Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "duffcub" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Offered by Farbrengen

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound perfect to me., 6 Feb. 2015
Great headphones for the price. Having tried 'phone at multiples of this price, I'm not sure the difference is worth it. These have crystal clear, dynamic sound with great range at all volume levels. They're well padded and comfortable, although wearing with glasses, as with all headphones, does eventually cause discomfort. Cord is a little short - I was wanting to use these with my guitar amp, but will need an extension cable to avoid having to crouch or sit right next to it. They do leak a bit, so I'd be wary of using them at reasonable volume on public transport, but otherwise very pleased with them.

Cabin Max DayPack / student rucksack with padded laptop, netbook, ipad, tablet- Black
Offered by Home & Travel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-around bag, which will last if you don't abuse it., 20 Aug. 2014
A good, light, cheap bag which is strong enough to discreetly carry a laptop, with room for lots of other bits and pieces. Waterproofing is adequate, although the large open pocket on the front is surely going to collect water in heavy rain. Comfortable to carry with well padded adjustable straps and back. Laptop pocket is large enough to hold a MacBook Pro 13" - anything larger, and you might struggle, but check the dimensions before buying to avoid disappointment.

Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous)
Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous)
by Kate Griffin

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully the start of something great, 15 Mar. 2013
I've really enjoyed the Matthew Swift series of novels, and was really interested to see where this new view on Kate Griffin's urban fantasy series would go. I was not disappointed! 'Stray Souls' has a very different feel to the Swift series; much more of an ensemble piece, with an interesting approach where character back-story and current whereabouts are interjected in (in some cases) very short chapters. The characterisation is great, with some really interesting characters. The main plot itself is straight out of the Swift canon, and itself is less important than enjoying the characters as they battle their way to the inevitable ending. London itself, as with the Swift novels is the real star. Vivid descriptions, with a detailed understanding of the locale makes it a character in its own right.

A great start, and I really hope there are more in this series.

Berghaus Spectrum Gloves
Berghaus Spectrum Gloves
Price: £12.40 - £18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just wanting an elasticated cuff, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Berghaus Spectrum Gloves (Misc.)
These gloves are fine, and are plenty warm enough. However, like other reviewers, I do find the cuff annoying, in that there is very little give, and while pulling them on is OK, removing them with hot and sweaty hands makes for a less simple task. I find my hands get very sweaty in these gloves while wearing for a relatively short period, so I'd be interested to find out how they behave on longer periods of wear (over an hour). I also found that they tend to slide down your hands a bit, leaving gaps at the ends of the fingers. Fitted properly, they're fine, but I keep having to pull them back on. Suspect this might be related to the cuff, being slightly stiff and being pushed down by my coat. All in all, not bad for the price, but I might look elsewhere next time I need some gloves.

Rolson 70740 Cordless Screwdriver, 4.8 V
Rolson 70740 Cordless Screwdriver, 4.8 V
Offered by deals-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Underpowered and unimpressive, 13 Jun. 2012
Bought this as I was looking for a small cheap electric screwdriver to save me having to use my cordless drill, but wish I hadn't bothered. The charge indicator failed after the first charge, and it just doesn't have enough poke for any serious 'driving. Now looking for a better alternative, and this time I'm going to spend some more to get something more substantial.

Don't Explain
Don't Explain

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues deluxe, 13 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Don't Explain (Audio CD)
This kind of passed me by when it first came out. Heard the single, and enjoyed it, but didn't bother following up. I'm a huge Joe Bonamassa fan, and recently bought his Beacon Theatre DVD, where I was reintroduced to the fabulous Beth Hart who guests on a few songs. I was enthralled by her vocals, and decided to give this another try. Wow! Wish I'd done so before! Absolutely stunning album, and it completely hooks you in with spectacular vocals, and sublime arrangements. Joe takes a back seat in terms of prominence on most tracks, but when he lets rip with his signature tone, you just melt with pleasure. A marriage made in blues heaven, and a superb album I would recommend to fans of great music. I've also spent some time investigating Beth Hart's solo records, and would recommend them all whole-heartedly.

En Vivo! [Blu-ray] [2012]
En Vivo! [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Iron Maiden

4.0 out of 5 stars More from the beast, 27 Mar. 2012
I watched the extras on this blu-ray first, and I'm glad I did. The 'Behind the Beast' documentary easily rivals, and perfectly supplements 2010's 'Flight 666' film. This time, told from the perspective of the crew and backroom staff, it documents exactly what an incredible piece of work it is getting a Maiden tour off the ground (literally!) and around the world. What you get is a feeling of the love, pride and professionalism the crew have for the band, the fans and their work which explains the success of the tours, and why Maiden still rule thirty years after they started out in a van.

The concert itself is excellent, although I did find the sound a bit muddy, but it's a great memento of the Final Frontier tour, and another great addition to the collection of Maiden live concert videos.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2012 3:59 PM BST

Dust Bowl
Dust Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Going from strength to strength, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (MP3 Download)
This is just a brilliant, highly accomplished album. I was waiting in eager anticipation for this, having heard the Dust Bowl 'single' well in advance, and also been privileged to have seen Joe play live last year, where he premièred 'Slow Train'... I couldn't wait to see what the rest of the record would be like.

In the end I was blown away by the production and the sheer quality of this album. Joe's playing is getting better and better, as his is singing. Some of the collaborations are just inspired, and there's not a duff track on here. There's a wide variety of styles, from traditional blues, some out-and-out rockers, and some really gentle tracks which build and build, in the same vein as Sloe Gin and other Bonamassa classics. It's also a really atmospheric album, and it really sucks you in.

Current fave is 'The Whale that Swallowed Jonah' which has me rocking round my kitchen when I hear it on the radio, but the whole album just delivers on every level, and I really can't wait for his next recording... namely the new Black Country Communion record due in June. Joe is fast becoming the best thing out there, and I can't get enough just now.

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Metallic Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Metallic Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best things come in small packages, 28 April 2011
Bought this as a backup drive to store all my volatile data files, and for the price, it's a steal. It really is passport sized, and plugs and plays perfectly with my Vista setup. Installed the included software, and had everything backed up (few hundred GB) overnight. Just what I wanted, and it's small enough to be able to stick in a pocket and carry around, should the mood or need take you! Only real gripe is for the price, you would expect to get a more substantial lead than the included USB3 cable which is only about 30cm long which makes it hard to properly site the drive without having to balance it somewhere, but that's a minor quibble.

Interested to see what the lifespan of the drive is, with it being a portable one. May have to invest in a case if I'm needing to carry this around too much, but for now it's parked neatly on my PC and doing exactly what I wanted.

Joe Bonamassa - Live From The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2009]
Joe Bonamassa - Live From The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Joe Bonamassa

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed to perfection, 8 Oct. 2009
It's hard to be mad at this DVD... Being unable to see Joe giving it his all at the gig he's wanted to play all his life, and listening to the sparklingly brilliant sound, it's a joy, but just sadly let down by the quality of the filming.

It's hard to believe that this is brought to you by the same people who produced the amazing live footage on 'Iron Maiden: Flight 666', and I'd be really worried if, as the cover blurb claims, "this concert experience will set the benchmark for the genre". There are just so many shots out of focus that it really disrupts from the viewing pleasure of this concert. It's as though some of the more 'candid' shots have been taken from fans and crew with mobile phone cameras in some places! Shaky, badly composed shots, which really should have stayed on the cutting room floor. I'm being picky, yes, and most of the footage is great, but this makes the bad stuff really noticeable.

But nevermind all that... just sit back and enjoy one of the finest guitarists in the world giving a standout performance of great blues rock with a band clearly enjoying every second. As I said, the sound is fantastic, and ultimately, that's what you want in a live concert DVD.

Page: 1 | 2