Profile for puggyr > Reviews

Content by puggyr

"puggyr" (Reading, Berhshire United Kingdom)

iriver H320 Lite 20GB MP3 Player with Tuner (SE)
iriver H320 Lite 20GB MP3 Player with Tuner (SE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 5 Jan. 2005
Loads of accessories, features, great quality in general. I'm very pleased with it. I only have 2 gripes.
1) Who are these headphones designed for? Dumbo the elephant? Who has ears this big?
2) This could be my lack of know-how, but I've found it annoying that I can't recursively play a directory structure. e.g.
Jimi Hendrix->
_________________________...
______________Blues Jam No1 Part 1 Feat. B.B.King.mp3
______________Like A Rolling Stone Feat. B.B.King.mp3
______________...
I would like to be able to "Play" the Jimi Hendrix folder as opposed to a song within a folder and thus making the songs played exclusively those in that folder. I know this could be done with playlists easily, but I'd like to be able to do it on the fly.
Other than those 2 minor things. It's great.

The Confusion (Baroque Cycle 2)
The Confusion (Baroque Cycle 2)
by Neal Stephenson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as Quicksilver, 18 Oct. 2004
It's a really good continuation from Quicksilver apart from the Eliza part of the story gets a bit tiresome.

Otherland: River Of Blue Fire: River of Blue Fire Bk.2
Otherland: River Of Blue Fire: River of Blue Fire Bk.2
by Tad Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there...., 15 Dec. 2003
The concluding part of the Otherland story is great. My only reservation is that as a series I feel like it moved a bit slowly and could really have covered the same ground in a bit less space. Perhaps 3 books. Apart from that, the depth of imagination that goes into this story is incredible, I definitly reccommend anyone to this book (after reading the other 3 first of course) as long as you have a little patience to get you through the slow bits.

The Reindeer People
The Reindeer People
by Megan Lindholm

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, but none the less, pretty good., 31 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Reindeer People (Paperback)
Having got into Megan Lindholm after reading her books as Robin Hobb I was slightly dissapointed by this book as it is quite different. The book itself isn't dissapointing, I was just expecting more of the same epic stories, that were the Farseer, and Liveship Trader trilogies. It has has an involving and interesting plot, and I suppose is a more basic sort of fantasy than the high fantasy of the Robin Hobb books. On the whole I liked this book, but in its own right, rather than as more of the same Robin Hobb stuff.

The Redemption of Althalus
The Redemption of Althalus
by David Eddings

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and badly written, 6 Oct. 2001
I found this book drag on for ever. The writing is childish most of the time and the book has obviously not been thought out as it is wriddled with inconsistancies. Explanations are rarely given for everything, many of the unexplained things being glossed over with a "Its best you not know, pet", All the way through the book I just kept thinking, hmm, if they can do "that" why don't they just go and do this, and whatever time rules the authors seem to have inlaid into this book don't seem to make any sense either. I can't understand how this book can posibly be a bestseller. If I hadn't been given it as a present, I would have taken it back to the shop it is so bad. Stick to Robin Hobb and other good fantasy writers is my advice.

Sams Teach Yourself CGI in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself CGI in 24 Hours
by Richard Colburn

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good!, 9 Aug. 2001
Nonsense that you need Unix to use this book, its specifically geared towards people with Windows. The chmod function...well, in windows all you do is right click on the required file and change the properties, easy as that! :-) A lot of stuff is convered in this book, some of it lacks details...If your serious about using CGI though your going to need a PERL book as well. I must say that there are a few mistakes in the book, however, the best way to learn anything is to fix problems. A lot of trial and error, ...a CGI newsgroup and this book have made me a fairly competent CGI programmer.

Mobile Robots: Inspiration to Implementation, Second Edition
Mobile Robots: Inspiration to Implementation, Second Edition
by Joseph L. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Interesting and Informative, 1 Aug. 2001
This book contains loads of useful information, the only problem is obtaining the exact parts, I've never been able to locate somewhere to buy the kit for the rug warrior, which you are meant to be able to buy. This book is helping me a lot with my degree course - Cybernetics at Reading.