Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for E. R. Pugh > Reviews

Content by E. R. Pugh

E. R. Pugh (Wales, United Kingdom)

Antarctic Wildlife: A Visitor's Guide (WILDGuides)
Antarctic Wildlife: A Visitor's Guide (WILDGuides)
by James Lowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent field guide, 29 Mar. 2013
The previous reviewers have described the benefits of this guide very comprehensively so I won't go over old ground.
I visited the Antarctic Peninsula in January this year and the guide was more than adequate for the purpose intended. I imagine most people cruise to the continent on various ships and the expedition ships in particular will have an extensive library of books on board covering the wildlife of the Antarctic. You can check this when you enquire about a trip with a tour operator. There are restrictions on weight on Internal flights in Argentina so don't risk exceeding your baggage allowance by taking unnecessary books with you. I used the guide a lot. If you want more in depth information about the life history of the animals you encounter then you can seek that elsewhere from various handbooks. Lowen's book is a field guide. The Albatross family is a difficult one so be careful on ID once you are out there. You will find the seabird section very useful when you cross the infamous Drake Passage! It's great guide and I highly recommend it.

Britain's Sea Mammals: Whales, Dolphins, Porpoises, and Seals and Where to Find Them (Britain's Wildlife)
by Jon Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all 'blubber' lovers, 5 Jan. 2013
This is a great addition to the 'WildGuides' series of identification guides written by people who know their stuff and with some superb photographs. Everyone with an interest in marine mammals in Britain whether you live here or intend to visit someday should include a copy of this guide on their book list. Like the other guides in this series it's a handy one to carry in your rucksack, or keep in the glove compartment of your car. You never know where one of our 'blubbery' (or furry) marine animals will pop up around our shores!

Wild Blue: A Natural History of the World's Largest Animal
Wild Blue: A Natural History of the World's Largest Animal
by Dan Bortolotti

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book on the blue whale, 11 Feb. 2012
I actually bought this book to present as a raffle prize for a marine charity but when I delved into it I couldn't put it down. I read it once then again to take it all in. It has been very well researched and is very readable and not scientifically 'stuffy'. I tend to get bogged down with facts and figures but this book is nicely balanced. The author has spent time out in the field (or on the water) with some of the World's top experts on the blue whale such as the likes of John Calombokodis and Richard Sears so he has certainly done his ground work and been sea-sick in the process. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in cetaceans and in particular the subject of the book the mighty blue whale.

Watching Giants: The Secret Lives of Whales
Watching Giants: The Secret Lives of Whales
by Elin Kelsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching Giants: The Secret Lives Of Whales, 24 Jan. 2009
This is one book I just couldn't put down and I was sad when I finished it as I wanted it to continue indefinately. It is positively crammed with fascinating facts about the lives of whales and dolphins. Seeing your first whale or dolphin is often a life changing experience for most people but its only when you study their often complex social lives in depth that you truly gain an understanding of cetaceans which inhabit a medium alien to us. There are however remarkable similarties with our own 'culture'. Dr. Kelsey's book reads like a good novel with its fair share of 'Intrigue', '(Whale)Sex' and 'Humour'! The book's release was timely in my case as there are many references in it to Baja and the Gulf of California an area which I will be visiting in March in search of Whales in one of the richest marine habitats on the Planet. If you have ever wondered how baby dolphins are able to keep up with their mothers when in motion then the book will explain 'Beroulli's Principle' to you in simple terms. Another fascinating fact is how Humpback Whales act collectively to herd fish by the use of sound (hunting sounds) and then form bubble-nets which allows other members of the group to gulp huge mouthfulls of fish. This is one fact that will definately impress your friends over a pint in a pub.
Thanks for a well written book Dr.Kelsey and opening my eyes to the mysterious World of the Whales the Ocean's gentle giants.