Profile for S. Bell > Reviews

Knit Your Own Kama Sutra
by Trixie Von Purl
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just naked dolls, 29 Jan. 2015
Very good value for money; lots of patterns for making dolls and their clothes, surprisingly suitable for your grandchildren. Just choose carefully where you use the book; perhaps when babysitting would not be the best time (unless you photocopy the bit you are working on?).

The range of characters and outfits and accessories is great - including hikers, complete with tent and rucksack (he keeps his boots on!) - an air stewardess (mile high) - a rustic farmer (roll in the hay) and suited businessman.

Kindle Paperwhite (6th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars Much poorer than the old Kindle keyboard for pdf documents, 27 Oct. 2014
Most of you out there will probably be using your Kindle for its main purpose, reading books, and I'm sure it is fine for that. But, in case you are tempted to use it for pdf documents - beware.

I have used my old kindle keyboard a lot for sheet music. For my birthday I got a paperwhite - a bit higher screen definition, back lighting and more memory. So, I then proceeded to put all my pdf music files onto it - UNREADABLE!!!!!! Half the stave lines are missing at random. So I phone up Kindle help and they say that I have to send them ALL via my new Kindle email address so that they can be optimised for this particular Kindle, rather than using the usb. Aaagrh!!!!!

Once I had recovered from the shock I then started to send the files. Guess what - still unreadable! So, I phone their help desk again (which does respond very well). They suggest that I magnify the screen - I point out that then I would then have to scroll across, which is hardly practical when playing! All they can offer is to swap for a tablet and refund the difference, but they won't refund for the cover, because we got that in Argos. Argos won't refund for the cover, because there is nothing wrong with it. And, in any case, a tablet won't do what I want - it has a vastly shorter battery life and isn't readable in bright light conditions.

We are currently scouring the net to find other ways of sorting out the pdf files (others have had the same problem), but we shouldn't have to do it - I don't expect that buying a newer Kindle would mean that the performance is worse!!!!

Hinged Earring Screen Holds over 125 Pairs of Earrings
Hinged Earring Screen Holds over 125 Pairs of Earrings
Offered by Grandma's Home Shopping

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for hanging earrings, 20 Jan. 2011
This is great for storing dangley earrings in a compact space. The only reason why I have deducted a star is because it does not take anywhere near as many pairs as it says on the description. More like 80 pairs. But, 80 pairs tidier is good! When this is full I'll be getting another the same.

Snazaroo 30ml Face and Body Paint Pot (Bright Green)
Snazaroo 30ml Face and Body Paint Pot (Bright Green)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good face paint, 20 Jan. 2011
Snazaroo make excellent face paints; easy to use, stay put once dry and wash off well. The colour can be applied lightly or densely, either with a sponge for large areas, or brush for detail. This purchase was to replace my previous pot of the same which I had finished.

Calendar for Kindle 2011
Calendar for Kindle 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 20 Jan. 2011
The preview of this is small and doesn't allow you to add notes, which means that it is difficult to assess how useful it is (this applies to other Kindle calendars as well). Anyway, I bought it and tried to put in my appointments today, but have quickly become very frustrated. If you put a note on the table of dates (there is a table for each month) it is very unclear which day you are putting it on and it is easy to put the appointment on the wrong day. If you click to the left of a number the note number appears to the right when completed. If you put the cursor to the right of the number then the note links to the next number. If you have temporarily forgotten this and add another note, it just overwrites the previous note, with no warning (this is a function of the Kindle itself). So you can easily delete appointments without realising.
That is the table part of it. You can also put notes onto the list of dates below the table. But, as a previous reviewer noted, this doesn't have the days of the week on it, so you keep having to check back with the table (which may be on the previous page) to check days. The ability to accidentally delete a previous note also applies here, though as each date is on a new line it is slightly less likely. If you really want to try this it is probably safest to have one note for each day and edit it to add other appointments.
Having spent a couple of hours battling I'm going back to my old paper diary for the moment and will try to get a refund from Amazon for this. I know it is only 86 pence, but I object to paying for a useless product. Shame as I really wanted to be able to use my Kindle as a diary.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2011 5:43 PM GMT

Lonely Planet India  (Country Guide)
Lonely Planet India (Country Guide)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition lighter but maps difficult, 9 Jan. 2011
I bought a paper copy of this last year. Excellent information, but agree with others that it is too heavy if you are backpacking. My solution was drastic - I took a sharp knife to the binding and used gaffer tape. But this year I have a Kindle, so I can take the whole book and a lot of others for minimal weight. Certainly think that if you are a regular traveller you should think about this. Just remember to take a plug adaptor!
One comment on the Kindle content - maps are not easy to see as they are broken up into sections. While you can view each section well you have to go back to scroll to the next section. And if there are two sections on a page, one above the other, they actually show the ones that should be side by side. Very confusing!
I still feel that I'd rather take a Kindle with me than the paper book.

Gardman Feeding Station Kit
Gardman Feeding Station Kit
Offered by Longacres Garden Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Gardman Feeding Station Kit
I bought one of these from a local garden centre, at a considerably higher price, and was pleased to see this to give as a present. If you have a squirrel problem in your garden you may need to buy the inverted dome to stop them jumping up from the ground. We find that we need to bunch up all the feeders near the top as well.
Only problem - the bowl gets very brittle when cold. So, if you are putting out fresh water for the birds, when all is frozen, don't try to knock the ice out or the bowl shatters. You can easily replace it with a plant saucer though.

Mark Twain's Burlesque Autobiography
Mark Twain's Burlesque Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief but amusing, 5 Jan. 2011
I'm working my way through the free books for Kindle and this was one that I enjoyed considerably. A classic bit of Mark Twain's writing; very witty. All too brief though!

Worldwide Wheelie Bag w/o Daybag
Worldwide Wheelie Bag w/o Daybag

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value wheelie bag, 5 Jan. 2011
I looked for a while before I found this. It's a reasonable size if you want to keep your load down without being so small that you are wondering how little underwear you can get away with! Comfortable to carry on the back and wheels fine. The absence of the day sack (presumably why these are priced so competetively) doesn't look odd.

Brother TZE231 - Laminated tape - black on white - Roll (1.2 cm x 8 m) - 1 roll(s)
Offered by Alba Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars As described - what more can I say?, 5 Jan. 2011
Amazon do ask you to do reviews for some odd things. All I can say about this was that it was exactly what it said it was.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3