Profile for Rob Taylor > Reviews

Content by Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best travel pillow!, 23 Sept. 2015
After buying microbead and U shaped memory foam travel pillows in addition to the J pillow, I can say that this is by far the best! You can bend it to use in different positions, depending on how you are sitting. I find that this one gives lots of support for your neck, and your head doesn't roll about. Would definitely recommend.

Immunity
Immunity

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome evolution, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Immunity (MP3 Download)
I first discovered Jon's music a couple of years ago and, like many, was enamoured by Opalescent. It was melodic and ethereal without being 'new age', and struck a great balance between emotion and electronics. Likewise with Contact Note, which I saw as a decent step forward for Jon's sound. When Insides hit in 2009, I was at first shocked by the harder-hitting more industrial sound but soon fell in love with that album too (particularly Light Through the Veins which I play almost daily on my commute).

So here we are in 2013, and Immunity is finally upon us. I've read a few customer reviews and some seem disappointed by Jon's slightly 'glitchier' sound, but I personally see this as a huge step forward. Rather than being synthetic and false-sounding like some downtempo artists, Jon uses real-world sounds to create a far more organic feeling that permeates the disc. Tracks like 'Open Eye Signal' and 'Sun Harmonics' benefit from these inclusions. Additionally we're treated to Jon's masterful use of the piano, and the closer - 'Immunity' - is now firmly one of my favourite Hopkins tracks. Sure, it's a slow burner, but this is music that's meant to be listened to more than once; it's an album you really need to immerse yourself in. One listen just won't cut it.

If you're still on the fence about Immunity, I urge you to spin it a few more times before casting judgement. It's a journey that may take a while to get underway, but once it does, it's one you'll want to take again and again.

Top-notch stuff, Jon; long may it continue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 1:44 PM GMT

HG Wells Classic Collection
HG Wells Classic Collection
by H.G. Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent introduction to an all-time classic author, 20 Dec. 2010
This wonderful hardback edition features five of H.G Wells' most well-known books: The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon and The Invisible Man. Whilst I won't comment on the quality of the stories individually (you should already know how great they are), I will say that this book is a delight.

It feels great to hold, and the striking red faux-leather and reflective lettering is a triumph. It just has 'classic' written all over it (not literally). I am proud to have this one on display on my book shelf, and I can easily imagine my handing this down to my kids one day.

Highly recommended to anyone that can read - and a GREAT introduction to one of our most beloved authors. Even if you're not a fan of 'sci-fi', you need only take two words away from this review: buy it.