Profile for D. Brockis > Reviews

Content by D. Brockis

D. Brockis "dave6566" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Red Mars (Mars Trilogy Book 1)
Red Mars (Mars Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hold my attention, 26 Jun. 2014
Though not crushingly awful, I really can't see the appeal of this book. My main criticism is that the characters never came to life, so ultimately I couldn't care what happened to any of them. I very rarely give up on a book halfway through, but I did with this one. I've been reasonable and awarded this two stars because it is at least well edited and coherent, unlike many of the self published works.

Organic Pu-Erh Chinese Black Tea 125g Caddy
Organic Pu-Erh Chinese Black Tea 125g Caddy
Offered by Steenbergs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 14 May 2014
I've tried a number of quality teas recently and this is up there with the best. A very pleasing taste with little to no bitterness (I drink it black, with no sugar) and you can get a very good second brew out of the leaves. I'll be ordering another caddy as soon as this one runs out.

Sena Slim Black Leather Pouch Case Cover for Apple iPhone 4 4S
Sena Slim Black Leather Pouch Case Cover for Apple iPhone 4 4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 12 Oct. 2013
This is a very good quality slipcase. It fits my iPhone snugly, but not so tightly that it won't come out easily. The stitching is perfect and looks strong. It adds hardly any bulk to the phone, unlike many cases I've tried.

I had a Sena case for a couple of years for my iPhone 3GS, and it wore extremely well and I have no doubt that this case will last just as well. I really wouldn't bother with cases from anyone else; Sena's are the best.

The Tea Makers of London Luxury Ceylon Pekoe Loose Leaf Black Tea 125 g Caddy
The Tea Makers of London Luxury Ceylon Pekoe Loose Leaf Black Tea 125 g Caddy

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice cuppa, 24 May 2013
I'm not a tea expert, but I wanted something a bit better than a bog standard tea bag since giving up milk and sugar in my morning cup. I tried Twinning's loose leaf Breakfast Tea, but this was not any better than what you get in a standard tea bag, i.e. dust. This, buy contrast, is worlds away from that; it looks and smells like proper tea and has a good flavour that's not over heavy on the tannin. I can't say what it's like with milk and sugar, but I'd expect that it would make a nice, light, refreshing cup. The tins good too.

Fantasy & Science Fiction, Extended Edition
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Extended Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great writing, 12 Feb. 2013
This is excellent value: the extended edition presents a mix of Novella and Short Story length fiction. The standard of writting rarely falls below excellent and the stories cover a wide range of fantasy and SciFi genres. I suppose a note of warning is due; if you do favour a specific genre you may have to wait an issue or two for you preference to turn up, however I don't hesitate to recommend this magazine to anyone who appreciates good short fiction writing.

Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)
Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 10 Feb. 2013
This has all the naïveté of 1930's era Sci-Fi without the period charm. Lacks innovation, originality and character development. Avoid.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, good value, 15 April 2012
How my set up went:

Freed up a socket near my router, plugged in the adapter and connected it (with included cable) to my router.

Freed up a socket near my Mac, plugged in the adapter and connected it (with the other included cable) to my Mac.

Went back to the adapter by the router and held down the pairing button for a count of ten.

Moved to the adapter by my Mac, held down pairing button for a count of ten.

Turned off WiFi on Mac and started using wired connection.

A point of note, the instructions indicate that these adapters shouldn't be used on an extension lead (hence socket freeing up), so make sure you either have a free socket available within a metre of the device you need to connect or have a longer network cable available.

I needed to take some of the strain off my wireless network, and this has done the trick. I'm now able to stream HD video off of my Mac to my TV (via an Apple TV box) with no problems, where I previously couldn't watch more than a few minutes before everything locked up.

For the money, this is very good.

2.5" HDD IDE Enclosure Caddy For Laptop Hard Drives USB 2.0 - XP/VISTA/MAC/WINDOWS 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 17 Jan. 2012
I've bought several hard drive enclosures over the years and this is definitely the best one so far. The case is barely bigger than the 2.5" drive, which fits in perfectly snuggly and securly. The case is secured by two small screws and an appropriately sized skew drive was supplied. I also like the split 2 into 1 USB cable - you use two USB ports on your PC or Mac, one for data and one for power. You might get away with using just one, but this depends on the power draw of the hard drive and the power load on your USB bus. This is excellent value and a great way of reusing the drive out of an old laptop, or recovering data from a failed machine.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beaten for the money, 9 Nov. 2011
I purchased these to replace a pair of cheap Sony headphones that hadn't survived the attention of my kids. I am very impressed by the Sennheiser's comfort: they are light, well padded and easily adjustable. The cups fit well round the ear and cancel out far more external noise than many of the more expensive headphones I've owned. The sound quality doesn't come close to that of high end headphones, but you'd need to spend five or six times the price of these to get really noticeably better reproduction. Great value.

She Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
She Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
by Helen Castor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Jun. 2011
A really great read. Helen Castor is a hugely talented story teller as well as a serious historian, and She Wolves immerses you in the mediaeval world like no other history. I have read the Kindle version and then bought a copy for my mother to read, She is now trying to get her copy back from her friends so she can read it again. Buy this now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4