Profile for M. D. Armstrong > Reviews

Content by M. D. Armstrong

M. D. Armstrong "Sloughbomb" (newcastle, england)

Too Much Information
Too Much Information

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to reveal its secrets but when it does...!!, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Too Much Information (Audio CD)
Well, where to start?

How about with the first single, 'Brain Cells'...Oh. What is this? Where's the tune? Sounds too different...Then there's 'Lydia, the Ink Will Never Dry'..oh dear, Maximo by numbers I fear..I'm underwhelmed.

The album is released and I take in the cover..my first impressions are that it's a poor piece of art, so I feel slightly put off, despite knowing that this band are one of the most consistently brilliant and criminally under-rated bands of the last few years..so what follows is a week or so of prevaricating and wondering whether I should buy it.

I resolve that it HAS to be bought, it's Maximo Park. I discuss with a fellow fan. He says it's a grower, I have my doubts, but take the plunge and buy the vinyl copy (which includes the CD).

A few listens...hmmmm I'm still not convinced. I stick with it. I play it a few more times and then find it's constantly on, in the car; on the ipod whilst pottering about the house. The songs begin to reveal their hidden melodies and magic and the odd snippet of lyric becomes clearer every time it's on. I find myself humming the tunes and wanting to hear it more...

The EUREKA moment hits me. This album is pure BRILLIANCE. Highlights are Leave this Island, My Bloody Mind, and Midnight on the Hill....it's Maximo Park, only they've evolved and shifted, widening their palette.

I'll never doubt them again. Too Much Information is a stunning album. Paul Smith and the band, I salute you.

Trust me; give this a chance to seep into your brain cells, it's a cracker!

Withnail And I [VHS]
Withnail And I [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A film you simply must see before you die!, 25 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Withnail And I [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Firstly, prepare yourself - leave school, go off to study and develop a healthy hatred of the world of work. Feverishly hang on to your dreams of making it. Abhor authority and despise order. Gather some like minded friends around and close the curtains. Settle down with a large bag of your favourite snack and a few ales and pop 'Withnail and I' into your video.
Your life is about to be changed - you'll laugh, you'll cry, and at the end of it all you'll be a better person. Because you see, all the hype is true. This is the film these actors were born to make. Throughout your life you'll watch it again - it'll be like an old and trusted friend you revisit on the odd occasion.
I insist then, purchase and see if I tell the truth. I think you'll thank me for it.