 quid it was an incredible bargain, but I would not want for fork out more than a hundred quid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2014 7:51 PM BST

Eco-Nique Natural Hemp Brown Case Cover for 6-inch Amazon Kindle 3/Global Wireless - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A good fit and comfortable to hold, 26 Aug. 2014
I have had this for more than three years and it has stood up well to wear and tear. A good fit and comfortable to hold.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16