Profile for Ruby > Reviews

Content by Ruby

Ruby

Garmin nuvi 1490TV 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Digital TV and Radio and Bluetooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but TV a disappointment, 8 July 2010
I've never owned a SatNav, but I've used others, and on the whole this one is better. But then it ought to be as it's newer and more expensive.

Although the TV function is a bonus, I've found that it's difficult to pick up reception in most places, even when the two long aerial cables are attached, and I'm in the middle of Cardiff. Fortunately it does work in my home (with the aerials draped across the furniture), and when it works, it works well.

The lane assist is a good feature, but it's a shame that it only assists on motorways and not on other roads where it would be possibly of more use.

I have tried using this SatNav for geocaching once - I set it to pedestrian mode, off-road, and kept the journey log switched on. But it was nowhere near as good as even a basic handheld GPS device. I didn't find the cache, although it was in woodland and would perhaps be more successful elsewhere. Other than obtaining a satellite signal, the other problem with using this for geocaching was that North stays at the top of the screen, and the orientation doesn't change as you walk.

The way that this SatNav warns you of heavy traffic ahead is useful, but not 100% accurate. I have tested it out a few times on routes that I know fairly well. Occasionally it has tried to re-direct me to avoid the congestion, but when I ignored this instruction I actually reached my destination quicker. So don't believe everything it tells you.

Otherwise it seems pretty good, and I think does everything standard SatNavs do. I like the Ecoroute feature, as you can calculate your actual fuel consumption, and when you reach your destination it tells you how much the journey would have cost you in fuel. Useful if you're claiming expenses.

When I bought this there were no other user reviews around. So I hope that helps someone out there in making a decision!