Profile for saxon1968 > Reviews

saxon1968

Avonmore
Avonmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Ferry Quality, 6 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Avonmore (Audio CD)
An album that just oozes depth and quality, it sounds better each time you listen to it, sound wise it's in a similar vain to Mamona and Bete Noir, it still sounds modern and up to date with typical Ferry quality.The sound production is immaculate.
An excellent recording with Ferry on top form, as usual.

Pandora Inn
Pandora Inn
by Lliam West

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Pandora Inn (Paperback)
But didn't, bought it while on holiday in Cornwall as it was by a local author.
I was expecting a clever espionage thriller... sadly although very detailed, it was very disjointed and made little sense in the end.
When I finished it I just thought.. eh?
Shame as the cover makes it look like its going to be good, but you should never judge a book....

Mamouna
Mamouna
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars If you thought Bete Noir was moody..., 13 July 2013
This review is from: Mamouna (Audio CD)
Being a massive Ferry fan I rushed out and bought this as soon as it came out in 94. And although I liked it, it was not on my stereo every night for months like Bête Noir ( bought that on vinyl, no CD then, and nearly wore it out!) and I gradually listened to it less and less, my girlfriend at the time thought it was depressing and would not listen to it!( she was a Luther Van Dross fan, so enough said!)

About 8 years later on a whim, I played it one dark Autumn Sunday afternoon and totally got it! yes it is dark and moody and all the better for it add the pure quality of the music and it is beyond the perfect album. How easy is it to get lost in 'your painted smile' my personal favourite on the album. The title track Mamouna just sounds great and chain reaction is so slick it's untrue. The production value on this album is so high it is off the scale! I look upon listening to this CD as a bit of treat now!
Bête Noir was always my favourite Ferry solo, the moody feel for a teenager in the mid 80's was perfect, but this is darker, moodier and magnificent and in my opinion, very similar to Ferry's 2010 offering Olympia, with it's quality production.
You may have to listen to it a few times, but it will come. if you are expecting 'Lets stick together' you will be disappointed.
I can only agree with all the other reviewers on here there is a depth and quality to this album that not everyone will get and that's a real shame, but it is a classic.

Dick Turpin The Complete Series [DVD]
Dick Turpin The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard O'Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't stand, get it delivered!, 18 Feb. 2013
I remember watching this as a kid in the late 70's,
it seemed pretty good fun then, so I thought I would give it another go.
And I wasn't disappointed, made by a team including British quality TV stalwart Richard Carpenter,who also brought us the excellent Smuggler & Catweazle (as well as many others).
This is a quality show,from the moment Turpins horse rears up in the moonlight to the strains of the spooky theme tune, you are hooked! the stories are excellent, with the right mix of drama and comedy, with the 'Upright Man' being my favorite, Richard O'sullivan is excellent as Turpin,as are all the cast really, the villains ham it up nicely and It looks good,attention to detail has been paid to clothing and the way people spoke in the 18th Century, unlike later offerings such as BBC's Robin Hood where they all seemed to wear modern clothing and Robin himself spoke as if he had just walked out of an episode of Corrie!
If you are a fan of nostalgic British TV, when people made the effort, do yourself a favour and snap this up, you won't be disappointed!

Luke's Kingdom - The Complete Series [DVD]
Luke's Kingdom - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Oliver Tobias
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Home & Away it ain't!, 6 Jun. 2012
A friend told me to get a copy of this by hook or by crook, and now I'm telling you!
This is simply one of the best series I have ever watched! and I don't say that lightly.The series shows the struggle for survival in the early days of Australia in all it's brutal, corrupt, lawless and miserable glory,no punches are pulled,and it makes the wild west look like Trumpton!if you don't know the history, it will open your eyes about the things that went on! considering it was made in the 70's ( The theme tune is very much of it's time) it is simply outstanding and is almost something that HBO could have made now.
Tobias is excellent as the determined,violent and very flawed 'hero'(you'll see why) who will stop at nothing to protect his family's land,but all the cast are good and the stories are well written and filmed, you will get frustrated at Luke's father, who just does not get it! Watch one episode, you will watch the whole series, it reels you in.
Probably the best £26 I have ever spent,highly recommended.