Profile for H. Fox > Reviews

H. Fox (Scotland)

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles

5.0 out of 5 stars gogglehunt ends, 6 Feb. 2010
Nearly forty years of wearing goggles in pools and these are the only really good goggles I have ever had. Features in order of importance to me are, they don't leak,are comfortable for an hour at a time, don't steam up (though I have only used them a dozen times so far),and are easy to adjust.
The comfort factor is the result of the fact that they sit outside the eye sockets and seem to be made of a very flexible material. They are bigger than any I have had previously and this enhances vision both ahead and sideways.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2011 11:00 PM BST

Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain
Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain
by Maryanne Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to Read, 31 Dec. 2009
This book gave me the answers to a question I have been asking primary school teachers for a long time, namely "How does a child learn to read?" Maryanne Wolf has been involved in clinical psychology for a long time and has done much research to try to answer this question, including brain imaging. The information she gives is detailed and fascinating and includes contrasting the processes in the brain for reading an alphabetic, phonetic language and a more visual one such as Mandarin. She also compares what goes on in the brain of a dyslexic when reading with that of the more usual brain.
My own interest was aroused when my three year old daughter, seeking to copy her older brother, asked for a book she could read herself. I provided her with what seemed to be suitable materials, starting with a folded sheet of card with "Janet's Book" written on the outside and one short sentence and one picture inside. She got a new book of this type the next day with two sentences and this continued. Each day I wrote what she told me to write so she knew what the words were saying and long before she went to school she was reading real books.
Wolf's book is very readable and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the subject which must be almost anyone who can read.