Profile for Bonesun! > Reviews

Content by Bonesun!

Bonesun! (Stockport)

Q Acoustics Concept 40 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) (Gloss Black)
Q Acoustics Concept 40 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) (Gloss Black)
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding floorstanding., 28 Oct. 2016
I vacillated for weeks over whether I should buy these or a pair of Concept 20s, with accompanying stands, as the new front pair for my Home Theatre set-up. I opted eventually for the Concept 20s plus stands, and, well, I’m afraid that I was wrong. Not that there's a lot of cause for complaint about the 20s; they're excellent value-for-money speakers, but I'm fond of my bass, and the room in which I have my Home Theatre set-up is fairly big (4 metres x 6.5), and the 20s just lacked the oooomph to fill it. So, after carefully picking the right moment, I sidled up to my better half and was (eventually) given permission to go for the 40s.
Q acoustics have doubled up the 125mm drivers, and use significantly bigger magnets in the Concept 40s; the difference is remarkable. There’s bass to spare, which isn't to suggest that it's excessive; these speakers simply provide a satisfying warm low-frequency delivery without sounding like they're struggling to do so. The mid-range receives a very satisfying boost too, and the 40s fill the room with a warm, characterful, full-spectrum sound that I’m afraid the 20s can’t compete with. The latter DO make a pair of quality surround speakers though, and even my wife (who claims to be tone deaf) grudgingly admits that the combination of 40s and 20s, paired with a Yamaha RX-A3050 amp, has hugely improved the listening experience in the front room (I'll still have to pick the right moment to ask permission for the Concept centre speaker and a new subwoofer though).
If you have a large space to fill, and your budget extends to cover the difference (careful hunting will bag you a pair of 40s for much less than £900+), I would wholeheartedly endorse the bigger sibling of the Concept range. The sound quality is unequivocally superior, and they take up no greater room.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pugtastic!, 28 Mar. 2016
I was a little wary of buying such a cut-price product, but my daughter loves pugs and owns a 2nd Gen Moto G, so it was worth taking the very small risk of potential disappointment. I was hugely pleased to see that it's a perfect fit for the phone, and my daughter is delighted with it. The stylus works nicely too. I doubt that my daughter will use the screen protector, but it was most certainly in the package. So, good phone case, which fits the model indicated very nicely, at a good price. It arrived very quickly too, so a little respect to the seller as well as the item.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power with Flexball Technology Men's Razor with 9 Razor Blades, Special Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a baby's bottom, but close..., 30 July 2015
I've always been a little sceptical about the claims made by the manufacturers of multi-blade razor systems like this in relation to the quality of facial hair removal that can be achieved, but I've tired of the frankly dodgy shave quality that the disposables twin-blade razors that I've been using for the past year or so have offered, and plumped for one of these blighters.

I have to say that I'm impressed. Oh it isn't flawless, there's still a hint of faint stubble around the more awkward corners of my face and neck when I'm finished (maybe my face is just too ill-shapen), but I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth a result I obtained after one pass, and it got better with a second run over. It's the best razor I've used in 36 years of shaving and I'm pleased that I bought it. Not so pleased that I'm going to buy the company, but pleased enough to spend five minutes offering my thoughts to my fellow wet shavers on Amazon.

All the best...

Max Value USB 2.0 13 Port Hub
Max Value USB 2.0 13 Port Hub
Offered by World of Data Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hub., 22 Sept. 2014
Bought in early 2011, this hub has worked very well until late 2014. Unfortunately mine has now just failed and will need to be replaced.
So, this hub isn't immortal, but I've had three-and-a-half years of reliable service for what is a decent price. I ran a printer, sound card, display adapter, headset/microphone, laptop cooling plinth and a variety of storage devices through this simultaneously for that time, while occasionally charging my phone, without any trouble until its sudden demise. Worth picking up by my estimation, but it will die eventually.

Brain Salad Surgery
Brain Salad Surgery

1.0 out of 5 stars No 5.1 mix on the DVD-A in the 3-disc set, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brain Salad Surgery (Audio CD)
I'm not the first to point this out, but it's worth reiterating: there's no 5.1 mix on the DVD-A that comes as part of the 3-disc set
I already own the original DVD-A, released in 2001, and its thoroughly satisfactory surround mix, but I was happy to fork out for another version.

What can I say? I like surround mixes, and Brain Salad Surgery is an unequivocally great album (apart from Benny the Bouncer, obviously) so I was hugely disappointed to find that the DVD-A that comes as part of the 3-disc set only includes a couple of stereo mixes that sound like they were recorded inside a cardboard box. This is a despicable act of chicanery by Sony. I'll be damned if I'll spend £60 on the super deluxe box to buy another decrepit Manticore Special DVD, so I guess I'll forego this round of Brain Salad Surgery re-re-re-re-releases and pick up the Blu-Ray (or its successor) when that eventually hits the marketplace.

Shame on you Sony...

JUSTOP Jtouch 7 HD Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet PC A9 Dual-Core 1.6Ghz CPU 1GB RAM 8GB NAND Flash 7" 1024 x 600 Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen - web Camera - HDMI - Supports SKYPE , Youtube, BBC iPlayer , NetFlix , Facebook, FilmON , TV Catchup

1.0 out of 5 stars OK, if you're easily pleased..., 2 Sept. 2013
...and luckily the recipient of this item, bought as a gift, was quite easy to please, being but 9 years of age and with no previous experience of tablet use. As a lot of other reviewers have noted, battery life can be hit or miss. The item I received was rather more miss than hit, the battery having never lasted more than an hour of even light use before needing to be reacquainted with the mains. And it always took a little bit of a tussle to happily seat the charging cable in the mini-USB socket. Still, the intended user had no urge to watch films outdoors, and it was easy to fulfil her tablet requirements with the charge-lead in situ. From that perspective, it's not a bad bit of kit as long as you're not expecting great things.

After slightly more than 6 months however, the tablet became unchargeable. All of my guile was insufficient to coax a response out of the battery. It seems that the initially temperamental charge socket has stopped playing altogether, and the tablet is unusable.

For the price of less than a tank of petrol, it has brought a little joy of the type intended when it was purchased, and if you're after a bare bones beginners tablet - and you get one of the better ones of the batch - this is a decent enough little tablet, but build quality (especially battery life) is obviously an issue here, so if you can afford a better tablet, it would probably be a false economy to skimp on the outlay and take a risk with this one.

As it has a 12 month warranty, I shall see what the sellers make of my request for refund/replacement...

Well, the vendors replaced it, although I had to pay about £15 to return the original tablet to China by tracked delivery. And the replacement held its charge much better, for all of two months, after which it simply stopped working one day. Bricked in the middle of Temple Run 2. Utterly beyond any means of resurrection at my disposal. Clearly this is a pretty unreliable bit of kit and I shall seek a refund rather than a replacement. It would seem that these tablets, by and large, really aren't of merchandisable quality.

(Edit)

But it was replaced yet again, and the third tablet died after three days, becoming unchargeable after barely any use at all. One dodgy tablet is unfortunate, two is careless, but three is reprehensible. Only buy this item if you really can't find anything else, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding a better alternative.

StarTech.com 5ft Desktop USB Extension Cable - A Male to A Female - 5 ft USB A to A Extension Cable - 5ft USB 2.0 Extension cord

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and functional, 6 April 2013
Well, it's a USB extension cable, so it doesn't have to achieve great things to fulfil its role in life, but I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdily constructed this bit of kit is; a decent thick cable (nothing flimsy) and a substantial end into which your USB accessories fit. The vertical orientation of the USB female socket means that it isn't perfect if you wish to plug another cable into it, but I picked it up in order to bring my USB mouse dongle into closer proximity to my cordless mouse and thereby reduce interference from my new 5GHz router, and it's done the trick very nicely indeed. I can’t offer any opinion on transfer rates that might be achieved if you were to use one of these to attach an external HDD, but it’s fine for my purposes and well worth the outlay.

Car charger for SAMSUNG GALAXY S/S2/ACE/WAVE/WAVE 2/MINI
Car charger for SAMSUNG GALAXY S/S2/ACE/WAVE/WAVE 2/MINI

2.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care, 13 April 2012
As a charger, it did what it should; after something like half-a-dozen uses however, it fell to bits. Unfortunately it did so while I was removing it from the lighter socket in my car and an important component disappeared without trace. Time for a new car charger then...

Well, it's cheap and it does what it should, but be warned that it needs to be handled with exquisite care if its to last more than a couple of months. I may pick up a more sturdy charger next time.

Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law 1 [DVD] [2002] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law 1 [DVD] [2002] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's the man in the suit?, 3 Sept. 2006
It was only by the best of good fortune that a connecting flight from Minneapolis to Chicago was cancelled at the last minute, leaving me to twiddle my thumbs overnight in a Holiday Inn miles from anywhere worth going to. Twiddly thumbs will eventually chance across the TV remote, and so it was that I found myself exploring the dreary depths of American TV after hours on a Sunday evening. It was by this means that I stumbled across [adult swim] during one of the apparently-infrequent occasions when Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law was being broadcast.

For those who don't know, Birdman was a Hanna-Barbera cartoon superhero of the late 60s. Apparently successful enough in his own time (despite the "second-rate" epithet bestowed upon him by his resurrectors), he was sacrificed to the demands of the time that children's TV should show less violence. Job opportunities for unemployed superheroes being limited, he retrained as an Attorney. OK, the result is not a life-changing experience, but it is unusual in being a piece of adult TV that makes me laugh out loud at least once an episode. Part of its appeal arises from the angle that the series takes of looking at old cartoon characters, with whom we're mostly familiar, from an entirely novel perspective and imbuing them with characteristics that, although not admirable, we know, as adults, that real people have. Part arises from simply being funnily scripted.

This two-DVD set series documents the first thirteen episodes of his TV series in which he typically (but not invariably) defends his fellow Hanna-Barbera characters in the court of law. This includes his defence of Shaggy and Scooby-Doo against charges of recreational substance abuse; of Fred Flintstone against charges of racketeering, and of himself against the charge of murdering the Blue Falcon's associate Dyno-mutt. There are a handful of extras thrown it too. It's not a whole lot to be honest, given that it comes on 2 DVDs, but as there's no other way of getting a fix of Harvey Birdman in the UK, it's entirely self-recommending. Luckily the second two-DVD set is scheduled for release in the late autumn, so the fix will be an even bigger one soon.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A decent pair of earphones..., 26 Feb. 2006
I picked a pair of these little blighters up to replace the Sony MDR-EX71SL earphones that I owned until a recent, bizarre cable-chopping accident. I must admit that the praise that has been heaped upon them (for the best part) is fully warranted. For a significant saving in £ sterling, these earphones offer sound that is both brighter and offers up more ooomph(!) than the Sony competition, while being more substantial in the hand. Thankfully they're just as comfortable (or uncomfortable if you prefer) as the Sony pair I owned previously so there's no added torment.
Admittedly they lack the added extras that the Sony offers, like the little pouch and ear-piece holder, and the one piece cable might not be everyone's preference, but I've still got the bits that came with my old earphones, so I'm alright!