Profile for Girl > Reviews

Girl

Elling [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Elling [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on "Beyond Greate Indoors"..., 25 Oct. 2008
... by Ingvar Ambjoernsen.

If you have not read the book; by it! If you have not seen the film; by that one as well.

Here in Norway it was actually done as a play, before they did the film; best play I`ve been to. Ever! The characters in the film are played by the same actors, and they do it well.

The film is about two men who comes out from a psyciatric clinic, and how they deal with their battles of moving into a flat in Oslo, adapting to real life. It`s a heart warming movie. It makes you laugh, and it makes you feel for crying. As you do not laugh off these two fellows; you laugh with them.

It manages to raise the same issues as the book, in a warm and witty way; how to deal with anxiethy.

Crayola Mini Kids - First Create and Learn Collection
Crayola Mini Kids - First Create and Learn Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth of money and loads of fun, 26 Mar. 2007
It includes so many Crayola Mini Kids things that bying the pack instead of the different things it is like a bargain. And a child who`s a year old dosn`t need more different colors than the ones it contains.

And maybe more important it provides hours with loads of fun!

I am so happy Crayola has created this range; insted of your child getting yet another toy with yet another sound that drives you mad...

You have to sit down together though, but that is what makes it fun, not only for children but us grown ups as well.

The downside is that the parental guide does not give you many creative ideas; only one for each year

Mio, My Son
Mio, My Son
by Astrid Lindgren

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly reccomendable, 11 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Mio, My Son (Paperback)
I would sadly it seems like the books of Pippi Longstocking are the once most translated to English and easiest to get hold of, as others by Astrid Lindgren are so much better; like this one...

It`s about an adopted boy - Bosse - living with his "aunt" and "uncle" who really dosn`t want him.

But one day he`s given a golden apple together with a card from a lady who likes him and this takes him to "the land long away" where he meets his "dad" the king of this country.

He gets new friends, a horse that even can fly and you read about things like storytellings well.

Though it turns out Mio (Bosse) is there on a mission...

It`s a book about a bravery, that not all childhoods are so easy; like in all the fairytails.

Lindgren wrote it all in such a beautiful storytelling way that I`ve currently reread it as a grown up and really enjoyed it

Hihgly reccomendable!

Rudebox [Special Edition]
Rudebox [Special Edition]
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars "I found myself by circumstance"..., 30 Oct. 2006
This seems to be the ALBUM of the year that even music critics either love or hate. When Escapology came out it was an album that sort of had grow on you because it was different, and this is another one that might need that...

Some of the songs are simply electro/rap/pop that dosn`t give me anything, but then there`s these tracks that are so brilliant they lift the album to a totally different level:

The first time I listened to Viva Life On Mars I went "oh no! what on earth is this country inspired sound doing on a RW cd?" The second time; "it`s actually not that bad" and it`s still growing on me

Bongo Bongo is one of several coverversions, but I so want to go on hols!

She`s Madonna might be the most commercial track, but elctro pop at it`s best and I can`t figure out why on earth it`s not released as the albums second single!?!

Louise is another coverversion, but who else than RW can make electro pop sound sad?

Good Doctor is another musical mix and I actually tried hating it. But it`s jazzy and soo swings! And that in the combination with some pretty serious lyrics; I find it to be the best track on the album. Simply can`t stop playing it!!!

If Robbie ever manages to pull off Keep On live I`ll simply take my hat off and bow, but it`s such a mental musical mix I can`t decide if I like it or not; I`ll either end up loving it or hating it...

The album is def different, it`s brave, thankfully not so comercial as the previuos ones the musical critics love and as RW at last - according to himself - is making music like the one he likes all I have to say is FINALLY!!!

I`d given this product a 5 star + if it wasn`t for the DVD.

The documentary is more or less simply combined clips of behind the scenes from the Close Encounters Tour; if you`re an ISmember you`ve already seen most of them. It gave an instant feeling of a recordcompany going "let`s make even more money". Though with that in mind, if you`ve read Feel it confirms what the recordindustry is all about. And you get to see - the only pluss - the moodswings of RW and might manage to find some sort of truth in there.
Rudebox perfomed live at Leeds:naah! They could have put the music video in insted.
And to add a trailer for the forthcomming RW-dvd; EMI please.....

Beyond The Great Indoors
Beyond The Great Indoors
by Ingvar Ambjørnsen

5.0 out of 5 stars There`s a Elling in all of us, 14 Oct. 2006
Who`s to decide what`s normal?

In short the book is about Elling and Kjell Bjarne struggeling their way back into society. What all individuals take for granted - like going to the store being an extreme expedition - is their battelfield.

The author manages the impossible of taking up the very important subjects of neuroses and suffering from anxiethy attacks through fiction written in a warm and funny way. Though you don`t laugh at the two "originals"; you laugh with them.

And if you think about it, to a certan extent; there`s a Elling in all of us...

Four Quartets (Faber Poetry)
Four Quartets (Faber Poetry)
by T. S. Eliot

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 16 Sept. 2006
I am hooked, and I don`t even like poetry. At least that was what I thought before I started reading Four Quartets.

I think it can be read in two ways.
One can either read it and focus on all the beautiful pictures used; it is plenty of them, and the reason I picked it up in the first place after having heard some quotations.
Or one can dig deeper trying to figure out what Eliot meant; looking at it like a journey where nearly every sentence refers to something.

It is not an easy read, but I would highly reccomend it to anyone who has read quite an amount of books, as it simply is a masterpiece!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2009 11:45 AM GMT

Robbie Williams: Photographs 1993-1999 by Fryderyk Gabowicz: Live, Private, Backstage
by Sabine Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Aug. 2006
Bought this book both as a fan of Robbie and photos as an for om art; def serve both purposes!

In many ways a picture does say more than a 1000 words and some of them do as they`re quite strong, you can see the struggles

Only downside; I`m not sure wheter the book is worth it`s price

Feel: Robbie Williams
Feel: Robbie Williams
by Chris Heath

5.0 out of 5 stars The man, the myth, the truth..?, 19 July 2006
This review is from: Feel: Robbie Williams (Hardcover)
There are so many things said about Robbie Williams and as it says on the cover "The thruth is in here, somwhere"; I think it`s right

I read the book the day it came out and have read it again. It`s a strong story; very sad, covers the contradictions, is witty, honest and brave in its many ways - having a journalist put into print when your actually not being such a nice bloke...
It tells it all!!!

And as Chris Heath also focuses on the downsides of being famous, I even think it might be a book for those who arn`t Robbie fans