Profile for M. Evans > Reviews

Content by M. Evans

M. Evans (Wales, UK)

My Tech Air Purifier with Ioniser and Colour Changing LED Light for Relief to People Suffering from Airborne Allergies, Plastic, White
Offered by Electro World

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 24 July 2012
This is my third bubble in six years. Getting the one negative point out of the way first...I found the previous ones eventually burnt out, although I did have them running 24/7 and both lasted 3yrs. I'm sure the problem was due to the dust building up within the hood. No matter what I tried or used I couldn't quite clear out the build-up and the ability to filter air and dissipate the aroma was gradually reduced. It's a shame the manufacturer hasn't developed a removable filter, as otherwise this product would be perfect...but then, it would probably me far more expensive!

The positives are, as it says on the tin. It clears the air and if left overnight, you are greeted by such fresh air when you enter the room next morning. I can only liken it to the clean air after a thunder storm. Although I leave it running downstairs with the internal doors open, the aroma reaches the bedrooms (and so I assume also clears the air upstairs, given how fresher it feels each morning). This also overcomes the noise factor - it's not a quiet machine yet neither is it overly noisy. To some it may be soothing hearing the water spin? The airborne particles it collects settles in the water, which means you can visibly gauge when the water needs changing. The added bonus is the selection of perfumes you can buy (or have none depending on your preference).

I wasn't going to buy another one of these and spent ages looking for something similar..with a removable filter... in the hope it would last longer. I caved in after failing to find such a product and hence, my third bubble. To my delight this latest version has an on/off switch (previous ones had to be turned off at the socket - a pain as the plug was located behind furniture). It also has a plastic bowl (previous ones were glass - always nervous when I changed the water incase I damaged it & the product become unusable) and this time there's a speed regulator.

Living in a dusty house, with a partner who's a smoker suffering from skin problems, plus two dogs with dust allergies, I know this product helps in alleviating some of their discomfort. The bonus for me is less dusting and the reduction in smoke smell, replaced by a gentle aroma. Friends who visit have seen these advertised on shopping channels and assumed them to be gimmicks. But each one went out and bought an air purifier/ioniser after being sat in my lounge and felt the difference it made. They didn't all buy this particular product but each have said how their filters have eased their asthma or chest problems. The bonus of this one is the perfume it emits whilst it does its job.

The transaction with the seller was perfect and would recommend. Well packaged and a decent delivery time.

Sankey 38 cm Growarm 100 Propagator Kit
Sankey 38 cm Growarm 100 Propagator Kit
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value propagator, 17 April 2012
Having read the previous reviews I thought I'd give this propagator a try, given the reasonable price compared to others I'd seen. I was a little hesitant, wondering if the the price was too good to be true. Other similar models I'd seen were at least £10 more plus additional cost of p&p if bought online.

Tomato and sweet/chilli peppers germinated well so I returned to amazon and bought another two. Over the past two months I've germinated a range of seeds from imopea, datura, cuces and some bedding plants successfully. The propagators have already paid for themselves.

I originially thought not having a thermostat would limit what I could germinate, but even the seeds such as datura that can take months to germinate and also require a higher temperature, popped up within a week and are growing strong.

Shifting around so many seedlings meant I needed more trays than what was supplied, but again not a problem. I simply cut off the corners of half trays I already had. Bit of a tight squeeze but they did the job.

The service from Amazon was perfect as always. The invoice stated delivery would take 2wks but they all arrived within 4-5days.

I'd defnitely give this product 10/10.

The Tudors - Season 1-3 [DVD]
The Tudors - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Offered by benmguernsey

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive watching, 9 Jan. 2010
We never had the opportunity to watch this when it was broadcast on the TV, so watched it for the first time via these dvds.

As a drama it's one of the best historical series my partner and I have watched. It's opulent, intense yet easily followed, with the cast perfect for each role (possibly apart from the king - see below). There are many adult scenes and gory bits that I'd consider not suitable for children, but it is classified as suitable for 15+.

We watched all nine dvds over the Christmas period, preferring it to anything being broadcast on the tv.... which says a lot! You watch one episode, and just have to watch the next to see what unfolds. I had an avid interest in Henry during my younger years so have some knowledge of the history. My partner didn't but has an idea now, having watched the dvds. Although apprecaite it may rankle those considered experts in this historical field.

I have rated it 4/5 as it could be easily miconstrued as a factual narration of Henry VIII's life. It runs very close to it, but the main thing that stood out and took a few episodes to accept, was the actor cast as Henry VIII. Jonathan Meyers is an absolute hunk, an exceptional actor I'd not heard of before (his fleeting facial expressions communicate precisely what's going on in his mind!), but is physically the complete opposite to the 'real' king, who was a red/blond haired giant.

Jonathan is shorter than most of the main male actors and dark haired - but this may have been a done to poetically portray how 'large' the king's personality was in real life. Jonathan's acting skills are so outstanding, after the third episode I'd let go of the thought I wasn't watching a historical documentary but a drama loosely based on the life of Henry VIII, I was totally immersed in the series.

Overall a gem set of dvds, well worth the money. Although be warned of the frustration when you get to the end of the last one....you have to wait until April 2010 to see the next episode on tv.

The Bible of Illuminated Letters: A Treasury of Decorative Calligraphy (Quarto Book)
by Margaret Morgan
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 13 Feb. 2009
Over the years I've collected many books on calligraphy and illumination. They are all good, they provide the learning but this by far is truly inspirational.

I'd read many good reviews on it, but did not expect the sheer beauty of the book when it arrived. The colours are vivid, the gold shines metallic throughout, and it looks and feels like an ancient script. It is enjoyable just to sit and slowly turn the pages.

It has a spiral binding, which doesn't detract from its looks and really is practical. I've lost count how many times I've had to crack a small book open and still have to weigh down the corners to stop the pages turning. These pages lie flat and are well laid out.

The techniques are clear and the drawings of a nature where it would be easy to trace the letter, rather than try to copy it freehand. Much of the problem, I find, with illuminated letters is the scale of the intricacy - so small and fiddy. The letters offered can be copied as their outlines allow you detail them as much as you like.

It's the first book I've seen which matches Capital/Illuminated letters to specific lower case alphabets. Other books I have tend to be very non-committal and sporadic in doing this.

In this book, each type of alphabet has its own section and both the Illuminated letters and lower-case calligraphic ones are laid out. So no more writing in the style of gothic, then having to make do with a basic Celtic illuminated letter because you're not quite sure what pattern and detail a Gothic illuminated letter should include.

The tips and suggestions are good - e.g. I'd never thought of masking the tiny areas of letters when decorating, although do it in painting. And next time, I'll paint in a different order as suggested. Simple, maybe obvious tips and techniques to remind or prompt our minds appear helpfully through the pages.

Not a book for a total beginner in calligraphy. It lays out well the various alphabets, outlines their history and explains how they differ from others, but it doesn't show the pen stroke directions as you would find in a beginner book. It gives the scaling to use which is enough if you have an understanding of pen strokes and their effects.

There is some information on decoration such as borders towards the back. Too little maybe for some, but it's avoided the pitfall many illuminated books do and that is to try and cover both letters and other means of illumination in one book. Illumination is a vast topic and to focus on letters alone, with acknowledgement of complimentary decoration was a good choice.

If you're setting out wanting to learn the techniques of letter illumination then I cannot fault this book. Simple, easy to use but certainly not basic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2011 6:24 PM BST