Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Beowulf: A New Translation
Beowulf: A New Translation
by Seamus Heaney

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truely Great Book., 20 Mar. 2003
Having already read a translation of this fantastic story from the fifties, and being a poor student, I was not really looking for another version to bite into my limited 'book fund'. However, when I saw that Seamus Heaney had written a new translation that had also won the coveted 'Whitbread Book of the Year', I couldn't resist.
I am so glad I bought this book. I always felt that the early version was somewhat slow and difficult to read, but Heaneys text flows off the page and ignites the imagination the way I'm sure the original author intended.
The prose is elegant in its simplicity, "I shall... prove myself with a proud deed, or meet my death here in the mead-hall". A true poet of Heaney's stature is needed to do justice to a work such as Beowulf.
The story itself is certainly the most imaginative and inspirational I have ever read. It also gives a remarkable insight into dark age warriors lives and beliefs.
In summary I cannot recomend this book enough. This version is accessible to anyone not just students of literature. With one click of your mouse you could read one of the greatest and most important works of literature ever written!