Profile for Gordon Dawes > Reviews

Content by Gordon Dawes

Gordon Dawes "Gordon" (Guernsey, CI)

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas (Paul Lewis) 10 CD set
Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas (Paul Lewis) 10 CD set

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtlety, 29 May 2012
I can't pretend to be familiar with all of the leading recordings of the sonatas or to be able to give an informed technical judgement of their relative merits; but what I can say is that these are beautiful interpretations which stay with you and bear repeated listening. I confess that I was a little underwhelmed at first, but I had missed the point entirely. I have no idea what Beethoven intended or whether or not "Beethoven" has been removed or left in the music. These are, obviously, Paul Lewis' interpretations of Beethoven's music and have their own powerful validity as moving and deliberately understated communications of music which take their righful place amidst the canon of the best music ever written. I do not believe the one star reviews are deserved, but that's just my personal interpretation.

Melkco Luxe Vintage Red Handmade Leather Slimline Case for iPhone 4 / 4S
Melkco Luxe Vintage Red Handmade Leather Slimline Case for iPhone 4 / 4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 21 Sept. 2011
I really like this case; it's the best I have bought (and I have been through a few). It is a quality item, stylish and well made. I have had it a few weeks now and it's still looking good without any problem with the hinge. The fact that the front of the phone is covered and protected means I have been able to get rid of my badly applied screen protectors, which is a bonus. It also leads to a bit more discipline in terms of phone use. Really pleased.

Crumpler Royal RoyiPod-001 iPod Classic Leather Pouch - Brown/Orange
Crumpler Royal RoyiPod-001 iPod Classic Leather Pouch - Brown/Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit, 21 Sept. 2011
I bought one in red the other day and love it. Really good bit of kit, good quality, stylish and does the job. Good value and very pleased. Not often moved to write reviews so it must be good!

Byrd - Sacred Choral Works
Byrd - Sacred Choral Works

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Service, 9 Oct. 2010
If you enjoy English choral music then it does not get much better than this. Beautiful music beautifully executed. A recording I come back to often and never tire of listening to.

Lamenta
Lamenta

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet lament, 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Lamenta (Audio CD)
I love this disc. I come back to it over and over again and have bought it twice over the years (accidental damage to the first). This is music of great power and spirit, soothing and moving. It is brilliantly executed.

Handel - Ariodante / von Otter, Dawson, Cangemi, Podles, Croft, Sedov, Coadou, Les Musiciens du Louvre, Minkowski
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars I love you, 13 Dec. 2005
I love this disc, or rather 3 discs. It is one of my all-time favourite recordings. It's got everything. Great arias, great performers, great musicians, great conductor. It's in my grab-bag for the desert island.

Handel: Messiah
Handel: Messiah
Offered by usnap

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Messiah, 13 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Handel: Messiah (Audio CD)
The Messiah is self-recommending as Handel's masterpiece; but there are many, many recordings. I have a fair number and this is my favourite by some way. Marc Minkowski is a really wonderful conductor. He is still young and has already achieved much in the baroque repertoire. This is a lovely recording, featuring as it does Lynne Dawson and Magdelena Kozena. Brian Bannatyne-Scott sings a powerful and engaging bass. Minkowski's own band, the Musiciens du Louvre supply the music. Highly recommended and curiously under-rated or perhaps simply not known, but this is an Archiv disc, so hardly an obscure music company. Look out for his other recordings, such as Ariodante. As a former bassoonist Minkowski has a particularly good feel for the wind section and the spirit of a piece. There is a zest which is surely authentic yet often missing in the hands of others.

Bach, J.S.: Organ Works (DG Collectors Edition)
Bach, J.S.: Organ Works (DG Collectors Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars From the sublime to the sublime, 30 Nov. 2005
Musical taste is an intensely personal thing. Equally there are absolutes even in such a field which supersede the purely subjective. This recording is in that category. These are powerful and moving accounts of extraordinary music. Twelve discs which speak directly to the soul. This is music which I discovered as a 16 year old and which has remained a source of inspiration for almost 25 years. The fact that Walcha was blind is not strictly relevant; it merely underlines the artist's achievement.
Now, whether this set is better than Peter Hurford's for Decca, I don't know. I have enjoyed Walcha's set so much (on LP, tape and now this box set) that I have put off and put off buying the Hurford set, but I am hoping to get it for Christmas. It will not be in the expectation of a better interpretation but simply a different interpretation of this magnificent music.