Profile for Peter Mountford > Reviews

Peter Mountford (London)

The Clearing
The Clearing

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite superb, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Clearing (Kindle Edition)
This is writing of the highest order. The simmering heat, period detail, finely-drawn memorable characters and explosive action alone would qualify it as Southern noir at its best. But the poetry of each perfectly turned sentence raises it to literature. A wonderful find, and I will read every word the man writes.

California Fire And Life
California Fire And Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifically good, 3 Aug. 2014
The first book I've read by Don Winslow, and what a find! Superb noir with hints of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen, but a unique style nonetheless. Number one in my crime writer charts, with a bullet.

The Game: (Victor the Assassin 3)
The Game: (Victor the Assassin 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete package, 5 April 2013
If you like plenty of action combined with ingenious strategy, Tom Wood's Victor novels are hard to beat. The only ones I look forward to enough to pre-order, anyway. Roll on the next!

The Happy Depressive: In Pursuit of Personal and Political Happiness
The Happy Depressive: In Pursuit of Personal and Political Happiness

1.0 out of 5 stars I fell for this one, 12 Jan. 2012
On reading that Alastair Campbell had written an ebook about happiness I was pleased to see it cheap on Kindle, and bought it without hesitation. Having read it in, well, I didn't set a stopwatch but it can't have taken more than fifteen minutes, I realised I had been sold an essay, not a book. Fine - but as a fellow sufferer of depression from time to time, it offered me no insights into either happiness or unhappiness, or much else for that matter. In it, Mr Campbell openly admits that he is now making a lucrative living from public speaking, and now plans to write several books. I congratulate him on finding a market for his undoubted skill as a speech-writer, and hope his other offerings are far more substantial than this slight effort. I am not Campbell-bashing, (for that I would have to join a long queue), and I admire the guy for his candour, but I thought this was pretty worthless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2012 4:28 PM BST

A Drink Before the War/Darkness, Take My Hand
A Drink Before the War/Darkness, Take My Hand
by Dennis Lehane

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 24 Aug. 2010
This was my introduction to Dennis Lehane and his Kenzie-Gennaro investigations, and he has gone straight to the top of my favourite crime writer list. With the first two novels in one volume, I careered through the first and immediately started the second, then ordered all the rest. Complex plots, thrilling action, pacy prose, tough wisecracking heroes - what more could you ask for? Leaves the rest standing.

61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
61 Hours: (Jack Reacher 14)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Slippery slope, 4 April 2010
I have read every one of the Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them - Lee Child has created an addictive series that is one of the very few on my pre-order list. Like some other reviewers I felt this one fails to maintain the quality, however, and the unfinished ending left me feeling cheated rather than impatient for the sequel.
While the book had atmosphere by way of the sub-zero temperatures, the plotting was obvious and the technical detail more than usually unconvincing. We are also supposed to believe that Reacher, who has previously beaten four assailants as large as himself, struggled to subdue a midget trapped beneath him in a fight.
The romantic interest between him and a female army officer is just a repeat of all those previous affairs with uniformed women that never go anywhere, and I began to feel this series has passed its best.
Lee Child's skill as a writer, using short, clipped sentences and a steady rhythm, is what carries the reader along. The increasing occurrence of false notes in the technical details and over-use of Americanisms such as 'gotten' and 'some kind of a' spoil the flow and shatter the illusion, though, and maybe it's time for Jack to settle down.

Pilgrimage
Pilgrimage
by Dr. Alan Byron

5.0 out of 5 stars Pilgrimage, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Pilgrimage (Paperback)
A fascinating, hugely enjoyable insight into the daily tribulations and triumphs of an NHS GP who turns to Eastern religion for enlightenment. Highly original and thought provoking - impossible to put down.