Profile for Mitchell > Reviews

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
by David Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not about David Walsh..., 14 Jun. 2015
A little self-endulgent with a dose of I told-you-so smugness. Here's the rub, I doubt any/many readers will have the remotest interest in the life story of David Walsh and I found his need to present his own history got in the way of the real story - and the real reason why most people are reading the book (the downfall of Lance Armstrong).
You could argue the context had relevance but I felt it was an effort to establish his own credibility and enhance his own public profile. Ego?
None the less, its an important read for anyone interested in the rise and fall of Lance Armstrong.
The entire 'duel' between these two (Lance v David) is quite fascinating though and at times I felt that this wasn't really about the doping. It was far more personal, and in some respects the doping was the weapon with which David Walsh could and would ultimately win the war. Were David's motives for the better good of pro cycling or was the goal to beat Lance? Lance was the Alpha Top Dog and I think a psychologist would possibly discover a deep-seated desire in David to unthrone the Top Dog to feel better about himself. In some respects they are probably driven in similar ways to be the best.
For Lance, I feel he was doing what he had to do. He was a born winner and nothing was going to stop him getting to the top. The sport required doping to get to the top and so he did it - he had no choice. He then had to act the way he did to protect himself - it became self-preservation. I'm not in anyway condoning this or taking a moral view, but I think he was propelled by a force not many of us possess. This led to bad things.
Personally I'm still inspired by someone who is so head strong and determined and who achieved what he did. Its the trait of a natural leader and we are all programmed to follow great leaders because with them we have the best chance of survival. He got up there on the stage and did his thing, he didn't sit in the audience and heckle and I admire that.

Fury [DVD]
Fury [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt

3.0 out of 5 stars The Mexican!....Really?, 14 April 2015
This review is from: Fury [DVD] (DVD)
A good film, but didn't quite live up to the hype in my view.
For me there was too much effort at political correctness which deviated from being realistic. I may be wrong on this point but -
1. How many Mexican's served as tank crew in WW2?
2. How many of those Mexican would have been over weight?
3. How many of those Mexicans would have street style based in 2010? (Goatee beard, top button done up on shirt, gold chain necklace worn outside the shirt?
Didn't anyone on the set think Michael Pena was probably stretching things a wee bit? It's almost as bad as Donald Sutherland 1960's Hippie character in Kellys Hero's.
Afraid I need believable accuracy in a film that's based on real historical events.

Xbox 360 250GB Console
Xbox 360 250GB Console
Offered by DEP.PRODUCTS

1.0 out of 5 stars Great technology but constant updates and cynical marketing kills it, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Console)
Great fun when it works. Total pain in the ass when it has to install updates (constantly) and when the marketing team are so focussed on data capture and up-selling to kids that they put the player experience second.
I remember the day when you turned on a games station and inside 10 seconds you were up and running - playing the game. Maybe its's just me, but that is the fundamental point isn't it - to play the game? Not to me sold to, up sold to Xbox Live, Gold etc.
Countless times my 7 year old has turned on the Xbox eager to get stuck into a game and connect with his friends. Only to discover it needs yet another update. I wouldn't mind if this was a 20 second process, but no this could be 30 minutes of frustrated 7 year old time. Just want to play the game!!
Big corporates only want to data capture, profile, tie you in, up sell to you, get your credit card details, get you on a monthly charge structure, sell your data to partner companies...etc.
Yes the technology is great but the focus is no longer on the player experience its on how you're going to leverage that player to get as much money out of them as possible. Yes that's business in a cut throat sector, but it stinks. I've bought a games console to play games - if I wanted to be exploited I'd play internet games and accept the marketing accept as part and parcel of that sector.

Scalextric Start C1273 Disney Cars 2 1:32 Scale Race Set
Scalextric Start C1273 Disney Cars 2 1:32 Scale Race Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Trading on history, 27 Dec. 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was truly excited to be introducing the world of Scalectrix to my 4 year old son - however it wasn't as good as I expected.

What frustrates me is that Scalectrix (Hornby) have been trading on this concept for over 50 years, enjoyed years of global domination and yet they clearly have invested not 1 penny in development or innovation. And yet they charge a massive premium for their name, which frankly I now know if a pretty flimsy offering.

Me and my son spent at least an hour on Xmas morning trying to get the thing to work. Yes it finally did crack into life but the thing is so tempremental you are lucky to get more that 4 minutes use out of the thing before some other issue crops up and has to be sorted.

Any share holders and the management team at Hornby are making a very nice profit churning out exactly the same kit they did 50 years ago. If they have no aspiration to innovate then they will only stay in business as long as nostolgic fools like me buy a Scalectrix to relive the fun with their sons. It simply is not up to scratch.

Given the technological advancements we have seen over the past 50 years I have to say Scalectrix is a joke.

Only purchase if you are happy to endure what it was like to play with a toy in 1955.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 5:01 PM BST

Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Price: £11.52 - £48.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but one issue..., 18 Dec. 2009
I've used both an older version Helly and now this more recent version (Lifa). As a base layer the old version was great, had a cotton feel, wicked well and did the job.
This more recent version has a very different feel to it, I guess best described as a nylon feel. This in its self is not an issue, but having used a few times now as a base layer for winter runs I have to report sore nipples are the outcome from moderate 50 minute runs every time...and that is not what I want or expect from Helly.
I've run in basic cotton t-shirts as well as Nike running tops and never had sore nipples - the only exception being when I got soaked in a downpour on a very long run.
I'm baffled that a brand such as Helly, with a heritage of performance base layer for athletes has produced a product that is so abrasive - was it thoroughly tested?? Or is this just effecting me??
Who know's, but this is what happened and it's annoyed me so much that I felt compelled to review it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2015 8:38 PM GMT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor after sales service, 4 Dec. 2007
Whilst the product does the job and is pretty much as you'd expect from a middle priced brand the after sales service is poor.
My remote control stopped working after 3 months (yes checked the batteries!!) so I contacted Goodmans. They came up with every excuse in the book as to why they were not responsible for the product...how I should contact the retailer and it was nothing to do with them.
By comparison, I had a Humax freeview box a few years back, remote packed in, so I contacted them and they immediately posted a new one.
Seems to me that the big brands don't give a stuff about customer satisfaction - they got their sell now you're on your own. Shame really, for the sake of a small cost remote control I'll never buy Goodmans again.